[GUIDE] Connecting to Brawl Wifi post-WFC shutdown - READ THIS RIGHT NOW!

Sammi-husky

Scientist #1
Minus Backroom
This guide was originally posted on SmashBoards by pidgezero_one, Im reposting it here to spread the word! I did not write this, and the facebook, twitter, and tumblr account belong to pidgezero, not me.

Please circulate this widely, everyone needs to submit their friend codes before May 18. Retweet me, share my facebook post, reblog me, share this link on reddit, wherever, tell your friends, just get all your friend codes up there.

You read that correctly - dedicated Brawl servers are here. While there's still some prep work going on to make them more widely accessible, there are a few things we need to do to get ready.

This guide is broken down into two sections: Sorry if it's kind of crazy to read but I literally wrote this on the bus to work because THIS INFO NEEDS TO BE CENTRALIZED AND SHARED RIGHT NOW!

Step 1) Reserving your Friend Code (DO THIS RIGHT NOW!)

Step 2) Connecting to Custom Servers (can do this whenever, not time-sensitive)

STEP 1 - RESERVING YOUR FRIEND CODE
---DO THIS RIGHT NOW---

Friend codes for Nintendo Wifi games are assigned server-side. The connection between your Wii and its friend code happens via a "profile", which tells Nintendo's servers that wii A belongs to friend code B. Your Wii knows what its corresponding friend code is, and will always attempt to log in with that friend code. The first time you connect to Wifi, your Wii is designated a friend code from Nintendo's servers.

This is a problem for you, because the server is the one doing the assigning. If a new server sees you trying to connect, but doesn't know what your friend code is because it never assigned you one itself, it will try to assign you a new friend code, while your Wii is still trying to use your old one (which may have already been assigned to someone else by this new server). The only way to rectify this is to erase your Brawl save and create a new one, wiping your wii's memory of your old friend code.

However, if you act fast, you won't need to erase your brawl save.
Wiimm and MrBean35000VR of the Wii-Homebrew community have 2 ways for you to save your friend code:

A: Wiimm is hosting a DNS server that will collect your profile information as soon as you use it to establish a connection to Nintendo WFC. Because Nintendo WFC is going down, you need to do this before May 20.

Instructions (source + tech support: http://forum.wii-homebrew.com/board42-kreativitaet/mkw-server-project-english/51254-own-servers/)

Wiimm said:

1. Go to System Menu and the to internet connections. There are 3 different network profiles. The best is to create a new profile at an unused slot.

Alternatively is is also possible to change an existing and working profile. If you are doing so, continue at step 3.
  2. Setup your new profile like ever. Then perform an connection test. If succeeded, continue with step 3.

ATTENTION: Nintendo offers an update. Deny it!
  3. Open the internet settings again and enter the DNS settings. Generally "automatic" is set. Switch to "manually" (or whatever it is called) and:

* Set the primary server to: 176.9.146.163

* Set the secondary server to the usual address of your local network. Usually it is the IP address of your router. This secondary server is only needed, if our DNS server fails.
  4. Perform a new connection test.

ATTENTION AGAIN: Nintendo offers an update. Deny it!
  5. [boot up your game and connect to wifi]

B: Wiimm is also hosting a site where you can just input your FC information manually, and his system will retrieve your profile on its own. Because this takes up to 24 hours to complete, no more friend codes will be accepted after May 18.

Go to http://wiimmfi.profeibe.at/ (NTSC Brawl's game ID is RSBE)

When data about your friend code is collected, it will be used to construct a database for use by new servers, making the new server think it assigned you the friend code you already have. That way, your friend code will still work, and you won't need to make a new Brawl save!

Method 1 will work for yourself, and does not take long to do. You only need to do it once, and you're safe.

However, Method 2 will allow you to not only submit your friend code, but other people's friend codes too.

