Minus Winter Snowball Brawl Results and Feedback Thread!

Should the next tournament be on Wii/Wifi or Dolphin/Netplay?

• I'm a wifi kind of guy!

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Netplay is the best way!

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Hey man both work for me.

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
Just like last time, here's a breakdown of the results!

OUR WINNERS:
1ST: THOR (Falco, Link, Falcon, Ganondorf, Luigi)
2ND: MEGASATURN99 (Peach, ZSS)
3RD: DARXMARX (Kirby, Falco, Mario)

SURPRISE ANNOUNCEMENT: IMPROVED NETPLAY BUILD COMING TOMORROW!

Should the next tournament be on Wifi once more, or should we switch over to Netplay with the improved build? Vote on the poll to decide your fate!

Highlight Reel:
If you want to see the whole tournament, watch it here!

Last edited:

Darxmarx

The Learning Star Warrior
GGs everyone! I hope everyone had at least a little bit of fun with his or her matches.
Also, I'd like to clarify that I picked Falco on accident. I didn't realize that the set wasn't over at the time, so I ended up getting random as a character, and it gave me Falco.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Netplay is PC-only, right? My PC isn't powerful enough to run GC or Wii games, so it's WiFi or nothing for me.

Thor

Just like last time, here's a breakdown of the results!

OUR WINNERS:
1ST: THOR (Falco, Link, Falcon, Ganondorf, Luigi)
2ND: MEGASATURN99 (Peach, ZSS)
3RD: DARXMARX (Kirby, Falco, Mario)

SURPRISE ANNOUNCEMENT: IMPROVED NETPLAY BUILD COMING TOMORROW!

Should the next tournament be on Wifi once more, or should we switch over to Netplay with the improved build? Vote on the poll to decide your fate!

I voted, but I doubt I'm able to participate, given how college and dorm Wi-Fi work. I voted for Wii because I don't have Netplay and feel I should vote to show where I stand, but if the vote's tied, note that of people who have a non-trivial chance of playing, Netplay is actually winning.

Also, I played [if you want the whole list] (with game counts, I went back and counted) Captain Falcon (11), Link, Falco (5 each), Fox (4), Luigi (3), Ganondorf (2), and Pikachu (1). That said, this order may not reflect utility... Falco got me through grand finals, but Link got me through grands [partially] and Loser's Semis, while Luigi was my only good answer [that I found] to Darx's Kirby... I played Falcon a lot of the time when I wasn't really sure who to pick, since I figured I could just try to combo people harder than I get combo'd, and it mostly worked out. [These totals don't reflect games played with BC.] Win rates were 8-3, 4-1, 3-2, 2-2, 2-1, 2-0, and 0-1 for each character in order [note that two of the bracket matches are in challonge with the wrong score... Grand Finals set 1 was a 3-0, while Loser's Semis was a 3-2.]

It's worth noting that though he got 5th, owo played very well. I double-eliminated him, but the sets were 2-1 and 3-1, and all three games of the winner's side set was close, while people saw it was only 3-1 because of a rather silly comeback game 4. If we're making power rankings or whatever, give him the benefit of the doubt - he is very very good [he doesn't like the ditto, which works against him... and he seemed unused to Falcon-Falco, which I definitely exploited.]

Momurderer

Bazooka Koopa
Hey yall I watched the stream and hats off to all of you. There's a sever lack of good players in my neck of the woods, training my wife isn't going so well... DI or die I tell her, geeps. 2scoops and that Lucario where a nice surprise and congrats to Thor. I think that Olimar you fought could've done a lot better job at keeping the Pikmin wall going but Thor handled it with some grace. I'm still in practice mode and finally might have my wifi set up so hopefully I can hook up for some matches soon and get learned. Awesome tournament and hope they keep going and get bigger.

Thor

Hey yall I watched the stream and hats off to all of you. There's a sever lack of good players in my neck of the woods, training my wife isn't going so well... DI or die I tell her, geeps. 2scoops and that Lucario where a nice surprise and congrats to Thor. I think that Olimar you fought could've done a lot better job at keeping the Pikmin wall going but Thor handled it with some grace. I'm still in practice mode and finally might have my wifi set up so hopefully I can hook up for some matches soon and get learned. Awesome tournament and hope they keep going and get bigger.

