L canceling anyone?

Bashdemears

Jiggs2stronk
Nobody said it's *more* fun. I meant for me. I dont get any excitement out of casually playing a game or holding back.

Other Aether

Mediator
Nobody said it's *more* fun. I meant for me. I dont get any excitement out of casually playing a game or holding back.
Then use that L-cancelling code that was linked. L-cancelling has nothing to do with 'holding back', it just makes already complex inputs more complex, distracting from the real focus of the game: outmaneuvering your opponent.

Bashdemears

Jiggs2stronk
I never said L-canceling had anything to do with holding back. :0 It has nothing to do with tech skill. Its just doing the best you can. Thats what the competitive spirit is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
The competitive spirit is whatever you make of it, but it's more or less linked to "do what you need to in order to win." this means fighting at your absolute best and winning by any means with no restraints. Adding L-Canceling to something that doesn't have it IS, IN FACT, A RESTRAINT. The fact that is not present means you don't gave to focus on doing it to get less landing lag, since it's already there. Adding that mechanic to the game where it isn't means you put yourself at an unnecessary handicap, meaning you could make or break any match you're in if you just happen to mess up even once USING it. So, why bother worrying about that?

Other Aether

Mediator
I never said L-canceling had anything to do with holding back. :0 It has nothing to do with tech skill. Its just doing the best you can. Thats what the competitive spirit is.
You implied that L-cancelling makes the game more competitive and not doing it is holding back. I completely respect your decision, and those codes will do that for you. I, however, personally disagree. All L-cancelling seems to do is make a skill barrier that only some people can pass.

Bashdemears

Jiggs2stronk
I'm just asking if it's worth having it in. You guys have swayed me that it's not. As mentioned by someone before, theres almost no ending lag on most anything.

Completly besides the point: Though I don't see what you guys mean by worrying about an extra button press. I was never good at melee but pressing the shoulder buttons never seemed that tedious to me.
It took me five years to do wavedashing. So I guess I have that sames kind of problem but just with the control stick?

Also i find wavedashing to be that "extra layer of techskill that doesn't need to be there." But more so on the characters who don't go very far. Luigi in melee was able to slide around the world and back on one WD(which makes me wish he had a fake WD in minus but that may break him). Marths, and Robs in Minus are decent. Wolfs is meh. Foxs in both melee and minus is lol why.

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
As a fox player and and primarily Melee player (though I do play all the other games) I honestly think L-canceling has no place in smash at all. The only reason L-canceling is important in Melee is because one weird bastard found out, got better than everyone else, so they learned it, etc. On the other hand Melee players dislike brawl primarily because its slow and rewards defensive play more than offensive which is why I prefer Minus to vBrawl. vBrawl is basically hit the other person more and you'll probably win. When it comes to game balance, I find it goes S64>Melee>Brawl probably because of the growing character rosters. Lastly Fox's wavedash is what makes him so good and it gives him a niche in Minus. Waveshining is an important part of his combo game and edgegarding game. I do wish though that peach had her float cancel back.

NEWB

Oh. Maybe she wasn't given it because her aerials already have low endlag?

I honestly thought she had it in minus.

Baby_Sneak

"no" on the L cancelling. "Yes" on the wavedashing. people who don't seem to understand how good wavedashing is must understand the amount of movement options it grants the player.

Doqtor Kirby

Resident Design Nitpicker
Minus Backroom
"no" on the L cancelling. "Yes" on the wavedashing. people who don't seem to understand how good wavedashing is must understand the amount of movement options it grants the player.
If you want wavedashing that badly, play Fox. :p

Baby_Sneak

If you want wavedashing that badly, play Fox. :p
i already do, and its not like im begging for it, having more movement options only enrichs the game. it doesnt have to be wavedashing( honestly, i would back flips if they rip all chars airdodge and implement a air dash system where the player goes into free fall special (i think this is where you're NOT helpless), but doesn't have any invinc frames).

NEWB

That sounds interesting.... I think...

Special fall is the helpless state after a special move last I checked.

Minus gives characters a whole mess of new positioning and/or spacing tools. I don't think wave dashing is necessary, if for the additional reason that every character is unique without it.

Just my thoughts though. I was never good at it, but I'm starting to get it with fox and wolf.

Baby_Sneak

That sounds interesting.... I think...

Special fall is the helpless state after a special move last I checked.

Minus gives characters a whole mess of new positioning and/or spacing tools. I don't think wave dashing is necessary, if for the additional reason that every character is unique without it.

Just my thoughts though. I was never good at it, but I'm starting to get it with fox and wolf.
well, my idea was that the air dash system would give you a boost in any direction, but doesn't put u in a special freefall and doesnt have invincible frames

NEWB

Yeah, that's what I thought was interesting.

Things is, I don't think a whole mess of characters actually benefit greatly from it, based off their current aerials. This only helps characters that have an aerial that they can approach with. I would also definitely not want Jiggs to get that.

Baby_Sneak

Things is, I don't think a whole mess of characters actually benefit greatly from it, based off their current aerials. This only helps characters that have an aerial that they can approach with. I would also definitely not want Jiggs to get that.
yea, that is true, it just adds to her already stupid offstage game and stuff

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
The problem with wave dashing is that only certain characters benefit from it, thus making them unnaturally better than they already are. There's really no reason for that.

Bashdemears

Jiggs2stronk
well, my idea was that the air dash system would give you a boost in any direction, but doesn't put u in a special freefall and doesnt have invincible frames

yea, that is true, it just adds to her already stupid offstage game and stuff
would boost jiggs from dangerous to godly