MAX Zero Suit Samus

Queso2469

Bunch of people have been bringing her up in the tier list discussion. It's true she hasn't gotten too much new stuff in minus at any point. So any thoughts, ideas, suggestions? I think a cool idea would be a super-taunt which spawned a single suit piece once a life. They are always amazingly broken and entertaining at the beginning of the match. Yet enemies can get their hands on them too and wreak all sorts of havoc. I think it would complement her move-set a lot though and add an interesting and unique element to the character.

i like that idea. that or a faster uncharged b, with a bit more distance.

i think her recovery needs the most help. a buff to the speed and horizontal distance of her down b could do it. longer tether reach, bigger ledge sweetspot?

Glyph

I spoke with one of the devs a loooooong time ago, and he mentioned they were looking into doing something with the metroid assist trophy. Sounded really goddamn cool but apparently it was impossible to actually get working.

Tybis

Resident Minusaur
Minus Backroom
Am I the only one that thinks Zamus is actually really good right now? She didn't get any MAXing, but I'm not sure if she really needed it. She needs a few little changes though. Her recovery is fine. I don't think it's as bad as some players make it out to be... you just can't be careless, that's all. DownB is amazing as-is, Nairs combo into it for easy offstage kills. Changing its distance traveled would actually remove combos from her.

Up/SideB - You know how when you hold DOWN on most recovery moves, characters won't edge-grab? Why can't these two tethers have that? It would buff her off-stage options considerably. (I realize that the execution barrier might be tricky for UpB considering its speed. Perhaps if there was some way to delay the "ledge-grab" version from grabbing?)
If the above isn't doable, then would it be possible to lower the UpB's reverse ledge-grab range? You go offstage to finish off an opponent with Plasma Wire, and you accidentally grab the ledge instead... ECH.

Fair - Not sure if making this autolink its hits would be too good...

Fsmash - It doesn't gain power as you charge it?

gumbie

I'd say her grab needs a buff, decreased lag after a miss would be nice, since it's still almost as bad as Brawl. Hitboxes and knockback on her fsmash could use some tweaking too I think. Aside from that, her taunts are really begging to be given hitboxes.

Tybis

Resident Minusaur
Minus Backroom
The grab itself is hugely risky and has super-long endlag, yes. However, unless I'm mistaken, Zamus can hit with it more frequently than she can in vBrawl since the "grab box" stays out almost the whole duration the whip is out (Minus buff?), and she can actually combo into it effectively thanks to Paralyzer and mobility buffs. Her throws are pretty awesome since you nearly have a guaranteed followup after an up/down throw, forward throw can outright KO and back throw sets up easy gimps. The grab is basically Zamus incarnate; you're dead if you miss, but if you can hit with it consistently then you can take off stocks like nothing else.

"It's better to not grab at all during a whole match than to grab and miss once"
- what I tell myself after the fourth time I miss a grab with Zamus.

NEWB

Zamus is bad because of only tether recovery. Don't people call you out on tethering Tybis? Your can walk offstage and hit zamus as she tethers to the sage and there is nothing she can do about it. When other tether, your foe hS to call you on it, but zamus doesn't need to be called on it since that is all she does,

Tybis

Resident Minusaur
Minus Backroom
Not sure what you mean by "called out".

It's not like Zamus is "tether or die". If I'm careful, I only get gimped very rarely. The most important thing is to save your midair jump until you absolutely need it. Since UpB doesn't put Zamus in special fall, she can use it multiple times, and each time she uses it, she gains a very small vertical boost. When falling, it only makes her fall slightly slower for a moment, but if used directly after a jump, you get a large boost. Her new regenerating DownB also helps out; if you need to gain a bunch of horizontal distance rather than vertical than you can use it as much as you want. Lastly, she has the "flipstool", or DownB footstool - if you press jump and touch somebody while doing DownB, then you flipstool off of them. This can occasionally rescue you if somebody is coming after you for a spike. However, unlike the normal footstool, the flipstool ignores invincibility, so you can do it off somebody who's hogging the edge regardless of their vulnerability. Lastly, the flipstool can be canceled into anything else as soon as you do it, whether it's an aerial, a regular footstool, or UpB for a boost.

THEN you can tether with your choice of Side or Up B.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
1. I feel like Zamus needs a buff to her grabs. They're really slow, and they aren't that powerful either from what I've experienced.

2. Hmm.. it doesn't seem like it'd be a bad idea for her Flip to allow specific interrupt with her dair jump while she's upside down As the move starts upside down.

3. Neutral B should be grab cancellable. The stances are similar. and it'd be a great fakeout not to mention if someone is actually close and gets paralyzed you can insta grab them.

