Smash 4 Mains, Tips, and Combos

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
So....
Smash 4 has been out for a while. It's about time to discuss tactics and mains.
This is the place to do so. Have fun.
Also, those who know my playstyle in Minus can probably guess my two mains....who can do it?

Greatest_Aether

Forum Reg of sorts
I have yet to face you, so I have no input on that last sentence.

I main Little Mac, Ness, Mega Man, Ike and Shulk. In that order.
Not exactly a tactic, but it feels so good when you knock your foes off the stage with Little Mac and YOLO Jolt Haymaker off the edge, hit them and kill them before you die. :D

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
You knock foes off stage with Little Mac and they're not dead?

Darxmarx

The Learning Star Warrior
Also, those who know my playstyle in Minus can probably guess my two mains....who can do it?

Sheik and Greninja?
I obviously main Kirby, but I also really like Dr. Mario, since I loved playing as him in Melee. Fear the Megavitamins.
My combos aren't nearly as creative as in Minus, but I still tend to grab someone and then follow up with something.

Greatest_Aether

Forum Reg of sorts
Darx gets a cookie. Anyway, Little Mac has Dtilt, which leads into a lot of things, like utilt, fSmash, Jolt Haymaker and my favorite, KO Uppercut/Star Punch/whatever you want to call it.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and side tilt. That's really good too.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
Having to relearn Sheik in order to incorporate new side and up B, as well as the fSmash feels different, I wonder if anyone has found any steath grenade combos. I've not had an easy time training with that move. I have found that the multihit downB works great in more than 1v1. Most of my Minus Sheik techniques still apply, which is nice. My needles don't explode, which I sadly expected.

Greninja, however, has been very very promising. I love the moveset. Greninja is all about counterattack. Not only with his substitution jutsu, but the use of the teleporting attack as a counter. I do have a serious problem of the game thinking I'm pressing sideB instead of upB when I recover, which I can usually still recover from but can sometimes be a hassle. My offensive game is solid, with most combos being midair. A CPU ninja showed me a combo of dAir to bAir, which killed me.

Has anyone seen anything impressive for those two?

NEWB

Sheik: utilt strings, amazing spacing with downb, fastfall uairs to bring people down to the ground, that's about all the stuff I've seen.

Greninja: haven't seen much of him. The only combos I know are dair follow ups and fully charged shuriken into aerials. Dtilt (utilt?) is a great way to lead into sweet spot Usmash.

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
That sweetspot ninja uSmash is so satisfying.
Sheik uAir to bring foes down???
I'm practicing my Sheik downBs. I'm getting the double downBs in as well.

NEWB

Many multihit moves in smash 4 have auto link hitboxes. All of the other hitboxes hit foes toward the final hitbox. Sheiks Uair has little to no endlag, so she can Uair and land before the final hitbox comes out to keep foes above her head when she lands to follow up.

Not all multi hit moves have auto link hitboxes. Infinite jabs obviously don't. Megamans bair has them but MKs fair doesn't.

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
You and I should clash sometime. Like Minus, I use most of the cast to a decent degree, while annihilating with my mains. Dorf is so strong it's hilarious.

Thor

For Sheik, my primary use of burst grenade is for forcing someone to shield and grabbing them. I dunno if it's real or not but it seems like I'm grabbing them almost as the explosion is occurring. I often do SH grenade -> dash grab. If they get hit by it, can follow with uair or maybe fair/bair.

I'll also throw it offstage to mess with people. Though usually I just go off with bouncing fish/fair, the grenade can mess with some characters you might not want to run off again (Ex: at high percent vs Ness or something).

For the record, if you don't like Battlefield as Sheik, you should start to - if you are on the ground and they're on a side platform (not the top platform), your usmash will either miss OR it will sweetspot - and automatic sweetspot usmash is really really good.

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
You and I should clash sometime
Who is "you" in this statement, Gold?

Also, not bad ideas, Thor. My bouncing fish is good enough, but my grenade skills need to improve.

Gold_TSG

You are you, duh.

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
I wasn't sure. You said it right after NEWB.

I'll have to set my router back up in order to play online. That school wifi doesn't support game systems.

Gold_TSG

Them thar school wifimajiggers is always finicky

Greatest_Aether

Forum Reg of sorts
Does anyone have any tips for Little Mac? I'm OK with him, but tips would be good. I mean, not getting hit offstage is good, but it's hard to not get flying offstage.

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
Can anyone tell me how 2 Jigglypuff in this?
I just can't figure her out...
Midair punishment. fAir and bAir strings. uAir finishers. Ground attacks are risky. At least that's how I play Jiggly.