3.5 Roy Feedback Thread

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
They aren't supposed to both connect. It's basically a sex attack but without the lingering hitbox. Like... Ness?

owo

They aren't supposed to both connect. It's basically a sex attack but without the lingering hitbox. Like... Ness?

hmm okay. It's just awkward to me since there's two sound effects, I thought it meant there were 2 hits.
& I would accept that explanation/analogy but it makes no sense when in roy's case: there's a sword slash animation but no cut effect

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
Well, there are two sound effects to dictate when the move can hit. Are you saying it should hit twice? Because I can make it do that, but no one had better complain when people start spacing Roy for 24% nairs.

NEWB

The only way would be to give it it's own sound effect or speed up the attack further....

Or you could give it only a single slashing sound or remove both sword trails so it's harder to tell there were two sword swings?

I like the idea, but you may need to have it do two 6% hits instead of one 12%. You could get away with doing nothing if few people have qualms with it.

owo

yes I'd prefer if it hit twice just for the animation's sake :p
and if the move becomes too strong you can always tone it down.

also on another note I was wondering if you could give me some insight on the jump cancel on the first hit of roy's f-air. It seems like the only noteworthy option out of the jump cancel is d-air (ken combo sorta)

Thor

If people are worried 24% nair is too good, probably make each slash 9% for an 18% nair - after all, vBrawl MK had a 19% nair. I don't think many people would complain about 18% nair requiring good spacing (24% is kinda high, but I don't think I'd mind too much, actually).

Never knew about JC on first hit of Roy's fair, but I have to wonder what more you could want from it than a ken combo, owo, as the ken combo is pretty darn good. Does it link to a second fair too?

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
yes I'd prefer if it hit twice just for the animation's sake :p
and if the move becomes too strong you can always tone it down.

also on another note I was wondering if you could give me some insight on the jump cancel on the first hit of roy's f-air. It seems like the only noteworthy option out of the jump cancel is d-air (ken combo sorta)

It does in fact link into a second fair. But it's also good for pressuring. You can short hop fair approach and jump back if you hit a shield, etc. You could potentially jump cancel it into a neutral B. Never tried it, but I'd bet depending on DI you could fair jump cancel into up B.

As for Ken combos, it's pretty much a chain of attacks leading into a Marth dair spike. Since Roy has 3 spike angles, Ken combos is kind of his thing. With Bair linking into fair on turn around, and fair linking into dair on immediate jump cancel it kind of works.

Bashdemears

Jiggs2stronk
Ken combos? Explain?
Ken aka the King of Smash was a long time reigning champion of Melee. He invented alot of the tricks of Marth that are still relevant in brawl and minus. the Ken combo is Fair- jump -Fair-dair almost garunteed ko if you space it right. Doing it without the midar jump is a jumpless ken combo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thor

I always though the official Ken Combo was just fair -> jump -> dair, but a longer, oft-used version is SH fair -> land -> FH -> fair -> DJ -> dair. Works best if they DI in and you land tipper fairs because those send at a more vertical angle.

Jumpless Ken Combo is hard, they pretty much have to DI down or else they won't get hit by it.

Other Aether

Mediator
I always though the official Ken Combo was just fair -> jump -> dair, but a longer, oft-used version is SH fair -> land -> FH -> fair -> DJ -> dair. Works best if they DI in and you land tipper fairs because those send at a more vertical angle.

Jumpless Ken Combo is hard, they pretty much have to DI down or else they won't get hit by it.
It's typically fAir>fAir>dAir. I've seen it done with 3 fAirs before, although that was just dumb luck with the opponent's DI.

NEWB

I like Roy, but I can't get a handle on him. I still can't so his third hit for double she dance no matter what I do. If the timing is melee, I'll never get it, as I never got it in melee. I also can't hit with Nair at all.

A couple other things... His get up attacks are identical in speed, below and above 100%
Isn't below 100 supposed to be faster? Also, his counter and air sideb seem to share the exact same animation. Kinda lame.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
Counter and air side B don't share the same animation at all. His Air side B is the last hit of his DED side. You're seeing things I'm afraid.

Would you like me to add more frames during DED to allow the third hit to come out?

Thor

Kienamaru said:
Would you like me to add more frames during DED to allow the third hit to come out?

I think if NEWB practices, he might get it, but...

why are there so few frames to begin with? After practicing I got it, but I admit I too was at first wondering why the third hit is rather difficult to land... is it for linking into ftilt or dtilt and so on?

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
Nope. It's just not as easy as Marth's to pull off. It never has been. But I can pull it off fine? Now that I think about it, I could make it chain into Dtilt... which chains into... Hmm..

NEWB

Is it like melee? I practiced with melee and never got marth's or Roy's to work. Then I figured out the hits had to hit the foe, but I still have tons of trouble.... I might have done it successfully once, but that might have just been another attack.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
I never checked Melee's input data so I'm not sure. But you don't have to hit the foe to continue.

Bashdemears

Jiggs2stronk
The timing just doesn't make sense ass the rhythm of the third hit is soo different than the other two

Tybis

Resident Minusaur
Minus Backroom
The timing of the third hit is just a little more delayed, that's all. Easy to get used to though, at least for me.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
I just wanna say that I reworked Roy today and yesterday taking all suggestions into account (aside of DED timing) and I hope you all will find him as enjoyable as I do when the time comes. I've also fixed every single issue regarding him aside of SFX related things so, look forward to that.

TenZa

Oh lord please don't change his aerial side-b... I love how short of an animation it is, making it very much akin to a Shiek fair (volleyball smack). 99% of the time the angle it sends at is unrecoverable which I think is perfect for Roy

Kymaera K1ng

A PMCC player
Roy should have less KBG on U-Throw and more... Something on U-Air. Also, less BKB but more KBG on U-Special.

Other than that, great job!

EDIT: If F-Throw launched slightly higher and D-Throw had more KBG, that would be great!
Also, those sword trails are annoying as hell when they bug out.

Last edited: