Organized Community Tier List

Brawl Minus VS

Alright, I'm trying to establish a community tier list for Brawl Minus in a simple, efficient way. The more results we get, the more precise we can be in making this list. For now, please fill out this form. Overall, it shouldn't take more than maybe 5 minutes.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScblafx5h5swsprVb9Xnr60zZhbOJFmMG0q7QfSatB8CPxacw/viewform

We all know the characters are good, but you need to think about how good they are COMPARATIVELY. Hence why I put some characters all the way down in 1's and 2's. Try to disperse your opinions. Having someone in 10 - 8 is ABOVE AVERAGE, 7 - 4 is AVERAGE, and 3 - 1 is BELOW AVERAGE. Or, thanks to Bent 00 , we now have this handy grading system here:

10 - OP. Consider Nerfs.
9 - Excellent. Maybe a little OP.
8 - Great. No more buffs needed.
7 - Very Good, but not great.
6 - Good and Balanced; Not too strong or too weak.
5 - Decent, but nothing special.
4 - Lacking. Not up to Minus Standard.
3 - Needs help. Too weak against stronger characters.
2 - Ice Climbers Tier.
1 - vBrawl Tier.

Please feel free to discuss below if you feel the need to.

Last edited:

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
As the guy who made the last 2 community tier lists tthis is cool. However, you should use letters instead of numbers. Giving a character a numerical score is much easier than putting them in an alphabetical tier. Source: instead of completing the survey I noped out because it's too hard to put people in 10 completely arbitrary alphabetical tiers.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Alright, I'm trying to establish a community tier list for Brawl Minus in a simple, efficient way [...] Also, remember this is a Smash 4 tier list.

However, you should use letters instead of numbers. Giving a character a numerical score is much easier than putting them in an alphabetical tier. Source: instead of completing the survey I noped out because it's too hard to put people in 10 completely arbitrary alphabetical tiers.

Brawl Minus VS

However, you should use letters instead of numbers.

... You sure you got that right?

Anyway, yeah, I suppose I could change it to a numerically-based grading system. So far people haven't really comprehended the Smash 4 style tier list, so using numbers could help. Good thinking, Neville.

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
... You sure you got that right?

Anyway, yeah, I suppose I could change it to a numerically-based grading system. So far people haven't really comprehended the Smash 4 style tier list, so using numbers could help. Good thinking, Neville.
Mfw I'm retarded. Anyways numerical systems are easier to wrap your head around.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Done. Here's the Metric I judged by:

10 - OP. Consider Nerfs.
9 - Excellent. Maybe a little OP.
8 - Great. No more buffs needed.
7 - Very Good, but not great.
6 - Good and Balanced; Not too strong or too weak.
5 - Decent, but nothing special.
4 - Lacking. Not up to Minus Standard.
3 - Needs help. Too weak against stronger characters.
2 - Ice Climbers Tier.
1 - vBrawl Tier.

You should post a link to this survey on www.reddit.com/r/Minusery -- and www.reddit.com/r/BrawlMinus too, if you want.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
As someone who doesn't exactly DO reddit, would someone else mind doing it?
No problem. It is done! I hope this helps get you more voting data.

n1fxV17.jpg

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Is there a way I can see the current voting results? I could see them after voting, but I'm curious to see how they've changed.

Brawl Minus VS

Is there a way I can see the current voting results? I could see them after voting, but I'm curious to see how they've changed.

Here's the data table. Unfortunately, I can't display the pie charts like on the responses, but I can show all the various scores assigned.

Once I get, say, 20 responses, I'll start taking the average score so we can start ranking characters.

Dusk

Equals Trash
Playtester
The main issue I'm already seeing is alot of people are underestimating/overestimating the positions of alot of characters. Also I don't know if my votes weren't taken into consideration but the way I voted was S-above avg(S tier) A-slightly above avg(A+ tier) B-avg(A tier) C-slightly below avg(A- tier) D- below avg(B+ tier) I don't think there's alot of drastic disadvantages and I think alot of people just haven't seen what a character can truely do. Also I don't think you mentioned whether we should consider if playing on wii wifi, on dolphin lag, offline, or potential of character when we vote.

TL;DR: I think characters are closer then they seem. Not sure if you mentioned if we should take lag or not into consideration and if voting for best/worst possible outcome of chararacters.

