Did you guys see this?

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
http://smashboards.com/threads/project-m-ceases-development-v3-6-to-be-final-release.424870/

Came across this while on Smashboards and had a small skip. Had to come check on my favorite smash mod to make sure it was ok. Everyone's claiming super sketchiness, I just hope Nintendo doesn't go for you guys too, IF the speculation was true. Keep each other close, and our download links closer. >.>
Check this out: https://i.4cdn.org/v/1449034788402.jpg

As for what this means for Minus, hopefully we can use PM assets in our favourite mod now.

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
As for what this means for Minus, hopefully we can use PM assets in our favourite mod now.

It's within the realm of possibility, but still being debated in the BR.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Wow, it's hard to believe Project M was nuked so suddenly. I wonder why...

Stay alive, Minus!

Please!! This would really rejuvenate Minus. At least get the Salty Runback code...

Xentas

Some Minus Fan Who Likes Criticism
Oh, I heard about this. To be frank, I saw all the posts on my Facebook about it and just kept saying that Brawl minus has not been canceled or legally threatened by my knowledge and why not try that if you haven't, there's a new beta released... I'm not much of a PM fan, it's just pretend melee anyways to me, I was drawn to minus for the influences. It's exiting to think there might be more things from PM coming, though. Maybe make there be a redesigned Dry Bowser skin...? Better skins for like, any of the Fire Emblem characters? Redesigned (remastered?) Melee Fox skins? Many possibilities here, even in mechanics... High(er) speed minus? Super brutal AI minus?

Last edited:

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
I will smack whoever says we can't have Magicdorf now.

Xentas

Magicdorf from PM/Melee?

Bbbb-muh NOTB punch... I love it so. He would have an even better grab game then vanilla-minus Ganon, I'd hope.

Mariosonicman1

while using project M assets for brawl minus will be awesome... i just REALLY hope this doesnt turn brawl minus into project M.
after all. i love brawl - for what it is, and not turning everything into melee

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
while using project M assets for brawl minus will be awesome... i just REALLY hope this doesnt turn brawl minus into project M.
after all. i love brawl - for what it is, and not turning everything into melee
You need not worry, we're making sure that we never turn Brawl Minus into anything but a better Brawl Minus.

moneer

Isn't the minus dev team going to stop developing after 4.0? or did i miss something? correct me if i am wrong but would the final product be so very drastically different than the beta and have PM aspects implemented and stuff.?

Xentas

I thought that was a rumor/previous speculation, but it very well could be. Even if so, it's enevitable and it's best to cut your losses honestly and give your best for the final then kill off your work for a new, irrelevant project without notice.

Xentas

A little something, if it's not being sold or paraded, even not being thrown around as a "better version" for public, endorsed tournaments, I don't think Nintendo is going to put it down or give it much attention. PM was that, Minus is this. Either way, that's.. Good to hear, I suppose.

Mawootad

Minus Backroom
Isn't the minus dev team going to stop developing after 4.0? or did i miss something? correct me if i am wrong but would the final product be so very drastically different than the beta and have PM aspects implemented and stuff.?
While the death of PM has generally created a lot of chaos, good and bad, currently we still only have a handful of major changes, everything else will be fairly small updates. Granted that could change at a moments notice, but it's unlikely to be the same across the board changes like with 4.0b

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
That sounds like it's faked off 4chan.

Also, I would kill for STAGE CLEAR to be in minus.
This was not faked off 4chan. Lunchables (the person who wrote this) is a PMDT member, a nationally well known player in PM, and was working on Project MEME which was a combination of PM and Minus. I have absolutely no reason to doubt him since he did tell me he indeed posted this. Names were blanked out on the SSBPM reddit but not his original post.

Last edited:

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Even the New PMDT were intimidated into disbanding, before they even started work on Evolution, Project M's "spiritual successor".

Maybe Minus should go underground (private forums) until it's finished...? Sounds like it would be best to keep a low profile, at least.

Valravn

That's because 'NewPMDT' were a bunch of hacks who wanted to springboard off of the community to back their new mod that would be only tangentially related to what is actually PM.

While it is presented as anonymous, this was posted by someone I know personally and I know it's legit.
Also confirming, to the best of my knowledge.

the death of PM
The death of the PMDT, more particularly. Nintendo didn't send Reggie to smash our Wiis yet, and weekly tournaments are still happening. At least around here in Washington.

Is Turbo Mode coming to Minus?

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
Even the New PMDT were intimidated into disbanding, before they even started work on Evolution, Project M's "spiritual successor".

NewPMDT intimidated themselves into disbanding. And fairly quickly too. Our choice of action is to keep going on as normal unless something directly intervenes with our ability to develop Brawl Minus safely.