I'be literally never fought a Zelda OR Olimar in that much lag before, so suffice to say navigating the wall is not easy in that lag. There is a reason I went Link and used a lot of zair (beats pikmin and can'take be reflected).

But thank you.

Omuk

Anther's Ladder name: Omuk
Man. I was really hyped for the tournament but then lag hit hard. But no johns amiright
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Mariosonicman1

i liked the aerial warlock punch part of that tournament, with how some people said no one would ever use it during a tourney match, and here it is used in a tourney match.

666DAMAGE

"SIX SIX SIX DAMAAAAGE!!"
GGs everyone! I hope everyone had at least a little bit of fun with his or her matches.
Also, I'd like to clarify that I picked Falco on accident. I didn't realize that the set wasn't over at the time, so I ended up getting random as a character, and it gave me Falco.
You have the best signature by the way.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
i liked the aerial warlock punch part of that tournament, with how some people said no one would ever use it during a tourney match, and here it is used in a tourney match.
REnYeGi.png
I never said it wasn't usable at all in a serious setting; I said that no one should ever use aerial Warlock Punch (as-is) leaping off the stage, since that's at least 95% suicidal, even with the on-hit Cancel.

What Thor did was very impressive (and stylish), but that kind of aerial Warlock Punch is only possible to do while recovering from getting knocked very high up. Ganondorf cannot do a "Safe" aerial Warlock Punch without help like that (on a normal stage, at least).

Pin's remark in the chat -- "now THAT is a SAFE FLYING WARLOCK PUNCH" (yes, I saw it) -- is only semi-accurate; it is safe (read: not suicidal), but only from very high up, which Ganondorf cannot reach normally. As for the "flying" part, Ganondorf is "falling" more than "flying". I would define "flying" in this scenario as having started up the move before 'Dorf reaches the apex of a jump.

My arguments advocated for a Warlock Punch that Ganondorf could perform from a running leap offstage, without fear of suiciding, even if he missed landing the Punch (which he almost always will).

That said, let's not talk about it any further.

TL, DNR version: The kind of flying Warlock Punch that Thor performed is not the same kind that I advocated for. I would call what he did a "Falling" Warlock Punch, not a "Flying" one.

I don't get why 'Dorf can't have a momentum "pause" on aerial WP like Falcon has on aerial FP, or why 'Dorf can't have a taunt-switched Neutral Special like Falco has.

I wonder if 'Dorf would benefit from having his Gravity/Weight/Fall Speed/etc. reduced, being made more "floaty"...

Last edited:

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
*notices Highlight Reel*

Oh, cool, I made it into the Highlight Reel. :)

I think Thor stole the show, though!

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
Pin's remark in the chat -- "now THAT is a SAFE FLYING WARLOCK PUNCH" (yes, I saw it) -- is only semi-accurate; it is safe (read: not suicidal), but only from very high up, which Ganondorf cannot reach normally. As for the "flying" part, Ganondorf is "falling" more than "flying". I would define "flying" in this scenario as having started up the move before 'Dorf reaches the apex of a jump.
Could have just said

Last edited:

Thor

Tbh, although we're not supposed to bring it up [so this is only directed at Bent_00 , but others can read it]...

I know you have taunt switches for punch power, but do you have taunt switches for the projectile or not? That is, it starts out as the OHKO, and it has the brief momentum stall you added, but you can taunt switch to only the projectile (with no momentum stall, it doesn't need it)? That would allow SFWP, but you KNOW the punch is coming or isn't - there is no ambiguity. It would also clean up fears about the projectile being a "gotcha!", since it would always happen or never happen. It would definitely be a move that's far less respected [or far more, when the projectile is there], but it might be a more palatable design for some.

For what's it worth, I used the move because A) Wi-Fi isn't lagless, so there was a chance for something silly [and it was silly], B) I was way down and had been launched, and it's hard to land vs ZSS sometimes anyway, so throwing it out often makes people give you space and punish endlag, aka I could at least reach the ground again, and C) I was likely to die if hit anyway, but if he whiffed, the projectile portion would help chase even if he was out of range for a punish after his attempt to launch me [he wasn't, but it sometimes works out like that, since ZSS momentum from down+b can be odd sometimes].

If someone showed me the launch while it was paused and asked me how they should land, Warlock Punch would NOT be optimal [very low on my list of ways to land], but it was streamed and I was down almost a full stock, so I just threw it out there and it hit. *shrugs* At least it looked cool!