Brawl Minus VS

The main issue I'm already seeing is alot of people are underestimating/overestimating the positions of alot of characters. Also I don't know if my votes weren't taken into consideration but the way I voted was S-above avg(S tier) A-slightly above avg(A+ tier) B-avg(A tier) C-slightly below avg(A- tier) D- below avg(B+ tier) I don't think there's alot of drastic disadvantages and I think alot of people just haven't seen what a character can truely do. Also I don't think you mentioned whether we should consider if playing on wii wifi, on dolphin lag, offline, or potential of character when we vote.

TL;DR: I think characters are closer then they seem. Not sure if you mentioned if we should take lag or not into consideration and if voting for best/worst possible outcome of chararacters.

For now, let's simply focus on overall opinion of the character. Frankly, the closer the overall scores are, the better. Just goes to show that the character roster's pretty balanced. Once we start gathering and interpreting data, we can then go in and start analyzing it. If there appear to be any overall discrepancies, I'll let you know.

Also, yeah, you're votes were taken down. Sorry about that, but Longbottom asked us to change to a number-based grading system, which forced me to nullify any previous responses. If you could do me a favor and fill out a form again, that'd be great. Thanks for your time, Dusk!

Dusk

Equals Trash
Playtester
Also, yeah, you're votes were taken down. Sorry about that, but Longbottom asked us to change to a number-based grading system, which forced me to nullify any previous responses. If you could do me a favor and fill out a form again, that'd be great. Thanks for your time, Dusk!
Nah it's fine I'll refrain from voting because it's a sm4sh based tier list and lacking knowledge on the game I lack knowledge on their tier lists so I wouldn't know how to vote properly. Also I feel like there should be no character below a 6 or 7 so my results would skew the rest regardless thanks for doing this.

Brawl Minus VS

Nah it's fine I'll refrain from voting because it's a sm4sh based tier list and lacking knowledge on the game I lack knowledge on their tier lists so I wouldn't know how to vote properly. Also I feel like there should be no character below a 6 or 7 so my results would skew the rest regardless thanks for doing this.

S'all good. Whatever you think is best.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
I keep seeing people say "SM4SH-based" tier lists... Is that a thing? How is a SM4SH-style Tier List any different from a Tier List for other Smash games? Excuse me if I'm just behind the times, but I thought that a tier list is a tier list no matter how you slice it.

We probably should have established an official metric for people to judge by. I like the one I posted, but it's completely optional to use... People could be voting with 5 or 6 as "Medium" / "Balanced", or they could be using a school-style system, where 7(0) and above is passing, while 6(0) and below is failing. Lesson learned for next time, I guess?

Also, Brawl Minus VS: Would you mind putting that clip in your signature behind a SPOILER or something? It's pretty big, and in topics that you have posted in a few times (like this one) those clips take up a lot of page space.

Last edited:

Farkus

Retired
Yeah, the lowest score I gave was a 5. I basically did this
10=S
9=A
8=B+
7=C
6=D
5=F

and that was the lowest I went.

Brawl Minus VS

I keep seeing people say "SM4SH-based" tier lists... Is that a thing? How is a SM4SH-style Tier List any different from a Tier List for other Smash games? Excuse me if I'm just behind the times, but I thought that a tier list is a tier list no matter how you slice it.

We probably should have established an official metric for people to judge by. I like the one I posted, but it's completely optional to use... People could be voting with 5 or 6 as "Medium" / "Balanced", or they could be using a school-style system, where 7(0) and above is passing, while 6(0) and below is failing. Lesson learned for next time, I guess?

Also, Brawl Minus VS: Would you mind putting that clip in your signature behind a SPOILER or something? It's pretty big, and in topics that you have posted in a few times (like this one) those clips take up a lot of page space.

To answer your question, the original Reddit Smash 4 tier list was an S through J-based tier list, having a whopping 11 different categories. Which, when you look at what we do already isn't THAT different. Instead we just add a bunch of S's or +'s and -'s. They made it easy and just assigned everything it's own letter instead of adding more stuff. That being said, our number-based system seems to have really simplified things.

I do like you're numerical grading system as well, and will likely add it to the original post.

Lastly, yeah, I totally forgot I could put a signature in a spoiler. It is kinda big. Thanks for all the help, Bent.