Up-B momentum

Thanatoast

Grim Reaper in Training
With the release of 4.0b, Wolf now has excellent momentum that drags him way up in the air for superior vertical recovery
While I think this is great and everything because it prevents folks from getting easy spikes and such, I do have a thing to bring up (Wait, me bringing up an issue?! Inconceivable!)
This brings Wolf's vertical recovery game much higher than Fox's and is on par with Falco's Up-B. Now, with Falco, it was understandable because he is bird and bird fly high. But Wolf is wolf and, if anything, should be on par with Fox in terms of vertical momentum/recovery.
Now, fighting against Wolf, I've came to realize that the best ways of actually killing the angsty furry was to manage to force him as far away from the stage as possible, due to his high fall-speed/gravity/whatever you wanna call it. Wolf was a heavy bugger, so that was the best way to get him dead. Spikes and meteor smashes were easily the sure-fire way to go. If I managed to get him to a point where he was standing still on the ground (once in a blue moon) and hit him with a powerful smash, then I took it.
However, with this added momentum boost, Wolf no longer truly has to worry about getting too far away from the stage to recover. It is on par with Falco's (or at least marginally close), so he can just rise from the dead and proceed to tell me how much playtime is over. At least Falco's up-B didn't kill at silly low percents.
The thing is that there isn't much incentive to play as Fox over Wolf because basically, now Wolf can do nearly everything Fox does except better. Sure, he can't do his nifty side-b-into-GroundAttack combos, but Wolf can do his SideSmash-Cancel-SideB-Nair-GroundSmash combo, which is better by leaps and bounds. Wolf now has better horizontal and vertical recovery, better damage output, better knockback... Really, the only thing bad I can see about Wolf is if you manage to clang with him on the edge and the opponent mashes into Nair, which would normally be enough to kill, but now, not so much.
So, I have three ideas. One, we could take the momentum and push it somewhere else, or nerf the Up-B somehow. Maybe take away that last hit at the end that knocks the enemy straight-up into the air, maybe take away the momentum, increase wind-up time.
Two, in traditional Minus fashion, we could bring up other characters abilities to be on par with this rising horror. We could bring up Fox's distance traveled with up-B, giving him as much of an edge at recovery as Wolf does.
Three, we could disregard this thread as another small rant by a player who still has yet to git gud. :eek:

Thor

With the release of 4.0b, Wolf now has excellent momentum that drags him way up in the air for superior vertical recovery
While I think this is great and everything because it prevents folks from getting easy spikes and such, I do have a thing to bring up (Wait, me bringing up an issue?! Inconceivable!)
This brings Wolf's vertical recovery game much higher than Fox's and is on par with Falco's Up-B. Now, with Falco, it was understandable because he is bird and bird fly high. But Wolf is wolf and, if anything, should be on par with Fox in terms of vertical momentum/recovery.
Now, fighting against Wolf, I've came to realize that the best ways of actually killing the angsty furry was to manage to force him as far away from the stage as possible, due to his high fall-speed/gravity/whatever you wanna call it. Wolf was a heavy bugger, so that was the best way to get him dead. Spikes and meteor smashes were easily the sure-fire way to go. If I managed to get him to a point where he was standing still on the ground (once in a blue moon) and hit him with a powerful smash, then I took it.
However, with this added momentum boost, Wolf no longer truly has to worry about getting too far away from the stage to recover. It is on par with Falco's (or at least marginally close), so he can just rise from the dead and proceed to tell me how much playtime is over. At least Falco's up-B didn't kill at silly low percents.
The thing is that there isn't much incentive to play as Fox over Wolf because basically, now Wolf can do nearly everything Fox does except better. Sure, he can't do his nifty side-b-into-GroundAttack combos, but Wolf can do his SideSmash-Cancel-SideB-Nair-GroundSmash combo, which is better by leaps and bounds. Wolf now has better horizontal and vertical recovery, better damage output, better knockback... Really, the only thing bad I can see about Wolf is if you manage to clang with him on the edge and the opponent mashes into Nair, which would normally be enough to kill, but now, not so much.
So, I have three ideas. One, we could take the momentum and push it somewhere else, or nerf the Up-B somehow. Maybe take away that last hit at the end that knocks the enemy straight-up into the air, maybe take away the momentum, increase wind-up time.
Two, in traditional Minus fashion, we could bring up other characters abilities to be on par with this rising horror. We could bring up Fox's distance traveled with up-B, giving him as much of an edge at recovery as Wolf does.
Three, we could disregard this thread as another small rant by a player who still has yet to git gud. :eek:

Wolf's side smash is heavily SDIable [or was, the 2.x.6 change thing might have affected that], and I've had issues getting it to link even on people who don't SDI it. If you'd care to tell me what cancel this is, I'm interested because I haven't heard of one [was that the "2.x.6" tweak in the changelog...?], but even then, SDI his stuff and his moveset becomes much less effective [nair, up+B, fsmash, heck even SDIing uairs make him work harder to chain them].

He also can't kill some people offstage at zero by pressing downB, and his Wolf Flash is a lot more linear in my opinion [Fox can shine to shorten it without loss of height, while Wolf has to consistently be able to do shortens to shorten it, and he seems to lose more height than Fox doing this], while his recovery is still overall harder to control.

Frankly, if up+B were to be nerfed, removing the super armor it has should be sufficient [I think it has some].

Fox still has his amazing lasers, shine into usmash, and a nair with more range, as well as a very potent fair and a great utilt that hits behind him, not to mention his jab [still combos into aerials I believe, if not itself]. Wolf also still has worse horizontal recovery in that it covers big sweeping distances, meaning aiming for the ledge isn't as easy as it is for Fox.

Wolf had huge issues with dying due to having no momentum after Fire Wolf [easily ledgehogged, in a game where the devs seem to mostly want to avoid ledgehogs] - they did a wonderful job fixing Fire Wolf to avoid this.

One other thing about Wolf is that he has a difficult time using aerials to protect himself on the way back, while Fox has less of an issue doing this [his shine is a lot better at this than Wolf's and he can side+b -> moving firefox to set up where he ultimately uses FIrefox while moving on startup, which Wolf can't do.] So while Wolf may be able to recover farther, he can't protect himself as well, a decent balancing factor in my opinion.