Technique; "Crawldashing"

Tybis

Resident Minusaur
Minus Backroom
Crawldashing; what is it?
Crawldashing is basically a psuedo-backwards wavedash resulting from a dash and a crawl.
It's been around forever in Minus, but I've never heard anyone mention it until recently.

za6yRUT.gif

It's especially pronounced with Shiek.

After messing around as Zamus for a few rounds with my friends, I noticed that I was sliding backwards, like a wavedash, when I tried crouching while moving forward. With experimentation I've found that it's caused by canceling from a dash into a backwards crawl for a moment, then releasing the stick to neutral or crouching.

How to - Dash>crouch>crawl backwards briefly>Stand*
*Stand can be replaced with anything that isn't crawling - jumping, attacking, etc.
The timing is different per character. I think it's easiest to perform as Luigi/Ivy.

Out of all the crawling characters, 2/3 can crawldash... but out of those crawldashers, only about half may be practical. So, I've made a list based on how useful each character's crawldash is.

Shiek - The standout example of this tech. If you do it just right, she goes back a distance rivaling her DACUS! I might be crazy, but she may only get this additional boost when she's facing right - I literally was unable to do it facing left. Oh, and I think she can moonwalk with this. :cool:
Luigi - The only other character that crawldashes further backwards from the point where he started dashing. Thanks to Luigi's low friction, he slides back a good distance greater than every other character, barring Shiek. His reverse crawl momentum seems to decelerate at a slower rate than everyone else's too, so crawling backwards after a dash could be a legit alternative (maybe). Also, it looks funny.

- These characters have smaller or less practical crawldashes. In terms of utility, they range from somewhat useful to debatable use. In general order of distance/usefulness;
Zamus
Diddy
Ivysaur
Yoshi
Snake
Squirtle
Pikachu

- None. Despite being able to crawl, these characters can't crawldash or travel almost no distance backwards when doing so.
Bowser
Lucario
Rob
Wario

Thoughts?

NEWB

So you dash, turnaround, crouch, and release crouch?

Or do you dash, crouch, turnaround, release crouch?

To the devs, is this intended or an exploit? Is this only possible in minus?

What is a crouch cancel?

Glyph

Oh my goodness this looks incredible.

How easy is it to input an attack during the slide? Can you slide backwards with an up smash?

Tybis

Resident Minusaur
Minus Backroom
Glyph said:
How easy is it to input an attack during the slide? Can you slide backwards with an up smash?

Pretty easy, and yes. As long as the attack doesn't halt momentum (Fsmash is one?), then you should keep sliding. Experiment!

NEWB said:
So you dash, turnaround, crouch, and release crouch?

Or do you dash, crouch, turnaround, release crouch?

To the devs, is this intended or an exploit? Is this only possible in minus?

What is a crouch cancel?

Woah woah.

1 and 2. There's no turnaround at all. I just bolded the How To part; it involves crawling for only a moment.

3. Looks like it's an exploit...? You can't Dash>Crouch in vBrawl without stopping... But PM seems to share this with us. However, it's impractical due to actual wavedashing being possible (it's also reduced).

4. AW JEEZ. I guess "crouch cancelling" refers to... something else. Nevermind that. Edited OP.

Glyph

Wow that is actually huge for Ivy, being able to slide an u-smash back into someone on the ledge or something like that would be super sexy.

Too bad I don't get off work til 8 tonight and can't try until then :(

Tybis

Resident Minusaur
Minus Backroom
Glyph said:
Wow that is actually huge for Ivy, being able to slide an u-smash back into someone on the ledge or something like that would be super sexy.

Not to burst anyone's bubble, but I separated Shiek/Luigi from the rest as there's a big difference in distance traveled.
On the bright side, now you can do sliding Up and Down tilts with Ivy and the rest... probably more.

Glyph

Yeah not really very applicable with Ivy, but still VERY neat for Sheik! I'm still getting used to the input, but once I get it down it should really help Sheik's mixup game.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Glyph said:
Yeah not really very applicable with Ivy, but still VERY neat for Sheik! I'm still getting used to the input, but once I get it down it should really help Sheik's mixup game.

I didn't know you played Sheik, Glyph.

Since I play Zelda, I should learn Sheik, but it's a bit daunting for some reason... Her style has never just "clicked" with me like my other mains' have.

Glyph

I don't, but I like to keep up to date on techs when they come out. I didn't play Ness a few weeks ago, but now he's one of my best characters.

Also my brother plays a pretty scary Sheik, and the whole 'know your enemy' stuff