Xentas

I'm not sure what would get you sued, really. It's a tiny community of modders and niche fans, me included (for the latter, at least, hope to be the former soon enough).

You never were promoting yourself in a way that would dark horse you on Nintendo's radar. I'm not sure how much Nintendo is against modding, I thought they... Accepted it, if not embraced it. Project M was made by dicks, for Melee kids (lol), toted around like the best thing ever and GONNA TAKE OVAH DUH COMP SCENE LOL! It's just not nice to a company just trying to respect a man's vision. It was ignored until pressure from other companies was applied, actually.
Not trying to be rude, but I've been watching the smash community a while and that's literally what PM was and how it was played for fans. In my personal opinion, not only were they asking for it, they DESERVED it. You guys don't and shouldn't ever, really. Your own distaste with many PM users (it seems most find it irrelevant for some reason), kept you off the radar too, imo. Not to be a jerk to them, but it's their loss.

Valravn

My mother always told me that if you don't have anything nice to say, you shouldn't say anything at all.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A more complete reply:

As a friend of several members of the ex-PMDT, I can say that it was most certainly not made by dicks. It was made by people who love Smash, and love competing with their friends. People who wanted the game to align to a vision that Masahiro Sakurai did not share. It's a cultural thing, really. Americans love fighting games, and Nintendo as a whole does not understand why. It's the thrill of being the best, or improving yourself. Develpoing friendly rivalries. Practicing even when it's not immediately fun so that you can have more fun later. Accepting that some techniques are difficult and that it's worth sticking to it. Being part of a community.

Project M was - and is, at it's core - about a level playing field. Letting competition-minded Kirby fans experience their character in a way they never could in Melee. Letting Ganondorf fans like me play a character that is no longer a purple Captain Falcon. Allowing anyone with the skill to be the best to BE the best. Every character has its own strengths and techniques that every player can utilize differently to express themselves in a way that no fighting game has ever done before. It is a game made by fans to be the game that they want to play. A Smash game where five characters don't dominate the metagame.

I'm not sure you're aware, but the M no longer stands for Melee, and hasn't for years. Project M was never meant to be the game to replace Melee, it is meant to be a game that people want to play. Separate and unique.

Please, don't pretend that you understand what Project M means to me and the rest of its fans. Nintendo has been hounding us for years. They've bullied Twitch into never streaming it. They won't sponsor any tournament that runs it. But Hitbox welcomes us with open arms. Northwest Majors turned down some huge sponsorships so that they could run the game on the main stage. We are here to stay, and Nintendo cannot crush our dreams.

EDIT: I didn't realize that double posting was a zero-tolerance sort of rule, with how often I see it on these forums. These were two very distinct thoughts. MegaSaturn liked the former part before these posts were merged, and it seems strange to ascribe that to my later opinions.

Last edited:

Xentas

I have plenty of nice things to say

It was EXACTLY what it wanted to be, and it did it pretty well. I'm not sure I agree with all that, but you know, I'm not saying it should be over, just what I've seen. I put it in a spoiler because of that... It might be rude. It was sad to see it go at the same time it wasn't- (I still think their own promoting style and attitude online asked for what they got duly) I probably was harsh and inconsiderate of sides there, apologies. I played PM again for quite a while last night and I'll be honest- it's got good, all playable characters, though I have my own opinions on them. It works fine, it's got decent gravity and decent courses. I still remember the game having whacked out slow gravity, might have been me.

It's perfectly fine that it's gonna keep going competitively. I might get into it too eventually. But you know, when you play the usurper you either take the throne or get put in the gallows. It's happened before, it will happen again.
I know what the mindset is... It's just like sports. I get it. I'm not stabbing you, or asking Nintendo to kill you off. Or saying PM shouldn't be seen. If you wanna promote it, host it, show it, go crazy. Screw Nintendo. All I'm saying is the mod got what it asked for. I apologize for bringing the melee players in the "melee kids" category (those elitist guys ya know) into it. Hell, I'll defend the mod getting sued, why Nintendo didn't do something sooner instead of stirring the pot into this when Square Enix/Sega got pissy about it? If Sakurai and Nintendo didn't want it to exist and knew about all that, It's odd and also silly on their part. At that, why the hell is it anyone's big issue now? If I recall, Nintendo doesn't support many Melee tournaments anymore. It's not like Sega loses much of anything, or god, nobody's gonna put SQE's Cloud into a PM mod or something. It's not even like you aren't supporting Nintendo to play the game, or affiliated companies.

Last edited:

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
The main thing Nintendo gets pissed about is potential loss of sales or popularity over its own games when some free mod is getting more attention.