4. If Side B were adjusted to pull the enemy toward her without it sending them so far upward, it would combo into grab on the hold B version. This would allow Zamus a few different options. as each throw would have a different follow up.

5. As a spacer, why are the closer hitboxes stronger than the weak ones on her side smash?

6. Her Attack 11 should be cancellable into her tilts.

7. Speaking of tilts, her side tilts damages should be swapped. A shin kick that deals 9 while a torso kick deals 7 is off-putting.

8. After the hitbox of uair, It should slightly slow down. It's highly spammable. More so than any move I can think of right off hand.

9. Down Taunt really needs a hitbox. She's spinning around with a paralyzer wall around her.

Aesthetically...
Uair uses slash flags. I don't know why.
U tilt also uses slash flags, and I still don't know why.
Uair Landing needs more lag. The animation looks really messed up playing so quickly.

NEWB

Those moves slash because she scissors them, hence cutting. Not hard core like swords, but if you did that to someone, they would get cut.

I like buffing barbs and down taunt. I'm not sure she actually needs budding though. Her dair is kinda spammy.

Lightning

Ikesexual
Personally, I think the only problem with Zamus is her upB. She's fast. She has power. But she's very easily gimped.
Yeah, sure, her downB can help with her recovery, but let's face it: if someone has invincibility frames, you're screwed. Which is why I thought I should post my idea for her new upB. Not sure if anyone would like it, but I'm throwing it out there anyway..

Plasmacopter.

Yeah. What a shitty name. Anyway, I think it would be neat to give her an upB that works kinda like Snake's.
She just twirls around the plasma whip above her (similarly to her upsmash/upB animation) and yeah. She flies up. Of course, she can't do it forever.

That's just my idea.. :D

NEWB

But her upb is SO good at dragging people back to the ground to continue combos or even spike them to their deaths. Even if it's not amazing at recovery, it makes for a REALLY good attack. Losing that would be a hard nerf to her.

If she gets a new recovery, it should get an alt input.

Lightning

Ikesexual
NEWB said:
If she gets a new recovery, it should get an alt input.
Press B to do her current recovery.
Hold B to do Plasmacopter.

Is that even possible?

WastedCrits

I like this idea, recovery is her biggest weakness. Maybe even make it the same for her side-B? Up-B would be vertical with limited horizontal movement, and side-B could be horizontal with limited vertical movement, and you can only do one before landing? If not, the Up-B alone would still be great. Or, the animation could be her throwing an item, then tethering it and jumping, kinda like Ice Climbers.That's probably a little silly, though.

Tybis

Resident Minusaur
Minus Backroom
You've seen the Ivycopter.
You know the Pikacopter.
BUT ARE YOU READY
FOR THE PLASMACOPTER?

Brawl Minus, the helicopter mod.

SRS tho? That'd be interesting. Not sure if it SHOULD be done, but it's interesting. I wonder how it'd buff her juggle game...
One thing I noticed; nobody's talking about the buffs Zamus got in the 1.01 patch. How is nobody talking about the Dairway to Heaven?

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Tybis said:
nobody's talking about the buffs Zamus got in the 1.01 patch. How is nobody talking about the Dairway to Heaven?
Got any links to video of someone making use of her new buffs?

Lightning

Ikesexual
Tybis said:
You've seen the Ivycopter.
You know the Pikacopter.
BUT ARE YOU READY
FOR THE PLASMACOPTER?

Brawl Minus, the helicopter mod.
Excuse me while I laugh at this for the next 3000 years.. :lol:

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
actually that could be her alt up B instead of side B... her up already twirls the whip a little, so maybe holding the B button down utilizes that aspect more, but takes out the grapple part. this way she has a recovery move up B while still having the option to use the grapple recovery... also, i'd suggest that since her up B whip pulls people down, why not make it so you get some upward momentum if you hit someone? kinda like a slingshot?... these are two seperate suggestions, each would really help the up B's recovery game, which i think she definitely DESERVES...

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
using her Taunt animation where the thing twirls could be super sped up and it'd totally look like a recovery move... hmm.

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
Zamus needs a fix to her jump alt on her dair. Sometimes (most often after she uses up her second jump) her jump spin hit thing doesn't jump off the opponent, and instead makes her fall through them.

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
Yes. The instances mentioned ignore the jump effect.

Tybis

Resident Minusaur
Minus Backroom
Gold_TSG said:
Zamus needs a fix to her jump alt on her dair. Sometimes (most often after she uses up her second jump) her jump spin hit thing doesn't jump off the opponent, and instead makes her fall through them.

That's if you're fastfalling.

Thor

I suggest a super taunt that lets her spawn an armor piece into her hand.