I urge you to submit as many friend codes as possible. Not only will you be able to keep coming online, but so will all your friends. If as many people submit as many friend codes as possible, the online community will continue to thrive.

If you don't do any of this, you can still connect after May 20, but you will need a new brawl save.

STEP 2 - CONNECTING TO A CUSTOM SERVER

Disclaimer: I am not a PM player and have little to no knowledge of how the launcher works. I have no idea if this mod will work for PM, however you should still do Step 1 anyway. I can NOT tell you how much better or worse the lag will be, because I simply don't know.

The file that contains server information is called "main.dol". Wiimm has created a new version of this file which connects to his server. This modified file can currently only be applied by patching it directly into the Brawl ISO, which means this currently only works with USBLoader. There is no XML for Riivolution yet, though there may be one in the future. There is no Gecko code, and I do not believe we will be seeing one anytime soon. disregard that, Riivo and Gecko both are planned to have support. A hackless method is also in the works. I don't know about Dolphin, since the process for connecting Dolphin to get on WFC is different and it doesn't look like a main.dol patch for this would be easy, but you guys already have netplay anyway.

If you do not use USBLoader, you should still perform Step 1 of this guide so your wii will be ready when Riivolution support is established.

Wiki page is here: http://forum.wii-homebrew.com/board42-kreativitaet/mkw-server-project-english/51742-wiimmfi-patcher/

This file can be extracted so you can put it on your SD card when Riivo support goes live. More info on this to come.

Attention: This patcher is an alpha-version and may contain errors.

To patch an Image for the new server, you have to download Wiimms patching tool from his website:

Download for MKWii (10 MB)
Download for other games (2 MB)

Your Wii needs Homebrew, and you need an USB-Loader to dump an image of Mario Kart Wii onto an USB-Stick / USB-Drive.

Now follow these steps to patch your MKWii, any custom-variants or other games to the new server:

1. Extract the content of the archive to any folder.
  2. Copy all images you want to patch into this folder.
  3. Windows-User now start the create-image.bat, Linux- and Mac-User start the create-image.sh.
  4. Now all games in the folder get patched. After patching, you find the new images in the folder wiimmfi-images. You can now copy those to your HDD or USB-Stick.

Need Videos?

http://smashboards.com/threads/important-nintendo-wifi-will-live-past-may-20th.355299/
http://smashboards.com/threads/mrbe...awl-and-other-games-may-18th-deadline.355129/

Want to Help?

UPLOAD EVERY FRIEND CODE YOU KNOW OF!

Share this thread everywhere.
Know someone who has a Wii or Brawl? they need to see this thread right now.

Dump your info for any Wifi-enabled game:
http://save-nintendo-wifi.com/

Host a custom server:
https://github.com/polaris-/nintendo_dwc_emulator

Hopefully in the future, everyone working on servers will co-ordinate so that we can have multiple networked servers, meaning less lag for you!

Special thanks to DiddyKong (aka tbtechwiz) for walking me through all this information. I am not an authority on this topic, and am just here to present it to the Smash community in a collected and digestible way.

Other Aether

Mediator
Wish I could play online... My internet fails at everything, though :c
Nice guide. Reserved my FC anyways.

Lightning

Ikesexual
I wonder why there's even a tutorials section anymore.
I was literally going to say that it should be moved to the tutorial section.

Also, do we add friend codes from our list even if the person has already added their code in?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sammi-husky

Scientist #1
Minus Backroom
I wonder why there's even a tutorials section anymore.
Reason i posted it here is because people were more likely to see it here then there, after a fair number of people see it i'll probably move it there.

I was literally going to say that it should be moved to the tutorial section.

Also, do we add friend codes from our list even if the person has alreasy added their code in?

Really the only thing that matters is to spread the word and get as many people's friend codes as possible on here, if your friends is already reserved then you don't really need to put theirs

Will the servers be better than before?

