The X Tournament Series Goes Minus [X1: Seiran on 30 January]

Doqtor Kirby

Resident Design Nitpicker
Minus Backroom
xeiwtp.png
Greetings, mortals.

If you don't know me already... why are you living underneath a rock? No seriously, get out of the rock.

I'm Doq, one of the BR members. Outside of that, though, I am a TO for a prominent tournament series called the X Tournament Series. The X Tournament Series for the past year has only featured Super Smash Flash 2, a fangame developed by McLeodGaming. For the 2016 season, I plan on changing that. For X1, Brawl Minus will be making its second appearance in the X Tournament Series, not as a side event, but as a main game.

And now, on to the details:
The time slot that Minus has is 3:47 PM Eastern Standard Time (12:47 PM Pacific) on 30 January 2016. This slot starts 45 minutes after Smash Flash 2, to accommodate those participating in both events.
Here is the bracket link: http://x-series.challonge.com/seiran_m
And I considered standardizing the chatroom between the two games but that would be confusing quickly so we'll just use the Minus IRC for Minus players: https://forums.brawlminus.net/pages/chatroom/

You need some rules, right?
Basic rules:
  • 4 stocks
  • 7 minutes
  • No items
  • Dave's Stupid Ass Rule (DSAR): You can't pick a stage you won on in the set
  • Modified X Rule: Top 8 matches are streamed. Players can request a live or recorded set.
  • Kyoz-Lunary Addendum: If set is recorded, replays must be saved. Failure to do so will result in a redo of the set.
  • Bullshit Rule: In the event the match is redone, players cannot simply SD to save a replay for the match. This will result in a disqualification as well as a month ban for both players.
  • This rule does not apply if there is no livestreamer.
  • Sets are best of 3 games, winners, losers, and grand finals are best of 5. Salty Suites are best of 7 unless specified otherwise.
  • Game 1 characters are double-blind. After game 1, the loser of the previous game announces the stage choice, the winner announces a character counterpick if desired.
  • f a desync occurs, the match is replayed. If continuous desyncs occur, the player with the most stocks and least percent wins. If there is a discrepancy, it's the TO's decision.
  • If timeout occurs, the player with most stocks/least percent wins. If there's same stocks and percent, see me.
  • If a player uses a suicide move to take both players' last stocks, the initiator loses the game.
  • Stalling is banned. This should be pretty self-expanatory.
  • Gentleman's Clause is allowed. All rules can be thrown out the window if both players agree.

Stage Legality
3 Stage Bans in the counterpicking process
Starter:
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Pokemon Stadium 2
  • Smashville
  • Fountain of Dreams
Counterpick:
  • Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
  • Spear Pillar
  • Lavander Town
  • Castle Siege
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Halberd
  • Warioware

Unlike the official Minus tournaments, I'm poor, so there's no cash prizes. That said, you are participating in a series of tournaments with a well-known reputation, so would it even matter?

Any questions can be left in here. I wrote this late at night so I'll probably get to it the next day.

Thor

FYI: owo and I played game 3 of Winner's Round 1 today as Falco Falcon. It was on Battlefield, and the game took 6 minutes and 50 seconds [that was the time owo lost his last stock on the victory screen].

None of my other games seemed nearly that long [if I recall correctly], but that suggests that timing out is very difficult at 8 minutes, and still quite hard at 7, but doable. If the point is to discourage timeouts, 8 is perfect, but if you acknowledge it's a legitimate [but difficult] way to win, 7 is better. But it may happen if an influx of Toon Links occurs or something.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Is this going to be streamed? If not, can we go ahead and finalize part of the bracket and knock some matches out early?

I ask because I won't be available until around 8:00 PM EST on Saturday.

Doqtor Kirby

Resident Design Nitpicker
Minus Backroom
I am unable to stream the event (lack of a capture card and I'm usually streaming the SSF2 portion of the event) but if someone else is willing to that would be great.

I don't ever finalize the bracket until 2 minutes before it starts.

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
I am unable to stream the event (lack of a capture card and I'm usually streaming the SSF2 portion of the event) but if someone else is willing to that would be great.

I don't ever finalize the bracket until 2 minutes before it starts.
My comp is too pisspoor to stream. Looks like this won't be streamed unless someone has the availability to do it. At least we'll have replays.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
OK, guess I can't participate in this one, then.

If time restrictions get loosened up, I'll be around after 8 PM EST.