Tha Spark monthlies

Baby_Sneak

THA SPARK (changed the terrible name)
uTRxybj.jpg
what i hope i achieve out of these tournaments are quality matches that shows brawl minus at a high lvl. the growth of a community needs such gameplay in order to truely SPARK. That being said, WELCOME TO THA SPARK
this tournament is set to start off on July, 9. EST: 3:00 PM. The neutral stages are in green. the counter picks are in orange.

• BattleField
  • Temple
  • SmashVille
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Yoshi's Island
  • Pokemon stadium 2
  • Rumble Falls
  • Wario Ware Inc.
  • Fountain of Dreams
  • Yoshi's Story
  • SkyWorld
  • Final Destination
  • Spear Pillar
any other stage is banned.

**note: i will cover the most important rules in green, and the second most important rules in light blue for your
convenience
  • monthlies, double elimination
  • 4 stock, 8 mins
  • Usually, sets between players are played best 2 out of 3 matches (using 3 out of 5 or 4 out of 7 for final rounds)
  • pausing is disabled
  • In the case that time runs out and both characters have an equal amount of lives, the character with less damage wins the match. If both characters have equal lives and damage, the match must be replayed; Sudden Death is strictly not to be played.
  • Players are given the option to "strike" stages from the random select (2 each).
  • the order of the strikes are,"1-2-2-1" that is, player 1 strikes, player 2 striker, player 2 again, and player 1 finally.
  • The loser of the first match (and of successive matches) chooses the next stage, and then the winner bans one stage and chooses his character, and then the loser chooses his character. This series of choices is called slob picks
  • The winner can also not choose any stage that has already been played earlier that round. This rule is known as "Dave's Stupid Rule," named after Scamp
  • any infinites done will have the limit of 200%. any more will have the player forfeit the round.
  • stalling is banned!!!!
  • In order to play in this tournament, you must check in with me before July, 8 EST: 10:30. max player is 16
  • if you disconnect thanks to the amazing servers, try to connect again for a round do-over. If you disconnect again, the person who had the less %/more stocks wins that round.
  • report to me how the sets went. Ex, Glyph 2-1 Baby_Sneak, and I'll tell you who will you battle. Ex, Glyph vs Kien
Also, I would greatly appreciate if most ( hopefully all) players save their games and post them on the brawl minus channel
people that are playing:

MegaSaturn99
Glyph
NEWB
Baby_Sneak (ofc :p)
doqtor kirby
bent 00
PowerUp
Pin Clock
Kien
owo
EDIT: for the people that was thrown off by the appearance of the bracket, this is not a doubles tournament, only singles. it just appears to look like that. look at the losers bracket.
EDIT 2: all who are participating, plz put your name as the same here. some guy called Gmoney was almost removed because i didnt know who he was, but just assumed since he know this thread, and brawl minus in particular, he would ok
EDIT 3: i serverly apologise for all the people who signed on to challonge.com for the tournament. i didnt realize there were far superior and accessible formats to use. im going to use a new way to sign you guys on. just ay you're in and i'll put your name in the spoilers. the spoilers confirms all who are participating in the event. thank you for your cooporation.
EDIT 4: bracket:

Tha spark bracket 1 1 1 1.png (note: doqk actually lost to NEWB, so yea)

Last edited by a moderator:

Baby_Sneak

I'm gonna be in DC for the first one :( I'm no good at wifi right now but it would have still been fun. Also should we use the modified Dave's stupid rule: You can't counterpick a stage you won on in a previous game? Also double or single elimination?
great questions, been thinking about it. i would say im definetly using the modified dave rule *editing. Also, i will cash in to neithor and run a round robin event, as it allows the most matches possible.

