Official Tournament #2: The Minus Winter Snowball Brawl!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
dfdcfa47bc.png

Welcome to the new year!

A new year means a new tournament, and on January 16, at 8PM EST/5PM PST, we're going to be hosting another one! Start off 2016 right by being the best player you possibly can, for fun, glory, and prizes!

1. Register for the tournament here: http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/yG7KlBSj51
2. On January 16th from 7:00 PM EST/4:00PM PST-8:00 PM EST/5:00PM PST, check in for the tournament on the same link you used to register!
3. Go to the chat here to meet up with the other participants: https://forums.brawlminus.net/pages/chatroom/
4. Once the tournament starts, find your foes and play your games!

You will also be able to watch the tournament here! twitch.tv/BrawlMinus

NOTE: For this tournament, we will be playing over Wii Wifi. We will be working on improving netplay so we can consider it for future use.
Posting your Friend Code in this thread is advised.
If you are having trouble connecting to Wii Wifi, refer to the guide here: https://forums.brawlminus.net/threa...fi-post-wfc-shutdown-read-this-right-now.361/

NOTE: You must share your friend code here if you wish to appear on the stream! (If you have shared yours last time you don't need to do it again) https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1cVLujSK_r089NWIRQXa73zc3M0ylECCSsk79ZCITJVE/viewform?usp=send_form

Now, for the rules!

• 1v1 Tournament, Brawl Minus 4.0b
  • Items are set to Off and None.
  • Stock and Time are set to 4 stock and 8 minutes respectively.
  • Regular sets are best of 3 matches. The semi-finals (winners and losers), finals (winners and losers), and Grand Finals sets should be in best of 5 format.
  • In the Grand Finals, the entrant from the Winner's Bracket has to win one set of best of 5, while the entrant from the Loser's Bracket must win two sets.
  • Blatant stalling is prohibited. What is considered stalling is up to the Tournament Host to determine.
  • Chaingrabs are limited to 3 of the same throw in a row. (EX: Pichu dThrow)
  • Suicide Rule: If a match ends by both remaining players losing their last stock at the same time due to a suicide move (EX: Flame Choke, Galactic Crusher) then the initiator of the suicide move is considered the winner of the match regardless of what the results screen says, and no tiebreaker is played.
  • Blind Picks: the first character selection of a set must be without prior knowledge of the opponent's character selection for both players.
  • Dave's Stupid Rule: No player can counter pick a stage he or she has previously won on unless agreed upon by both players.
  • Gentleman's clause: any stage may be played on so long as both players agree to it, including banned stages. This can be used in tandem with Dave's Stupid Rule (DSR).
  • Timed out matches will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, replay that match with one life and 3 minutes of time, using the same characters on the same stage. Any Sudden Death match is strictly not to be played.
Stages
Round 1: Each player strikes 2 stages, and the last stage remaining is chosen. The strike order is 1-2-2-1. In other words, one person strikes one, the second person strikes twice, and the first strikes last.
Round 2: Counterpick stages can now be selected. The Winner of the last round strikes 3 stages, and the loser of round 1 can choose any remaining stage to play the second match on.

Starters:
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Pokemon Stadium 2
  • Smashville
  • Spear Pillar
Counterpicks:
  • Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
  • Lavander Town
  • Castle Siege
  • Fountain of Dreams
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Halberd
  • Warioware

And the prizes! We've doubled the pot from last time, so here's hoping everyone doubles their efforts to win!

1st place: $50
2nd place: $30
3rd place: $20

Prizes will be distributed via Paypal. If you do not have a Paypal account, we will look into alternative ways to hand you your winnings. If there is an issue, please contact me about it and I will see what can be done. Do not share payment info until requested.

Looking forward to seeing you there, and may we all BREAK THE LIMITS in 2016 as well!

Thor

My parents and I are headed to Illinois [or maybe my grandparents' house] that day because college starts back up for me the 19th. So unless I can somehow set up after the drive that day, I can't enter. That said, best of luck to everyone else!

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
I just want to say, MAKE SURE YOU CHECK IN AN HOUR BEFORE THE TOURNAMENT. Last time people missed the memo. Fo it or you're out. We're starting the tournament promptly at 8EST and if you're not there you're out.
It's also worth mentioning that "Checking In" doesn't just mean being present on the forum or in the Chat room;

You have to click something over on Challonge during the Check-In window.

Thor

So there's actually a small chance I can join... is it wrong if I just sign up and then not check-in if I can't make it?

Mawootad

Minus Backroom
If you're not sure it's fine to sign up under the assumption that you can make it, that's what check-in is for.

Destructo

Failure Incarnate
I am hesitant to enter, as with my luck, something will come up.

Omuk

Anther's Ladder name: Omuk
Anybody wanna play a friendly or two with me to test wifi? I'm in Pennsylvania.

Sinaladel

Not sure if WiFi would work for me because I tested it a while ago and it didn't work, probably didn't do it right though, would anyone be willing to do a few test games with me to make sure everything runs smoothly? CDT.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Perhaps I should not enter... My other obligations would make me unavailable for approximately 10-20 minutes every hour.

This is going to be streamed, right? I wouldn't want to keep the viewers waiting for that long.

Besides, I haven't had time to practice, so my performance probably wouldn't be worth the wait anyway. :/

If this were like Glyph's old BDOT tourneys, where time restrictions were so loose, I'd be happy to participate.

Will these official tourneys always be held on Saturdays? I'm usually pretty busy on weekends.

Sinaladel

Perhaps I should not enter... My other obligations would make me unavailable for approximately 10-20 minutes every hour.

This is going to be streamed, right? I wouldn't want to keep the viewers waiting for that long.

Besides, I haven't had time to practice, so my performance probably wouldn't be worth the wait anyway. :/

If this were like Glyph's old BDOT tourneys, where time restrictions were so loose, I'd be happy to participate.

Will these official tourneys always be held on Saturdays? I'm usually pretty busy on weekends.
Honestly if I were you, I'd enter. Only some matches will be streamed, I'm sure there wouldn't be too much waiting, plus there'll probably be some people who signed up but can't participate (like me woops, couldn't get WiFi working), so the more people entered the smoother it'll run.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
OK, on second thought, I'll enter. But disqualify me if I keep anyone waiting for too long.

EDIT:
Well, that was fun. :) I didn't do very well, but I expected not to, since I didn't practice beforehand.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.