Roy 4.0b Feedback Thread

Kymaera K1ng

A PMCC player
Hello! Discuss Roy in 4.0b, issues and likewise!

Also, I'm only doing his to push brawl minus and because Kien won't.

Last edited:

Kymaera K1ng

A PMCC player
Roy should have less KBG on U-Throw and more... Something on U-Air. Also, less BKB but more KBG on U-Special.

Other than that, great job!

EDIT: If F-Throw launched slightly higher and D-Throw had more KBG, that would be great!
Also, those sword trails are annoying as hell when they bug out.
Roy should have less KBG on U-Throw and more... Something on U-Air. Also, less BKB but more KBG on U-Special.

Other than that, great job!

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
I kind of fell out of Minus for a bit. I could come back but I've yet to decide if it's worth it. I can make those changes however, and his sword trails will be fixed in 4.0

Turk Injaydii

Brawl Zeus Bandwagon-Rider
Roy's side B may need some adjusting. I watched a set in bracket last night in which a Roy just did the first 2 hits of side b over, and over, and over to a Captain Falcon and won...there was no skill...it was no fun to watch...Roy just took advantage of Captain Falcon's fast falling and spammed that at any percent. The knock back growth should be in creased on the 2nd hit, or side b should have more lag when it ends on the 2nd hit to remove this.

Thor

Roy's side B may need some adjusting. I watched a set in bracket last night in which a Roy just did the first 2 hits of side b over, and over, and over to a Captain Falcon and won...there was no skill...it was no fun to watch...Roy just took advantage of Captain Falcon's fast falling and spammed that at any percent. The knock back growth should be in creased on the 2nd hit, or side b should have more lag when it ends on the 2nd hit to remove this.

Five words: Smash Directional Influence.

Turk Injaydii

Five words: Smash Directional Influence.

Idk if you mean to man, but you come across as very condescending. I'm not some scrub and neither was the Falcon getting beaten by the Roy. He's one of the state's best players, got 9th at KiT a couple months back. If he could've DI'd it, he would have.

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
Idk if you mean to man, but you come across as very condescending. I'm not some scrub and neither was the Falcon getting beaten by the Roy. He's one of the state's best players, got 9th at KiT a couple months back. If he could've DI'd it, he would have.
I labbed this and I made it out from Roy's second hit with Falcon with basically 0 effort. I'm surprised no one has mentioned that his 3rd upward hit true spikes...

Thor

I labbed this and I made it out from Roy's second hit with Falcon with basically 0 effort. I'm surprised no one has mentioned that his 3rd upward hit true spikes...

It... does that?

If that's the case... someone queue up an angle change please... unless we're gonna leave it like Ganondorf up+B or whatever [silly and not exactly fair, but so absurdly hard to hit relative to other options that it's left alone because there's other fish to fry].

I'll admit I wasn't trying to not be condescending here [unlike the other threads]. But I've seen people have trouble linking the move correctly [same issue with Marth's dancing blade], so to hear someone getting locked by it is... odd, to say the least. I'll try to moderate that next time, as I wasn't exactly posting with the best frame of mind [I can explain what that was but it doesn't seem relevant].

Turk Injaydii

I'll be sure to let him know that. Thanks for labbng that out. I'm not sure why he didn't DI out if it was possible; I wasn't just blowing smoke, he truly is a strong player. Which direction did you DI? I assumed it would be as simple as directly away from Roy.

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
I'll be sure to let him know that. Thanks for labbng that out. I'm not sure why he didn't DI out if it was possible; I wasn't just blowing smoke, he truly is a strong player. Which direction did you DI? I assumed it would be as simple as directly away from Roy.
I sdi'd slightly up and far away and held shield.
It... does that?

If that's the case... someone queue up an angle change please... unless we're gonna leave it like Ganondorf up+B or whatever [silly and not exactly fair, but so absurdly hard to hit relative to other options that it's left alone because there's other fish to fry].
Honestly probably this. It's only useful on the ledge and for the most part won't kill on most characters until later percents anyway because it's pretty weak, although getting the hit into dair on characters with weak recoveries like Falcon is also a thing. Basically, how good it is at KOing varies wildly from character to character. Also iirc it was a true spike in Melee. So there's that.

Last edited:

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
Yeah, I have no intention of changing the angle on his Double Edge dance finisher. It's supposed to be a good finisher in that scenario.

Junior_Z

The Blazing Star
I'm not so sure about less KBG on upthrow, since it's not like you'd be using it to combo outside of chaingrabs...but if that's the case, you would want lower BKB, I'd imagine? Anyways, upthrow is a half decent KO throw when you catch someone on platforms, i'll leave the combos to f/dthrow. Other than that I agree with Kymaera.

Thor

Minus.spike

Rest in peace old design choices.

Although I still only truly object to one spike, I'm not gonna go into that here.

Junior_Z

The Blazing Star
Since many people seem to agree Roy is a lower-tier character, let me throw out a few ideas for potential buffs.
  • Less endlag on ftilt, projectile moves faster. This would give Roy a semi projectile that he could space with to help his lackluster neutral.
  • Higher angle, less KBG on sour dtilt. Dtilt is an amazing tool already, but can be DI'd into the ground to prevent true followups, and at high percent the opponent goes past Roy. I normally wouldn't care about inmproving already great moves but Dtilt has traditionally been one of if not the most useful move in his arsenal, so having it be bRoKeN seems fitting for a game such as this.
  • Less KBG on utilt. It serves its purpose as a low % combo tool well enough, so this change would primarily be to give Roy better followups that aren't just upair at mid percent off of it.
  • Give sour dair a bigger hitbox. This sounds weird, but sour Dair is an amazing combo tool onstage. Only problem is that the sweetspot hitbox is so large it can be difficult to intentionally get it.
  • Increase KBG on UpB. It's a poor damage dealer and does not kill until absurd percents. Let's give it some use, shall we?
  • Increase KBG on Jab. Hardly necessary, but a nice, subtle buff.
Again, I'm not asking for all/any of these to be implemented necessarily. If you ever feel the need to buff the boy, though, these are some ideas for how to do it.

Kymaera K1ng

A PMCC player
I'm not so sure about less KBG on upthrow, since it's not like you'd be using it to combo outside of chaingrabs...but if that's the case, you would want lower BKB, I'd imagine? Anyways, upthrow is a half decent KO throw when you catch someone on platforms, i'll leave the combos to f/dthrow. Other than that I agree with Kymaera.
I'd like it since his throw combos are somewhat limited ant higer percents. Also UThrow -> DAir might become a thing...
Since many people seem to agree Roy is a lower-tier character, let me throw out a few ideas for potential buffs.
  • Less endlag on ftilt, projectile moves faster. This would give Roy a semi projectile that he could space with to help his lackluster neutral.
If the flames moved farther, that would be nice too.