EDIT: i take it back, it wildly dpends on the amount of players at the tournament

Baby_Sneak

its fine, you could wopp me, and i come back and body everyone :p

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
Cool idea. If I'm available, I may participate

Glyph

Few things you should add to the OP:
-Number of stages players get to strike. As is, you say they have the option to do so but don't clarify how many. If you're keeping the stagelist as is, then I'd recommend letting them knock off around 5 or 6 a piece (leaving you with a much more manageable list of stages to play on)
-Do a little more with the rule for disconnecting. Something like 'if a game desyncs at any point during a game, that game is considered void. If it happens a second time, the player with the higher number of stocks at the time of the disconnect is given the win. In the occasion that both players can claim a lead due to an unclear disconnect time, then the game can either be replayed in full or rescheduled for a different time'. Its worth noting for this rule that if you're planning to do this tourney in a single day then that last bit wouldn't work.

Baby_Sneak

Few things you should add to the OP:
-Number of stages players get to strike. As is, you say they have the option to do so but don't clarify how many. If you're keeping the stagelist as is, then I'd recommend letting them knock off around 5 or 6 a piece (leaving you with a much more manageable list of stages to play on)
-Do a little more with the rule for disconnecting. Something like 'if a game desyncs at any point during a game, that game is considered void. If it happens a second time, the player with the higher number of stocks at the time of the disconnect is given the win. In the occasion that both players can claim a lead due to an unclear disconnect time, then the game can either be replayed in full or rescheduled for a different time'. Its worth noting for this rule that if you're planning to do this tourney in a single day then that last bit wouldn't work.
you're right about the strikes, sorry, im new to making a legit and amazing tourny. it'll come with more experience though.
I was thinking about this earlier, but i was scared that players wouldn't remember who had the most stocks, or %. However, I'll absolutely make sure to keep it in mind though.

Baby_Sneak

Hyrule 64 has a wall... Why is that included?

Also, pokestadium 2 is certainly nuetral.

Hyrule 64 was included as a neutral in the original smash bros, so i thought it could be useful in brawl minus. Regarding Pokemon stadium, I forgot about it not having transformations.

Baby_Sneak

Baby_Sneak if you allow Hyrule 64 I will use Sonic again. Also if you need help I am a part time TO so you can ask me questions if you want to.
grrrr, if only that move was cut... however, i have no problem. i could just strike that stage, if i win.

Thor

Should I register so that I can participate in future ones? I won't have Wifi for this but I can certainly register since I hope to be open for these after August 9th [this maaaay be subject to change, but HIGHLY improbable].

Some input on the ruleset:

Striking "1-2-2-1-1-2-2-1" the person who strikes second an advantage since they strike last - this either means people compete to strike second, or else striking should be "1-3-2-1-2-2-1" so that P1 gets 1, P2 gets 3, P1 gets 2, P2 gets 1, P1 gets 2, P2 gets 2, and P1 gets 1 for a total of 6 strikes to 6. I think striking second should NEVER be advantageous (you get to see their angle the whole time, and can strike around it) so I think the person who strikes first should get the bookends, so to speak.

Or we could just strike from starters - with starter numbers it would be "1-2-1-1-1" so P1 gets 1, P2 gets 2, P1 gets 1, P2 gets 1, P1 gets 1 (3 strikes each).

Baby_Sneak said:
Starters
final destination
battlefield
temple
smashville
lylat cruise
yoshi's story
Yoshi's Island
CP
Delfino plaza
Mushroom kingdom
Yoshi's story 64
Rumble falls
Hyrule castle
Frigate Orphan
Wario ware inc
Castle siege
New port city
Lavender town
Skyworld
Fountain of Dreams

FD, BF, SV, Lylat, and Yoshi's [both] are fine. Temple isn't a good starter in my opinion - I'm pretty sure they banned it (or the very similar stage) in PM because of how much mileage Falco gets out of it in PM - and our Falco has way better tools to camp than theirs, if it can be abused properly. If you think this may be a reason to change it, I think FoD is a good starter - the platforms are a bit interesting but they shouldn't mess up too much, and it certainly doesn't have any other problems with it. Then starters are still at 7, but there isn't a stage that may or may not be questionable relative to the other starters (while I can't think of anyone who can actually abuse FoD).

Your rule set should mention (even though it's a duh) that if time runs out and one player has more stocks than the other player, that player wins. It's not mentioned above, even though I'm sure pretty much everyone here knows it.

I don't know about Castle Siege (unless they put the floor back in on the second form) or Hyrule as legal stages - they sort of have really nasty parts to abuse (can make camping hell by breaking statues, and Hyrule is perfect for camping as is, given its walls and the like). New Pork is somewhat sketchy as well, but I doesn't make me think as hard as the first two do about whether to leave it for now or not. Otherwise, stage list looks great.

Also if we get an update and the SEP back, I 100% support the awesome Norfair (has 3 single platforms, no hazards) as a CP, as well as Peach's Castle 64 (if we can make sure all know how to choose the Bowser/at twilight version).

Baby_Sneak

Should I register so that I can participate in future ones? I won't have Wifi for this but I can certainly register since I hope to be open for these after August 9th [this maaaay be subject to change, but HIGHLY improbable].

Some input on the ruleset:

Striking "1-2-2-1-1-2-2-1" the person who strikes second an advantage since they strike last - this either means people compete to strike second, or else striking should be "1-3-2-1-2-2-1" so that P1 gets 1, P2 gets 3, P1 gets 2, P2 gets 1, P1 gets 2, P2 gets 2, and P1 gets 1 for a total of 6 strikes to 6. I think striking second should NEVER be advantageous (you get to see their angle the whole time, and can strike around it) so I think the person who strikes first should get the bookends, so to speak.

Or we could just strike from starters - with starter numbers it would be "1-2-1-1-1" so P1 gets 1, P2 gets 2, P1 gets 1, P2 gets 1, P1 gets 1 (3 strikes each).

FD, BF, SV, Lylat, and Yoshi's [both] are fine. Temple isn't a good starter in my opinion - I'm pretty sure they banned it (or the very similar stage) in PM because of how much mileage Falco gets out of it in PM - and our Falco has way better tools to camp than theirs, if it can be abused properly. If you think this may be a reason to change it, I think FoD is a good starter - the platforms are a bit interesting but they shouldn't mess up too much, and it certainly doesn't have any other problems with it. Then starters are still at 7, but there isn't a stage that may or may not be questionable relative to the other starters (while I can't think of anyone who can actually abuse FoD).

Your rule set should mention (even though it's a duh) that if time runs out and one player has more stocks than the other player, that player wins. It's not mentioned above, even though I'm sure pretty much everyone here knows it.

I don't know about Castle Siege (unless they put the floor back in on the second form) or Hyrule as legal stages - they sort of have really nasty parts to abuse (can make camping hell by breaking statues, and Hyrule is perfect for camping as is, given its walls and the like). New Pork is somewhat sketchy as well, but I doesn't make me think as hard as the first two do about whether to leave it for now or not. Otherwise, stage list looks great.

Also if we get an update and the SEP back, I 100% support the awesome Norfair (has 3 single platforms, no hazards) as a CP, as well as Peach's Castle 64 (if we can make sure all know how to choose the Bowser/at twilight version).
on the striking part, i think you are sorta confused. its not the number of strikes on each turn. Its the order of the strikes as,"1" represents player 1 and 2 repensents,"player 2."
as for the stages, i remember actually going on to their website and reading hyrule 64 on their stage page and they were talking about the different things you need to master there. Now, ima use my own knowledge about the stage. camping by the walls is a terrible way to camp on you're not covering any space and combo chars will stomp you in that tent. On, Castle Siege, you can stop them from breaking the walls, and even if they do, you can just wait on the edge of the tents above for the next transformation. But, im not a pro at this and could be very wrong, so ill keep everything you said in mind.

Baby_Sneak

That's not the point. It's a bad stage for competitive. Remove it. I would honestly use the M3 stage list if I were you.
Im sorry, just using sonic really doesn't prove a point as it just compares to the same scenario as the MK-rainbow cruise/brinstar problem back in MLG smash bros/ apex 2010 times.