Thoughts on the 3DS Demo?

NEWB

First thing I noticed is that hitboxes on projectiles especially are super precise. Not to say that they have bad range, it's just legitimately possible for small characters to go beneath fireball and thunder jolt.

Second thing is that though gravity is only slightly heavier than in brawl, fast falling seems MUCH more er..... You fall faster when you fastfall.

It also seems that throws are generally much more useful and some are strong indeed.

Doqtor Kirby

Resident Design Nitpicker
Minus Backroom
You can't DI or tech, since Robin technically isn't ever leaving the ground. It's a forced reset.
You can't DI on the ground?

What is this, Japanese Smash 64?

Thor

I was curious if you could try to SDI some of the moves, even if SDI is apparently reduced in efficacy - also that infinite has been tested to work ONLY on Robin for whatever reason.

I think some throws are much less useful, because in Brawl many of them were good for their follow-up ability (Kirby d and fthrow notably), though the general power buff is sweet for KO throws (Kirby uthrow is good again).

Fastfalling feels downright meteoric in this one, while regular fallspeeds seem to vary but are closer to Brawl's than Melee's.

NEWB

I figured out how mega mans fair works! You use it like donkey kongs fair, try hitting with the top of the move or fastfall and hit with the bottom of the move, like a downwards karate chop. Or just be super precise when trying to approach with it, as the slash happens super fast.

At higher percents, you can DI out of links jabs, that or the timing changes cuz they have growth. Not really sure.

All multi hitting moves are really good now since they are forced to connect. I haven't seen anyone escape multi hit moves except links aerial upb. Though that may just be because hitbox placement and how each hit connects when they connect at a certain angle.... Not sure how to explain it better.

Tap jump is very toxic for me -_-

PowerUp

Quite a few multi hit moves don't auto-chain. Mario's dAir, Megaman's bAir and uAir, and even Link's uSmash just off the top of my head.

Tybis

Resident Minusaur
Minus Backroom
Fastfalling feels downright meteoric in this one, while regular fallspeeds seem to vary but are closer to Brawl's than Melee's.
Like Brawl Link? He had the fastest fastfall I think, while still being Brawl floaty.

Windego

Pew Pew Pew Buster
Finally got my hands on the demo today, and I'd be surprised if a few of you haven't as well. What are your thoughts on Smash 4 so far? I'm very pleased with what I see in the build. It's very hard to keep hitboxes out, and combined with no edgehogging, you have to make very deliberate approaches. If the rest of the cast is like the five in the demo, we'll have a very interesting meta game.

Also, Megaman is super underrated. I guess everyone was expecting him to be Toon Link v2 and just spam a shitload of projectiles the whole time, but the new system works hard to prevent that kind of playstyle. Instead, most of his attacks have tons of comittment but also tons of payoff, either in the form of damage, knockback, or coverage options. He's a very skill-based character with big rewards for reads, and there's always something you can be throwing to help you set up your next engagement.

I've been mostly maining Megaman, trying to learn how to play proper keep away and also trying to get used to doing pivot bairs but everyone in the demo other than Link is short enough to not get hit because Megaman's short hop barely goes above em. I'm trying to do the bairs as I fast fall to land em quick but it's hard on a circle pad.

Tybis

Resident Minusaur
Minus Backroom
Is it true that Link's shield actually deflects things while he walks now? If so, then can't he just kinda... walk up to Megaman and ignore his jabs/Fsmash/etc?

Thor

Is it true that Link's shield actually deflects things while he walks now? If so, then can't he just kinda... walk up to Megaman and ignore his jabs/Fsmash/etc?

I don't know about fsmash, but I've walked through his jab before [I still don't have it, but someone let me borrow their 3DS for like half an hour so I got a bit of time with it].

It's awesome.

Or else it's not true but I clearly though I was moving forward as the shield mooted out the pellets.

PowerUp

I've been mostly maining Megaman, trying to learn how to play proper keep away and also trying to get used to doing pivot bairs but everyone in the demo other than Link is short enough to not get hit because Megaman's short hop barely goes above em. I'm trying to do the bairs as I fast fall to land em quick but it's hard on a circle pad.

Don't try to play him like Marth. The bAir is okay, but it's not his bread and butter. You gotta learn his ground game.

Haven't tested against Megaman's smash, but the shield does block projectiles while walking.

Windego

Pew Pew Pew Buster

I've had CPU Link literally just stand still and Metal Blade/Charge Buster/Clash Bomb just hit his shield like nothing happened. Megaman has much better custom specials though so we'll see how those stack up.

Don't try to play him like Marth. The bAir is okay, but it's not his bread and butter. You gotta learn his ground game.

Haven't tested against Megaman's smash, but the shield does block projectiles while walking.

I usually just play a patient hit and run sort of game, whenever someone gets hit off stage I get close to the ledge and just fire charged buster shots. Works pretty well usually.

NEWB

It screws me up badly.... Also my circle bad is now falling victim to smash 4....

In case you guys didn't know, people are breaking their circle pad because they pressing on it too hard. I tried not too, but it's already suffering wear and tear. It looks like the circle pad wasn't built to handle smash.

The demo comes out at 9 am PST for everyone.

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
After playing for a week, I can safely say I'm very much looking forward to Smash 4. Everything feels really good, and the animations are super smooth. I like that a bunch of the multi-hit moves tend to connect hits more reliably.

Villager is gonna be a major player in the coming months once everyone gets the full game. His fsmash and tree are extremely dangerous against anyone trying to recover low, and his options are just amazing.

NEWB

Anyone have the pleasure of playing villager dittos with items and with real people?

Most fun you will ever have ever in a smash bros game. Ever. EVER. EVER!!

The items in this game are absolutely off the wall crazy and villager can abuse the shit out of all of them. We kept a boomerang alive the entire match and we weren't even trying to. The range pocket is so obscene. He can pocket items on the platform above him on battlefield.

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
Pocket a warp star.

NEWB

I know! So broke!

Pocket a bomb from sudden death. Pocket an enemy hothead. Move a bumper or unera (spiky ball stick to ground thing however it's spelt) out of the way. Play catch with a barrel simply by trying to use it on each other. Pocket a bomb or other deadly item and save it for later. So much shit you can do.

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
I actually played this. It feels right. Everything except for Link's dash attack....
It was also strange having to charge the FLUDD.
I apparently already had a PSA that was almost exactly like this Megaman, so I was used to it.
Pikacopter.

NEWB

You get used to links dash attack.

Used to charging fludd because fludd is normaly chargeable even in brawl.