Community cBliss Competition!

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
0264fa79c6.png

Hello, Brawl Minus community!

Today, I would like to open up a new way of contributing to Brawl Minus: The Brawl Minus Community cBliss pack! What is cBliss, you ask? It's Costume Bliss! Each character in the game gets to have 10 costumes (Wario still 12), allowing for more choices in what colors you play as! Only in our cBliss pack, we would like our textures to be made by you!

Sounds cool, how can I do this?
If you don't know how to create textures, I suggest you read the tutorial here
Making Textures
1. Download BrawlBox, an essential tool for anyone who wants to make any type of Brawl hack. The latest version can be found here: http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=207903
2. Extract BrawlBox to somewhere on your computer.
5. Open the file (FitChar00.pcs) in BrawlBox. If you want to make a simple texture hack, right click on where it says "TextureData[0]" and click on "Export All". Create a folder wherever you want to export the textures to and click Ok.
6. Open the textures in an image editor (Ex. Paint.NET, downloadable here: http://www.dotpdn.com/downloads/pdn.html, or GIMP, downloadable here: http://www.gimp.org/downloads/) and edit them as you wish. Save the edited files over the original files.
7. Open the original file in BrawlBox, right click "TextureData[0]" and click on "Replace All". Find the folder where you have all of your edited files and click Ok.
8. Click on the + sign next to "ModelData[0]" and then the + sign next to "3DModels(NW4R)". Right click the MDL0 (Ex. FitCaptain00) and click on "Preview". If you can't see anything, try zooming out by pulling the mouse wheel backwards. To move around, hold the right mouse button and move the mouse. You'll be able to see what your texture looks like on the character/stage. Exit the preview when you are done looking.
9. Go to File > Save As and save the finished file to wherever you want. If you are making characters, make sure to save as a .pcs file (.pac is optional, unless you are making a texture for one of the transforming characters). If you are making stages, make sure to save as a .pac file.

Awesome. Any suggestions or advice?
Definitely. Textures based on the character's source, Nintendo, or video games in general are a good idea of what to aim for. Failing that, making textures that simply look awesome will work just fine. Also, this is important, but NO MODEL SWAPS. Only retextures and little vertexing, at the very most. Think the Koopalings and Alph in SSB4, and that's how far we'd go. Also, we will not be accepting submissions for Wario or Mr. Game & Watch, as Wario already has 12 colors and Mr. Game & Watch handles textures in a manner very different from the rest of the cast.

Alright, I got my textures done. How do I submit them?
Simply provide a screenshot of your texture in the game and attach the file (.pcs) or upload it to a filesharing site and provide a link to your post and it will be considered for inclusion!

There is this really cool texture I saw on the Vault. Can I suggest that?
Only if you have permission from the author in the form of a private message convo you can provide with it. Basically "if you have the okay, then it's okay".

Is there any limit to how many I can submit?
NOPE! Go crazy! Post as many textures as your heart desires!

Any ways to make sure my texture gets noticed more?
Why yes. In the download pack below, The Minus-style Character Select Portraits (CSPs) and Battle Portraits (BPs) are included in a separate folder for every character. If you can color the CSP and BP to match your texture, it's an easy way to get it noticed.

Thanks for filling me in on all the details! How can I get started?
Simple, just download this texture pack. It provides the default texture and CSPs for every character in the game!
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ips6yswvx0w78y3/Minus+cBliss+Texture+creation+kit.zip

If you have any other questions, feel free to post them in this thread!

With that being said, HAPPY TEXTURE MAKING!

Last edited by a moderator:

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
Current Submissions:
Mario [Minimum: 4, Current: 10]
NES Mario by AeroIncarnated and FlairGuy
Minus Mario by AeroIncarnated
Ice Mario by mnsg
Grandad by FlairGuy
Flying Mario by FlairGuy
SMBZ Mario by FlairGuy
Super Show Mario by FlairGuy
Dudley by FlairGuy
Blue Sm4sh Mario by Sonic 7-X
Mario Maker by Sonic 7-X

Luigi [Minimum: 4, Current: 7]
Minus Luigi by AeroIncarnated
Ice Luigi by mnsg
Super Mario World Luigi by FlairGuy
Anime Luigi by FlairGuy
NES Luigi by FlairGuy
Jotaro Kujo by Flair Guy

Flying Luigi by Sonic 7-X

Peach [Minimum: 4, Current: 5]
NES Peach by FlairGuy
Shadow Peach by FlairGuy
Rosalina by FlairGuy
Lip by FlairGuy
Parasoul Peach by Dudex

Bowser [Minimum: 4, Current: 6]
NES Bowser by FlairGuy
Giga Bowser by FlairGuy
Dark Bowser by FlairGuy
Midbus by FlairGuy
Zangief by Dudex
Pink Bowser by Dudex

DK [Minimum: 4, Current: 5]
Classic DK by AeroIncarnated
Silverback Gorilla by FlairGuy
Teddie by FlairGuy
Umaro by FlairGuy
Bonzi Buddy by FlairGuy