Nobody can really tell, since i don't think many have actually tried to play using it yet or if people even can yet. However, the Server Software's source is avaliable on github, so really anyone can actually host their own server if they wanted. This makes it so people can interlink their own servers, which would mean less lag

Thor

OMGILOVEYOUSAMMI-HUSKYBESTINFORMATIONEVER!!!!

Just to be absolutely clear, we only need to do A OR B of step 1, not both, right? And we don't need to connect to customer servers yet? (Or all of you running custom now so I need to switch over???) I ask because I have only done Step 1 method B.

If this lasts, it will be so great, because that means the Brawl- competitive community (as competitive as we are, anyway) can live. Plus, I'm probably getting some time to practice soon (school in the way now, high school time commitments etc.), I might be able to actively practice instead of just learning how it's different from Brawl and going from there.

EDIT: Via method B, you can check whether you entered your FC properly by clicking on "Friend-codes" and using the search function, Also note that on the entry page the website says the last letter is not important (so if you enter in a real region - RSTE or RSTJ or RSTK or RSTP) you will still have your FC, AND you can also retype and submit, and if you entered it right it will tell you your FC already exists in the database. Just some extra info for the nervous like me who want to make ABSOLUTELY sure their FC gets in! [For some reason mine registered as RSBJ but it says that doesn't matter, though I did type RSBE in, and every other Brawl FC I see on there is listed as RSTJ, so...]

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
@Thor
I really hope you didn't actually type in RSTE or that if you did, it corrected it for you. lol. Just something I saw there.
Brawl is RSBE

Thor

Yeah oops XD you're right and it is entered right on the other thing, I just double-checked my code on the thing.

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
apparently my friendcode was already taken by someone using the jap version :'( i only found out now when i tried to search for myself to check, like Thor suggested

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
i used method A on the day i found out about this, but i have no idea if it's going to work

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
It's possible that someone here on the forum saw your code and uploaded it for you. Most likely because of the command "UPLOAD EVERY FRIEND CODE YOU KNOW OF". lol. But for some reason they all say RSBJ(japanese version)...I believe. Unsure why, nor am I sure it matters.

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
alright, well you wanna test it later?.. i can TRY to get on the game for that, but it might be a little late :p ...i added you to my friend's list though, so maybe tomorrow :p

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
We can try. I still have to patch my ISO though.

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
can anyone just post a brawl ISO for usb loader that works?.. i don't even have a usb drive for this yet, but it'd help if a file was up for grabs that had a working ISO from the get-go

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
I am unsure if it works, but I may have created a riivolution patcher for this. I need to test it, but I don't have a Brawl disc, and I need someone who has successfully connected to the new servers via the method above and has a disc.

Edit: Have tested, didn't work. Going to keep trying

Sammi-husky

Scientist #1
Minus Backroom
There is a modification of an old auto ISO rebuilder that i have made specifically for MAX 1.01, i'll see if i can't modify it to work with 3.3, since only ISO patches are working with the custom servers at the moment.

alternatively you could patch JUST the main.dol, in which case you wouldn't need to use a fully custom MINUS iso. (i think)

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
That's what I tried to do: patch the main.dol, using riivolution. Didn't work out. Unsure why.

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
From the looks of it, the Gecko launcher still needs to be updated with the code, so throw that in the next release and we'll get to brawlin again!

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
Ah. So it seems Riivolution patching just doesn't work with the Brawl main.dol patch. Nice to know it wasn't user error, or at least I wasn't the only one making it. I'm glad they found a File patch code for it, though. I have/had no idea how to write one...

Baby_Sneak

someone already took my codes, felt salty about that. so, i just deleted all my crap, but it dont matter. anyways, im absolutely hyped about this, and can't wait til they do region- based servers, though it'll take madd amount of time. midwest all day!

Baby_Sneak

srry for double post, but I want to let everybody know, everytime you put in," RSBE and xxxx-xxxx-xxxx", it'll show up in the friend code as RSBJ instead of RSBE