BRAWL MINUS 4.0b ON THE 4TH!

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
365bf6811c.png

THE NEXT VERSION OF BRAWL MINUS COMES OUT ON FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 4TH!

The wait is almost over! Brawl Minus 4.0b is going to be released very soon! Expect a Brawl Minus very much different from 3.Q, with modified physics, many character adjustments, and much, much, more!

So what does the "b" mean?
It means it's a Beta. We have a ton of changes lined up for our end goal, Brawl Minus 4.0, but we have so much that we want you to try out that we simply couldn't wait that much longer before we showed it off! In addition to this, we also need your help making 4.0 the best it can be by playing this version and sharing your thoughts about it with us!

Should I treat this as the official next version?
For all intents and purposes, 4.0b will be officially considered the next version of Brawl Minus, succeeding 3.Q.

Is this going to update every week like MAX (3.0)'s beta?
Nope! All you need is 4.0b and you'll be up to date until the final release of 4.0.

What has been changed in 4.0b?
In addition to the usual bug fixes and balance adjustments, we're offering plenty of much needed reworks for characters such as Pichu, Samus, Meta Knight, and Ike, and made the first changes to the game's core mechanics in 5 years!

What are these mechanic changes?
There are several mechanics modified to help increase the flow of the game, such as slightly reducing hitstun. By reducing hitstun but also increasing the speed at which characters fall (and thus complete their air/ground transitions), we hope to increase the speed and precision required to perform the combos you love, increasing the reward for skill and simultaneously decreasing the amount of time your unfortunate recipient has to watch themselves get knee'd in the face repeatedly before being back in the action.

In addition, shield stun is being reduced, you'll no longer need to worry about Fox's blaster locking you in your bubble (or egg?) until you get pushed offstage. This fallspeed change will also have the side effect of reducing the overall ridiculous recovery power, so we'll be keeping an eye on how that hurts or helps the characters most greatly affected by that change.

How will I be able to try this out?
On the beta's release on September 4th, you'll be able to download the game on the forums! Enjoy the beta with your friends and with our community, and provide feedback to make 4.0 the best game it can be!

Last edited by a moderator:

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
Guess I'll be the first to say, IT'S ABOUT TIME.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Friendly reminder:

Three easy fixes for 4.0b CPU AI:
1.) Use NEWB's fix for CPU AI Mario that makes it double Up-B properly.
2.) Make CPU AI Ganondorf use Gandouken instead of Warlock Punch if opponent is far away. Or always, WP rarely hits.
3.) Make CPU AI Captain Falcon use his Secret Taunt after every KO, or make every Flame Aura Taunt a Secret Taunt attempt.

Also, have you added in the new Up Taunt = Footstool codes by Magus & ds22 yet? Those should make footstools not desync WiFi anymore.

Spookyman

Good to hear that you guys want to take the game a little more seriously. Minus is just a little too "out there" to get most people interested at all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

Thor

First impression based on the OP: Disappointed in fall speed increases... Samus already falls like a rock, now she'll fall like an upside rocket with excess fuel.

To expand on this: I hope fall speeds aren't universally increased, but done so with care... Falcon was almost perfect where he was, and Ganon already has poor enough airspeed that he doesn't need to fall any faster.

Some however, like Luigi, possibly Mario, Pikachu, and Puff will probably benefit from the change, and others may be mostly unaffected by a general increase [real spacies, Lucas, Ness, etc.].

I think this change sounds too drastic, and I feel I may push for fallspeed reversions for 4.0 harder than I ever pushed for those big words in my signature, but I'll hope that it feels and plays better or the same I suppose.

The rest sounds pretty cool though, but I'm getting that one thing off my chest right now and delivering a fairly early warning.

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
First impression based on the OP: Disappointed in fall speed increases... Samus already falls like a rock, now she'll fall like an upside rocket with excess fuel.

Samus in 4.0b is going to be a whole new woman. Don't think of her coming into 4.0 as if she's still in her 3.Q mode.

As for the rest of your concerns, I can only encourage you to play the game and leave your feedback. We'll be taking all responses into consideration while working on the rest of 4.0.

Mawootad

Minus Backroom
The gravity changes are big enough to hold some new combos together, but not enough to be significantly noticeable while just moving around.

Thor

Random but important question... is the costume project that we did a while back [where tons of people submitted various skins, like that awesome Gold Captain Falcon and the various Link skins] going to have some of those skins in 4.0b???

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
Random but important question... is the costume project that we did a while back [where tons of people submitted various skins, like that awesome Gold Captain Falcon and the various Link skins] going to have some of those skins in 4.0b???

There weren't enough costumes submitted (a fair amount of characters still haven't even received one!), so we chose not to include it for now. Just another feature to look forward to in 4.0!

Lucis Perficio

Radiant Hero of Blue Flames
Nice to see the Minus team taking this seriously what with a Beta too! Perhaps taking some pointers from PM? lol

JUST KIDDING.

Mariosonicman1

it worries me slightly that fall speed is faster. all i can wish for is that pichus ludicrus fall speed doesnt fall even faster.

Valravn

I think it'll be fine. I wasn't sure about it at first, switching from brawl to melee, but I think once you get used to it it makes the combo game a lot more natural. You don't need to apply fistfuls of hitstun to make strings happen.

Mariosonicman1

I think it'll be fine. I wasn't sure about it at first, switching from brawl to melee, but I think once you get used to it it makes the combo game a lot more natural. You don't need to apply fistfuls of hitstun to make strings happen.

well yea... but do you recall how fast pichu fell? shes going fall so much harder. that worries me alot. shes like never gonna be able to recover.