Diddy [Minimum: 4, Current: 1]
Diddy's Super Kong by mnsg

Link [Minimum: 4, Current: 5]
Boss Link by FlairGuy
Black Link by FlairGuy
Purple Link by FlairGuy
Minus Link by AeroIncarnated
Fierce Diety Link by Dudex

Zelda [Minimum: 4, Current: 1]
Minus Zelda by AeroIncarnated

Sheik [Minimum: 4, Current: 1]
Minus Sheik by AeroIncarnated

Toon Link [Minimum: 4, Current: 6]
ALttP Link by FlairGuy
Kafei by FlairGuy
Vaati by FlairGuy
Gold Toon Link by FlairGuy
Black Toon Link by FlairGuy
Lavender TL by FlairGuy

Ganondorf [Minimum: 4, Current: 7]
King of Red Lions by Lightning
Hades by FlairGuy
King Harkinian by FlairGuy
Minus Ganondorf by AeroIncarnated
Gold's Ganon by AeroIncarnated
CATS by FlairGuy
DIO by FlairGuy

Samus [Minimum: 4, Current: 2]
Federation Suit by FlairGuy
Minus Samus by Valravn

Zero Suit Samus [Minimum: 4, Current: 3]
Orange Zero Suit by FlairGuy
Bayonetta by FlairGuy
Federation Suit ZSS by FlairGuy

Fox [Minimum: 4, Current: 3]
Minus Fox by Valravn
Marcus by Dudex
Peppy's Granddaughter by Dudex

Falco [Minimum: 4, Current: 3]
Adventures Falco by Dudex
Assault Falco by Dudex
Flamingo Falco by Dudex

Wolf [Minimum: 4, Current: 1]
Pink Wolf by Dudex

Captain Falcon [Minimum: 4, Current: 7]
Kei Nanjo by FlairGuy
Baba by FlairGuy
Protoman by FlairGuy
Golden Falcon by FlairGuy
Minus Falcon by AeroIncarnated
Wonder Red by FlairGuy
Captain Rainbow by FlairGuy

Marth [Minimum: 4, Current: 10]
Erika by FlairGuy
Rance by FlairGuy
Prince Peasely by FlairGuy
Ally Unit by AeroIncarnated
Enemy Unit by Aero Incarnated
Minus Marth by AeroIncarnated

Warrior of Light by FlairGuy
Classic Marth by FlairGuy
Ike Marth by FlairGuy
Sigurd by FlairGuy

Ike [Minimum: 4, Current: 3]
Lord Ike by FlairGuy
Gregor by FlairGuy
Pink Ike by Dudex

Roy [Minimum: 4, Current: 3]
Ally Unit by AeroIncarnated
Enemy Unit by AeroIncarnated
Minus Roy by AeroIncarnated

R.O.B. [Minimum: 4, Current: 5]
SNES ROB by AndiQuote
Minus ROB by Aeroincarnated
VirtualBoy by FlairGuy
Gamecube by FlairGuy
Wii by FlairGuy

Ice Climbers [Minimum: 4, Current: 1]
Donbe and Hikari by FlairGuy

Kirby [Minimum: 4, Current: 4]
Purple Kirby by mnsg
King Dedede Kirby by AeroIncarnated
02 Kirby by AeroIncarnated
Shadow Kirby by FlairGuy

Meta Knight [Minimum: 4, Current: 2]
Dark Meta Knight by FlairGuy
Justice (Band) themed Knight by ManstaB

King Dedede [Minimum: 4, Current: 1]
Shadow Dedede by FlairGuy

Pikachu [Minimum: 6, Current: 1]
Classic Pikachu by AeroIncarnated

Jigglypuff [Minimum: 5, Current: 5]
Doqtor Kirby Jigglypuff by AeroIncarnated
Classic Jigglypuff by AeroIncarnated
Mango by Doqtor Kirby
Mirage by Doqtor Kirby
Albino by Doqtor Kirby

Pichu [Minimum: 6, Current: 3]
Pachirisu by Pin Clock
Emolga by Pin Clock
Dedenne by Pin Clock

Lucario [Minimum: 5, Current: 6]
Gallade by Lightning
Shiny Lucario by FlairGuy
Lopunny by FlairGuy
Knuckles the Echidna by FlairGuy
Zoroark by FlairGuy
Mienshao by FlairGuy

Ness [Minimum: 4, Current: 1]
Minus Ness by AeroIncarnated

Lucas [Minimum: 4, Current: 4]
Minus Lucas by AeroIncarnated
Masked Man Lucas by AeroIncarnated
Fuel by FlairGuy
Ness Lucas by FlairGuy

Sonic [Minimum: 5, Current: 3]
Classic Sonic Texture by AeroIncarnated
COLDSTEEL THE HEDGEHEG by FlairGuy
Minus Sonic by AeroIncarnated and Sonic

Last edited by a moderator:

Thor

Are nominations allowed? If so, I nominate Aero's Sprite Falco and MLG Fox [or whomever made them]. If nominations are not allowed, just delete this post.

