Suggestions for Stage Changes that could assist the lack of large stages

Turk Injaydii

Brawl Zeus Bandwagon-Rider
The lack of large stages is an issue that has been brought to the devs attention multiple times, and they have acknowledged that it is a legitimate concern. I thought we could help them out by suggesting ideas that could be "quick fixes" to help the issue. However, if you have more drastic changes in mind that could also be helpful, please feel free to share!

That being said, these are some of my suggestions to help give us some large legal stages.
  • Kongo Jungle: The only problem with this stage is the spawn points. In a 1 vs 1, each character spawns on the left side of the stage with only about a character's length in between them. To give the players a neutral start, the spawn points should be edited to have characters spawn on opposite sides of the stage per the usual. If this were edited, it would make the stage a great large stage for counter picking. Unique layout, large blast zones, and I love the decision to remove the barrel because it eliminated camping concerns and its no longer there to save folks from a successful edge guard.
  • Dream Greens: This stage is awesome and everyone loves it...or they would if it weren't for the apples. If the apples were removed, it would be EXCELLENT for competitive play. If the devs want the apples to stay, I feel it would be a good decision to give this stage the PM treatment seen on stages like Bowser's Castle. Leave the current version in game, and make an alternate version with no apples selectable by holding the L button during selection.
  • Rumble Falls: Honestly, this stage is fine as is for Singles and Doubles play as a counter pick. It almost fits the bill of a large stage with its large playing area and high ceiling. HOWEVER, the side blast zones are TINY! This stage HEAVILY favors characters that kill of the sides right now because of it. That's not necessarily a bad thing...but if the blast lines were pushed further out, it would give TOs an option for a large stage in the counter pick list.

Last edited:

Farkus

Retired
I agree but, its only legal in doubles, which we like, never do, so its not much of an issue.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
On the subject of blast zones, anyone else ever wish the blast zones of standard levels (like FD) were just a little bit wider? They feel too thin to me, considering how great recoveries are in Minus. Lots of times, I've wanted to "go deep" for a Flying Falcon Punch or Knee, but nope -- Blast Zone got my opponent before I could get out there. Maybe it's just because the CPU I was fighting can't use DI properly...

I really hope CPU get "taught" how to use advanced techniques in 4.0.

Turk Injaydii

I agree but, its only legal in doubles, which we like, never do, so its not much of an issue.

Its a great stage, really no reason for it to be illegal in singles other than the blast zone issue. Friends and I really enjoy the stage, so hope they fix the issues in 4.0....I also wish Dream Greens didn't have the stupid apples. Such a great stage, but can't use it in bracket because of the slight chance of the apples interfering.

Turk Injaydii

On the subject of blast zones, anyone else ever wish the blast zones of standard levels (like FD) were just a little bit wider? They feel too thin to me, considering how great recoveries are in Minus. Lots of times, I've wanted to "go deep" for a Flying Falcon Punch or Knee, but nope -- Blast Zone got my opponent before I could get out there. Maybe it's just because the CPU I was fighting can't use DI properly...

I really hope CPU get "taught" how to use advanced techniques in 4.0.

Yeah, the blast zones on quite a few stages seem smaller than they should be. Rumble Falls is just the most extreme case I've encountered.

Regarding CPUs, I REALLY hope the AI gets an upgrade. It'd be great if they at least DI'd properly so I could get good practice with combos that would actually work on a competent player. With Marth, i can just up tilt any fastfaller like 5 times or more. Its ridiculous. Lol

Farkus

Retired
This is less of an issue of the stages being smaller, but every character is stronger and kills at lower percents, and for some characters bigger. The stage just didn't scale with the characters.

Turk Injaydii

I've edited this thread's title and my initial comment on the thread to be less specific of a topic. Let's talk about some ways to get some larger stages available for TOs to use in their stage lists! :D

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
Honestly I agree with Dream Greens needing the removal of apples to be made legal but Congo Jungle is really easily campable and has issues with characters' jump heights making them really bad on the stage although the jump velocity increase in 4.0 will most like ly fix this. Rhmble Falls has shitty blast zones but everyone knows that. The old Hyrule castle mod also was legal and a faily large stage to boot and I'm pretty sure it will be coming back in 4.0f. We also know Tybis is working on Brawl Minus original stages that will fix these issues hopefully...

Turk Injaydii

Honestly I agree with Dream Greens needing the removal of apples to be made legal but Congo Jungle is really easily campable and has issues with characters' jump heights making them really bad on the stage although the jump velocity increase in 4.0 will most like ly fix this. Rhmble Falls has shitty blast zones but everyone knows that. The old Hyrule castle mod also was legal and a faily large stage to boot and I'm pretty sure it will be coming back in 4.0f. We also know Tybis is working on Brawl Minus original stages that will fix these issues hopefully...

Kongo Jungle is definitely campable in Smash 4, in which the stage is larger in comparison to the character models, and the canon is present. Its not as much of an issue in Minus though, since the stage is considerably smaller, characters have much improved mobility, and the canon is gone. Just REALLY hope the spawn points are changed for a neutral start.

Seems that EVERYONE wishes the apples on Dream Greens were gone, lol. Hopefully the devs will grant that wish.

As for new/returning stages, I'm anxious to see them! 4.0b is my first experience with Minus. So I never saw the Temple mod. Have seen the old PS1 that was static on the Grass transformation. Looked awesome and I hope that makes a return.

Demopot

Meme Rapper
Man I just want something like the Project M training room so I can practice waveshining opponents and stuff