Announcing Brawl Minus 4.0!

Thor

I just want uthrows to work right... more often than not I seem to get punished for using Falcon uthrow, and Fox uthrow only works sorta right on a small handful of characters, if that. Falco's is purely positional [and he's not the greatest at exploiting people above him anyway] and Puff's is the same. Then others are awkward as well.

NEWB

Well, it has been said that not every move needs to be particularly useful. In general, uthrow has always been the least useful throws in smash games in terms of combos. Uthrow has generally been used to toss people up and then punish their landing or to just keep juggling them. That or it's a kill throw in rare instances.

Thor

Well, it has been said that not every move needs to be particularly useful. In general, uthrow has always been the least useful throws in smash games in terms of combos. Uthrow has generally been used to toss people up and then punish their landing or to just keep juggling them. That or it's a kill throw in rare instances.

uthrow in Melee is godlike.

Fox - up air
Falco - dair, shine, whatever
Puff - REST [or uairs]
Sheik - CGs spacies at 160% [ok it's her dthrow whatever]
Marth - utilt or regrab fastfallers
Peach - CG fastfallers for a while, often leads into nair or bair
Falcon - KNEE
Doc - fair
Ganondorf - same thing as Sheik but w/e
Pikachu - usmash, regrabs, uairs
Samus - combos on spacies and maybe middle fallers as well [Sheik, Doc, etc.]
Luigi - SHORYUKEN [ok that doesn't really work and his dthrow is more useful but it's one of the few uthrow combos that works in Minus]
Mario - fair tech chase, bair
Link - dair, uair, nair, dsmash on fastfallers [dthrow is better vs non-fastfallers tho]
Young Link - see Link
DK - uairs for years, fair
Yoshi - I dunno on him actually, probably uair fastfallers
Zelda - fair/bair depending on DI on fastfallers
Roy - see Marth, gets strong fsmash too on little/no DI
Mewtwo - combos on fastfallers, kills well
GnW - I don't understand his throw game
Ness - combos on spacies
Bowser - combos into fair?
Kirby - his throws except dthrow all suck, but this one does good damage, can't be escaped, and can set up tech chases [sorta]
Pichu - CGs into usmash. uair/nair juggles

Brawl uthrows are admittedly pretty bad, but that's due to lack of hitstun. And also this is Brawl Minus... so I'd think we'd make uthrows not suck [see MK, Pikachu, Luigi, Link, Pokémon Trainer for good uthrows].

NEWB

I was talking about u throws being bad in terms of combos. I know uthrow was usually great for that in melee. As for why they aren't as good in minus is likely because our characters are designed for combos, which uthrow never really does.

Thor

I was talking about u throws being bad in terms of combos. I know uthrow was usually great for that in melee. As for why they aren't as good in minus is likely because our characters are designed for combos, which uthrow never really does.

I just mentioned a whole bunch of combos... uthrow uair as Fox, uthrow dair as Falco, uthrow utilt/uair/fsmash as Marth, uthrow knee as Falcon, uthrow fair as Doc... do I have to relist them all? Also many of these can be varied [Doc can do uthrow uair fair or uthrow uair whatever, Falcon can uthrow uair or uthrow bair or uthrow fsmash or whatever].

Uthrow is bad for combos in Brawl and Smash 4, but it's good for comboing in Melee, and some uthrows don't work well in Minus for anything [Falcon's in particular strikes me as near useless, Fox's should probably combo based on his design but it doesn't, Falco's... just bleh].

NEWB

Probably has to do with gravity and the fact that minus has great combo throws or great positioning throws on those characters that aren't uthrow so they really shouldn't be done anyway.

Valravn

Almost(?) everyone falls more slowly in Brawl Minus than in Melee. So if you throw them up, they tend to float in the air longer and you have to chase them into the air for combos instead of staying on the ground.

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
Uthrows are bad in smash 4? I would like to direct you to Greninja, Diddy, Sheik, Falco, and a few others. It doesn't have to work the same way on every character. Most chars have a use for their own throws, or they don't. Not every throw necessarily needs a follow up on every character. It depends on their play style, and how each throw functions. Some chars like Jiggs have no good throws, because she doesn't need them. She has superior options in the air or for pokes. Her bthrow gets people offstage where she wants them, so it still serves a purpose in some regard.

NEWB

I was only saying u throws were bad for combos/long powerful combos that are guaranteed. Those guys have good u throws for reads and possible follow ups because of that which can lead to big damage.

Gold_TSG

Fine then. Next person to go off track gets an infraction.

Valravn

Serious question: what is the topic anymore? This has been a 'Minus general discussion' thread for half a year.

Gold_TSG

Truthfully, this topic should be dead. 4.0 was announced long ago, and no real news has been given in a while or any show of progress. 90% of the discussions that have gone on in the last several pages should have been their own threads.

NEWB

At this point, this thread should be mostly about predictions and speculation, as well questions to the dev team, though questions could probably get their own thread or a simple pm might do. Could probably talk about anything as long as it leads back into those things I guess.

Mariosonicman1

well then i predict raichu from that april fools joke appears in the game. '3' it would be fun to have the full mouse family as playable.

Thor

Hoping for Mewtwo, but I won't be disappointed if he doesn't get in. Eagerly awaiting some changes [like seeing exactly how Ganondorf's Warlock Punch comes out [rumors of some light armor], and to see how strong Peach's meteor smash on dair is].

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
Just letting you guys know that every heated debate that's brought up here we do bring up in there.

In addition, here's some good news: Sammi has found a new place, and is currently settling into it, and Kien and I are cooperating again! Now we can get back to a steady development flow!

Gold_TSG

I think I speak for everyone when I say: FINALLY

Mariosonicman1

just a question, are we allowed to discuss leaks? or should we wait till after the smash bros direct from sakurai?