AndIQuote

I'd like to submit my SNES R.O.B. I'm going to update some of the textures and upload it later, but in the meantime, here's a picture of it:
al_121127_17421binout.jpg

Valravn

Ooh, that's pretty. I haven't done any brawl texturing, but it should be good practice for my regular texturing work. I'll come up with something!

AeroIncarnated

The Only Hero
Are nominations allowed? If so, I nominate Aero's Sprite Falco and MLG Fox [or whomever made them]. If nominations are not allowed, just delete this post.
Wow thanks. I made both of these. However I used smash 3 textures as a base for those recolors. So I don't know if that would work since it's not just plain brawl textures. I do plan to make some recolors for this thread when I get done with my music pack cover.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Are you looking for new portraits for existing costumes, or of new costumes?

If it's the latter, artists better make sure the costumes will get approved before they go to the trouble of making portraits of them.

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
Are you looking for new portraits for existing costumes, or of new costumes?

If it's the latter, artists better make sure the costumes will get approved before they go to the trouble of making portraits of them.
Portraits of the costumes that they make. They don't have to do it (but even then most of my portraits, which are the ones being recolored, only use 4-6 colors on average) but if they do it will make it easier to incorporate it into the game, which can influence our choice.

I updated the OP a little to clarify.

Doqtor Kirby

Resident Design Nitpicker
Minus Backroom

AeroIncarnated

The Only Hero
Even when i'm not uploading i'm still uploading something.

Edit: I actually want to improve the textures on it though. I made that when I first started learning photoshop.

Flair Guy

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
This is going to be an optional add-on, right? How is that going to work?

I'm guessing that uniformity of portrait styles/poses/etc. is going out the window with this.

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
This is going to be an optional add-on, right? How is that going to work?

I'm guessing that uniformity of portrait styles/poses/etc. is going out the window with this.
the cBliss build will be using my artwork, which anyone using Photoshop or even MS Paint can easily recolor the CSPs of, making the poses really easy to maintain uniformity.

There will be a release with and without cBliss, among other things, which I will explain at a later date.

AeroIncarnated

The Only Hero
my artwork, which anyone using Photoshop or even MS Paint can easily recolor the CSPs of, making the poses really easy to maintain uniformity.
Actually! Your CSPs aren't the easiest to recolor on Photoshop. As you can't easily cut them out or paint unless you want to mess up the black lines of the drawing which leads to me having to carefully paint them to make sure it looks legit. At least that's my personal experience.

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
Actually! Your CSPs aren't the easiest to recolor on Photoshop. As you can't easily cut them out or paint unless you want to mess up the black lines of the drawing which leads to me having to carefully paint them to make sure it looks legit. At least that's my personal experience.

Seriously? Well if it comes down to it, it isn't that hard for me to do them in Flash later on, just tedious is all.

Have you tried messing with the paint bucket settings?

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
for mario and luigi, can you alter them from each other a little bit? like can you invert the colors for pants-shirt-hat so it's easier to differ between them?

AeroIncarnated

The Only Hero
for mario and luigi, can you alter them from each other a little bit? like can you invert the colors for pants-shirt-hat so it's easier to differ between them?
I actually thought of doing that. I did that same idea for the Sprite mod as well. But, I felt that it wouldn't be cool if luigi had purple pants and purple gloves. Just seems silly to me. If you can't tell the difference between Luigi and Mario by now i'm sorry. Plus in team battles they look cooler wearing their matching outfits.

Also to Pin, I don't use Paintbucket because it tends to be more of a hassle than anything else.

Flair Guy

I actually thought of doing that. I did that same idea for the Sprite mod as well. But, I felt that it wouldn't be cool if luigi had purple pants and purple gloves. Just seems silly to me. If you can't tell the difference between Luigi and Mario by now i'm sorry. Plus in team battles they look cooler wearing their matching outfits.
I dunno, Luigi having a purple hat and shirt seems pretty Waluigi to me. Different shades, but still.

AeroIncarnated

The Only Hero
Well, you can always just download it and change the textures and the CSPs yourself. I however, have no will to do so myself. I like it just the way it is and i'm too busy working on new stuff which I will upload in like 30 minutes.

AeroIncarnated

The Only Hero
So I took like the rest of the day to make some costumes based off the Sprites of older generations games. I managed to complete Mario, Sonic, Pikachu, and Donkey Kong. Mario and Sonic both have smash 3 variations as well. The M on Mario's hat has been removed as it didn't exist back then. I also took away Sonic's shoe buckle as it didn't exist it. These costumes aren't 100% accurate to the Sprites as I didn't want to give Mario green hair and orange skin. Plus to let you know now Pikachu's mouth looks a bit odd. It looks fine from far away though. Anyways, as usual I included CSPs and BPs for all costumes.
Here's some images: