Olimar

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
Being the character with several different iterations over the years, and with little success at one that is balanced and fun to play, what do you guys think he needs to really shine in minus? What kind of ideas does everyone have to help improve him for the better? Be it move ideas, strategies, or anything you can come up with.

Olimar is pretty much the only one left that isn't really solid as a character, so I come to you all to see what could brew in your minds!

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
I think being able to tilt the fsmash attack would be useful, if he can't already. . Personally I liked his old side b, but maybe if being able to aim his side smash doesn't seem to work out, then his old side b could replace a tilt side smash attack? Side b's recovery would still be usable while getting to bring back the pikmin lob throw would be possible :) also, the down b should apply gravity on the people it hits... I really have no idea if any of this already is in the game as I've never used down b next to airborne foes or tried to tilt a side smash, but it sounds like it could work, and may help a lot

NEWB

Olimar is an amazing character that gets pretty unique combos. I'm surprised anyone thinks he is bad.

And his old side b, while functions how it does in his games, is useless in a fighting game. They racked up damage, but the opponent was still free to hit you. There are better and safer ways to rack up damage with him since he combos easy. His old side b sponged projectiles, but so does his new side smash. His new ftilt is used to finish a ground combo or hit people that allowed themselves to hit the ground while in tumble.

I suggest experimenting with him further or playing me even. I was able to show glyph how frightening he could be if used by a better player. Though to be fair, olimar counters rob really well.

olimar's playstyle can become redundant and kind of boring, but he's not bad at all.

ice climbing is the one noticeably weak option on the css. that's for another thread though.

Sammi-husky

Scientist #1
Minus Backroom
NEWB said:
Olimar is an amazing character that gets pretty unique combos. I'm surprised anyone thinks he is bad.

And his old side b, while functions how it does in his games, is useless in a fighting game. They racked up damage, but the opponent was still free to hit you. There are better and safer ways to rack up damage with him since he combos easy. His old side b sponged projectiles, but so does his new side smash. His new ftilt is used to finish a ground combo or hit people that allowed themselves to hit the ground while in tumble.

I suggest experimenting with him further or playing me even. I was able to show glyph how frightening he could be if used by a better player. Though to be fair, olimar counters rob really well.

Newb, it's not that Olimar is bad. The fact is, that he is generally uninteresting, has a very shallow depth in his playstyle, and very few mixups. Currently he's more 'f-smash the character incarnate' Then anything else. It's just genrally un-interesting to play as or against IMO

NEWB

There is truth there, but once oil gets his hands on you, you die. He doesn't have to fsmash spam either, his dtilt has good range, jabs are deceiptively good, and has a good a decent grab. His upb is also good at out ranging people. A good oli wouldn't spam fsmash,,even if he can just grab back lost pikmin with pluck. He also has the most interesting combo to me: his bair true combos with freaking dair o_O.

It sucks if people don't like playing against him, but he is very fun to play as IMO.

Tybis

Resident Minusaur
Minus Backroom
NEWB said:
And his old side b, while functions how it does in his games, is useless in a fighting game. They racked up damage, but the opponent was still free to hit you.
How is dealing damage to your opponent useless? And you're supposed to use it long-range so you don't get punished. It forces your opponent to either confront you or brush off the Pikmin. Besides that, the move is really at its best when you have a purple or two, then it has the potential to be a really, really good poke.

THAT SIDEB ACTION

NEWB

Still not worth replacing any of his moves IMO opinion. They all work so very well.

But if anything, it would be his ftilt because it is used less.

Tybis

Resident Minusaur
Minus Backroom
NEWB said:
Still not worth replacing any of his moves IMO opinion. They all work so very well.

But if anything, it would be his ftilt because it is used less.

If it replaced a grounded move, then it would be redundant, as you could just use Fsmash at that point. What makes this move good is how maneuverable it is, with Fsmash's long-range power, and you can only get that if you can use it in the air.

NEWB said:
Actually, holding b would throw a pikmin and tapping would pluck them perhaps?

Wouldn't really work since Pikmin Pluck is literally instant.