Which version to play first?

After casually playing Brawl Minus, I lurked around for these forums a bit and saw the whole balance issue thing.

I'd like to play more competitively and was wondering whether I should play MAX, 3.Q, wait for 4.0, or another version. I'm not really a big fan of not-fun brokenness.

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
3.Q is the one for you! Look forward to 4.0 too!

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Play 3.Q, but substitute in an older build of 'Dorf. I recommend the newer one in my signature.

Gifted

The Mother Fucking Queen
3.Q, for now.
I'd suggest trying each of them, personally.
And if Brawl Minus does not work for you.
I'd go for Brawl DX.
But I suggest giving Brawl Minus a fair chance, before ditching.

Thor

After casually playing Brawl Minus, I lurked around for these forums a bit and saw the whole balance issue thing.

I'd like to play more competitively and was wondering whether I should play MAX, 3.Q, wait for 4.0, or another version. I'm not really a big fan of not-fun brokenness.

If you're a Samus main, you may be dissatisfied with how quickly she falls in 3.Q. I was never able to adapt to it [though others were]. If that's a problem, it may be worth giving 3.3 a spin.

Otherwise, 3.Q and update to 4.0 when it comes out. If you want a build of Ganondorf where utilt doesn't suck and dsmash makes sense, substitute in 3.5 Ganondorf if you're familiar with how to mix and match the files. If you're not, either get help from someone on the forums [I can tag someone for you if you want], or just know his utilt and dsmash will be different in 4.0 [more like Brawl in terms of animation and function], which is generally agreed to feel more natural on Ganondorf anyway.