No Sympathy Ike Charge Mechanics

How should Ike's No Sympathy mode gain charge?

• Build damage with all attacks. Damage dealt is equal to charge points gained.

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Build damage by using SWORD ATTACKS only. Damage dealt is equal to charge points gained.

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Build damage by using SPECIALS only. Damage dealt is equal to charge points gained with the exceptio

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Leave it alone!

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
So it's been talked about a lot amongst us. People want Ike's Eruption/NS mode to charge differently. I see a few ways it can happen, and I believe that each of these could work well.

Option 1- All damage dealt increases charge level. This allows Ike to fight normally, and be rewarded for simply hitting his opponent as he normally would. I feel like this is too easy...

Option 2- Damage from SWORD ATTACKS only. This isn't much different from the first. But instead, he simply won't gain damage unless the attack is sword based. As the sword is what gets NS Empowered, it makes sense.

Option 3- Damage from Specials only. The difference here is that most Ike users don't rely on using Specials. I find that using them creatively in combos is proper justification for being rewarded. However, trying to abuse them will still get you punished so it wouldn't be something to just spam. Seeing also that Specials get the most notable changes in NS mode (huge dmg buff on Eruption and QD, Aether healing, and the notorious NS Counter) This is the one I'd personally prefer.

Option 4- You like it as is. Waiting is Okay by you.

I personally feel like if option 3 is chosen, that NS attacks shouldn't deal as much self damage to Ike as he now has to work for his buffs.

Tybis

Resident Minusaur
Minus Backroom
I'm between 2 and 3. I like the idea of only sword attacks charging NS, but think that certain attacks should give you an extra boost towards it. Option 3 is a bit too limiting, as Up and Down special spam would be annoying to BOTH players. I think Option 2 is the best, but Eruption feels like it could give Ike more points than it does in damage.

Ph0x3h

I'm for leaving it be. Do people really not have enough time to charge it? I mean, get a good hit in and you should have enough time as they recover to charge it up right? I've never had a problem with it.

However, I think you should be able to cancel it into a taunt haha. CHARGECHARGECHARGECHARGE I FIGHT FOR MY FRIENDS

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
Ph0x3h said:
I'm for leaving it be. Do people really not have enough time to charge it? I mean, get a good hit in and you should have enough time as they recover to charge it up right? I've never had a problem with it.

However, I think you should be able to cancel it into a taunt haha. CHARGECHARGECHARGECHARGE I FIGHT FOR MY FRIENDS

I just think of it as a way to make Ike more unique. Speaking of taunts, I'll post something about that later.

NEWB

I say leave as is. I will say that sometimes, it takes a longer amount of time to charge NS then usual. I haven't figured out why, but it has happened to me several times. If this is an issue, then normalize the charge time and it's fine. NS counter is stupid IMO and should either be removed or cause Ike more damage. The less we see of it the better.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
NEWB said:
I say leave as is. I will say that sometimes, it takes a longer amount of time to charge NS then usual. I haven't figured out why, but it has happened to me several times. If this is an issue, then normalize the charge time and it's fine. NS counter is stupid IMO and should either be removed or cause Ike more damage. The less we see of it the better.

The fact that every sword attack damages him already more than makes up for the free stock that a NS counter allows him to get.

NEWB

How about it takes more time to charge NS beyond 100 percent or something? When at lethal damage, NS buffs Ike insanely and has little drawback. Of course, he only has just enough time to get NS when he kills someone.

Maybe counter eruption won't work beyond 100-120 percent? That should be reasonable.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
NEWB said:
How about it takes more time to charge NS beyond 100 percent or something? When at lethal damage, NS buffs Ike insanely and has little drawback. Of course, he only has just enough time to get NS when he kills someone.

Maybe counter eruption won't work beyond 100-120 percent? That should be reasonable.

I don't think Counter Eruption needs to be limited or toned down really. It's been like a Minus Ike staple for as long as I can remember. (didn't start til 2.X so excuse me) I think it already deals him like 20 or 30 damage on release.

NEWB

We just went over how at high percent, lucario was broken because he could use the ultra taunt at already kill able percent to become stronger but not much more kill able. The same is true with Ike NS mode. A little less true granted, but counter eruption kills at low percents and is easy to land. And 20 percent damage is a slap on the wrist at best, since two aethers heal that up. Eruption doesn't even give him knockback. Does 20 damage really balance out for that? Did the twenty damage take into account the ability to store a full charged eruption and the ability to true combo with counter? Eruption has been buffed since vbrawl, but it hasn't received appropriate drawback in minus. I would be okay with it if he took 30 damage.

Ph0x3h

NEWB said:

I know this sounds really unintelligent, but it's just 6 "whooshes" until you can shield cancel the charge. The exception? When you begin using it in the air, and land on the ground, it starts the counter from zero as if you had just started charging. I noticed the same thing you have, investigated and I've come to the conclusion that, that is indeed what it is. So when you start charging, take the time to be on the ground first.