Brawl Minus Wifi Power Rankings

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
So I was thinking... we should have a power rankings system. For those who don't know smash power rankings are a ranking of each of the players in a community voted on by the most senior members of that community. Members of the voting board would use personal knowledge of the players' skills and tournament rankings(Baby_Sneak is hosting one soon.) and, for these boards probably rankings from M3, to place their vote. The voters would take the most active players and give them a 1-10 ranking, 10 being best, and depending on the number of voters we could take an average, perhaps with the highest and lowest values left out of the average to avoid skewing results.

Edit: here's the ssbwiki's definition of power ranking:
Power Rankings, often shortened to PRs, are lists that rank the best competitive smashers in a particular region, be it a state, country or world, in order of perceived skill level. They are designed to showcase and honour skilled players, and to encourage competitors to improve. The judgement and presentation of each area's Power Rankings is usually determined by panels of active players in the region's community, who are familiar with each person's abilities. However, the accuracy of the rankings is limited to the knowledge and understanding of the people in these panels. Separate sets of Power Rankings exist for separate games in the Smash Bros. series.

Also guys participate in Baby_Sneaks tourney here:http://forums.brawlminus.net/threads/tha-start-monthlies.477/#post-5803

Just some ideas anyway. Thoughts? Things to add? Nominations for voters? Stuff like that would be cool.

Here's the people on the voting panel now:
NEWB
Kienamaru
Thor
Glyph
Bent 00

Last edited by a moderator:

NEWB

I am the most active on the forums. At least I've posted the most by a small margin..... :D

Many of us have played minus for a long time. That should be a consideration too. I started no later than 2X and possibly before.

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
Gold beat me for most likes. 2nd isn't bad though :cool:

Baby_Sneak

wait.. i thought this was for who is the best smasher here.

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
Damn you're in pretty much in automatically NEWB. I want a max of 5 players on the voting board and I'm gonna make it a first come first serve basis. This unfortunately means that players who deserve the spots won't get them so if you know someone who really deserves it you can nominate them and I'll pm them. It's basically a voting board made up of knowledgeable players that will determine the best players Baby_Sneak. This will take time to set up. I would like one before your tournament so we can compare rankings before and after.

NEWB

Well, glyph and gold are ones to look to. Strongest players and knowledgeable. Doesn't necessarily take a strong player to be knowledgeable though, so I'm not really sure who else.

The devs are up there for being knowledgeable too, but if the devs are to busy being devs....

Glyph

The way you have this set up so far will more likely than not turn into a popularity contest, if you want an accurate power rankings you gotta go off tournament results. Since we don't have those, you'll just have to go off who beats who in friendlies. Keeps bias out of the system.

NEWB

Given our small community, don't you think we need popular people? Being the most skilled means little if no one knows you, and we need people that come to these forums to know us.

Glyph

I don't think it should be determined by anything except clear cut results from matches instead of who people feel is better, regardless of what people are in charge of it (myself included)

NEWB

Ideally, it should work that way, but I just don't think people work that way.

Let's put this off though untill we can get tourneys going again. Let's see how things feel after that.

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
The way you have this set up so far will more likely than not turn into a popularity contest, if you want an accurate power rankings you gotta go off tournament results. Since we don't have those, you'll just have to go off who beats who in friendlies. Keeps bias out of the system.

Most of us here are in our late teens or early twenties. I hope to god and all that's holy we can be mature about this.

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
From what I've seen you are mature for a 14-year-old. Also no offense but you're pretty new. You don't make the cut for the voter requirements. Neither do I which is why I'm not including myself in the voter board. Glyph are you at least a little interested in being a voter? You're kind of important and I think you'd be an invaluable addition to the voting team.

Baby_Sneak

From what I've seen you are mature for a 14-year-old. Also no offense but you're pretty new. You don't make the cut for the voter requirements. Neither do I which is why I'm not including myself in the voter board. Glyph are you at least a little interested in being a voter? You're kind of important and I think you'd be an invaluable addition to the voting team.
no offense taken, and im a regular now, look at my profile. but, i kno im new.\

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
I'll PM Glyph but he didn't seem too hot on the idea. Anyone else thinks Thor should be in? Don't know too much about him. If someone nominates you, Kien you're in since you're an old timer and a dev but your comment about playing more people makes me question you a little bit. Assuming you even want a spot in the voting panel. Speaking of which I need NEWB to confirm too. Then I'll start putting up the panel members in the op. Also anyone think Bent00 should be on here? He's an older member, is second in total posts, and holds many spots in M3.

NEWB

Thor is a dev? Since when?

Bent has been around since the beta I believe, so yeah, I think I would nominate him.

I would be interested in being on the panel if there are no objections.

Overall skill is good, but not really essential. Several devs have admitted to not being that good at minus and they are making the game. I definetly need to play more people online, but I consider myself knowledgeable.

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
Thor is a dev? Since when?

Bent has been around since the beta I believe, so yeah, I think I would nominate him.

I would be interested in being on the panel if there are no objections.

Overall skill is good, but not really essential. Several devs have admitted to not being that good at minus and they are making the game. I definetly need to play more people online, but I consider myself knowledgeable.
Whoops my ADHD brain completely left oy lit an entities sentence about Kien. *edited*

Bashdemears

Jiggs2stronk
So people who've played just about everyone at least once: Glyph, Gold, Thor, me(except bent), kein? Lighting? Owo?

Skill hierarchy (imo):
1.Glyph
2.Gold
3.Darx
3a.Bash
3b.Thor
4.Concept
5.Doqk
5a.Megasaturn
6.NEWB

I havent played everyone else enough yet so I couldn't fit you in. Srry.

Darxmarx

The Learning Star Warrior
I actually haven't played Gold, Newb, Bent, and probably a few others.
That might be because I have a really slow Skype...

NEWB

If I recall right, I've hardly played darx, if ever, and I've never played doqk. Never played megasaturn either.

That being said, you don't rate skill based on your own experience. People handle other players and playstyles differently. We need to, like, all play in a tourney :)