Minus 4.0BC Tier list

Brawl Minus VS

I'd probably put him close to A-, but that's just me. While it's true, he does has a very nice neutral and approach game, some would argue that his air game is only okay. Plus the fact that his smash attacks are a bit different, being primarily two-hit moves, which can be either good or bad depending on your timing. His air game is okay, but I wouldn't say it's "insane". That being said, I'd love to see someone prove me wrong!

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
Am I the only one who thinks that Roy is A+ - A for his absurd neutral and his ability to stuff a bunch of approaching options due to being a swordie. Also he has insane aerial mobility because of side B the only think you have to learn to do is save your jumps so avoid djs for the most part so you could use your jump offstage to not have such a wonkie side b.

Edit: Also didn't point out with the ability to buffer dash out of an aerial it gives him a little extra oomph in terms of mobility
No you aren't I think Roy has one of the best neutral games in Minus.

Farkus

Retired
Am I the only one who thinks that Roy is A+ - A for his absurd neutral and his ability to stuff a bunch of approaching options due to being a swordie. Also he has insane aerial mobility because of side B the only think you have to learn to do is save your jumps so avoid djs for the most part so you could use your jump offstage to not have such a wonkie side b.

Edit: Also didn't point out with the ability to buffer dash out of an aerial it gives him a little extra oomph in terms of mobility

Roy is held back because of his poor approach options and poor stuffing options on approaches as well as having one of the worst recoveries in the game. But please keep in mind (this is VERY important). When I say poor, i mean for Minus standards. Any one of these characters would thrash the top tiers of any other game, but in this game as the character abilities go up, what is expected goes up. Roy would be top tier in any other game, but in this one, he just doesn't stack up.

Dusk

Equals Trash
Playtester
Roy is held back because of his poor approach options and poor stuffing options on approaches as well as having one of the worst recoveries in the game. But please keep in mind (this is VERY important). When I say poor, i mean for Minus standards. Any one of these characters would thrash the top tiers of any other game, but in this game as the character abilities go up, what is expected goes up. Roy would be top tier in any other game, but in this one, he just doesn't stack up.
Sorry but I completely disagree. He has one of the best approaching tools with side into FF aerial because it gives you reduced landing lag. Speaking of his aerials they all are disjoints and are out for a pretty significant amount of time so I don't understand where you get the idea that they're poor stuffing tools for minus standards when they're easily on the better end of the spectrum. Also you say his recovery is the worst in the game but his vertical is pretty much falco's up b without the extra boost falco gets. Also he has his side b to help with it

My Man

Sorry but I completely disagree. He has one of the best approaching tools with side into FF aerial because it gives you reduced landing lag. Speaking of his aerials they all are disjoints and are out for a pretty significant amount of time so I don't understand where you get the idea that they're poor stuffing tools for minus standards when they're easily on the better end of the spectrum. Also you say his recovery is the worst in the game but his vertical is pretty much falco's up b without the extra boost falco gets. Also he has his side b to help with it

Agreed. I love playing Roy. Granted, I've never fought many people that are too good at Brawl minus to say where he stands on a tier list, but he's definitely a good character and his recover is better than some other characters (squirtle, link, fox to name a few)

Farkus

Retired
Agreed. I love playing Roy. Granted, I've never fought many people that are too good at Brawl minus to say where he stands on a tier list, but he's definitely a good character and his recover is better than some other characters (squirtle, link, fox to name a few)

Fox's recovery is actually one of the best in the game with the ability to cancel side b into anything including up b or jump to another side b, plus he can wall jump out of up b allowing him to recover massive distances with a lot of options. Squirtle's and Link's recovery go about as far as Roy's true, but Roy's has a bad hitbox on the end that makes it easy for him to be ledge hogged, even with the extremley small amount of ledge invincibility.

The fire fart that he can do to approach is nice, but it is extremely linear and only works against people who are new to it. While his ariels are disjointed, his ariel drift is too poor to escape a burst option if the opponent spaces correctly making it unsafe to zone with.

Kymaera K1ng

A PMCC player
Alright, alright... that system for the tier list was pretty shit. Here's a better one. =P

Better%20Minus%204.0BC%20Tier%20List_zpslhmgsii9.png
Yo Roy is way too low to tho
The buffs mattered

BC

Momentum Based Player
Playtester
I know... I was working on another update. This is as close to balanced as I can get without seeing character input from certain characters. I apologize if people still get mad at my choices. Just try to remember that this is just my opinion, which can always change. No character is bad, by any means. Some characters just don't have as many tools as the rest of the cast.

Minus%204.0BC%20Tier%20List%20Update_zpsdlavea2z.png

Brawl Minus VS

I know... I was working on another update. This is as close to balanced as I can get without seeing character input from certain characters. I apologize if people still get mad at my choices. Just try to remember that this is just my opinion, which can always change. No character is bad, by any means. Some characters just don't have as many tools as the rest of the cast.

Minus%204.0BC%20Tier%20List%20Update_zpsdlavea2z.png

Overall, it looks pretty good. Thank you for not putting my mains at the lowest tier, but the SECOND lowest. :D

BC

Momentum Based Player
Playtester
BC: Why do you think Link is tied with the Ice Climbers as Worst Character in the Game?
I don't think he is the worst in the game. I don't think anyone is worst in the game, honestly. I just believe that next to the ICs, Link doesn't have as many great options as the rest of the cast. It's as simple as that. The whole list is based off of that mentality. Everyone is good, some just have better options than the others.

Farkus

Retired
I don't think he is the worst in the game. I don't think anyone is worst in the game, honestly. I just believe that next to the ICs, Link doesn't have as many great options as the rest of the cast. It's as simple as that. The whole list is based off of that mentality. Everyone is good, some just have better options than the others.

That would still make them the worst in the game, it just means that they're not necessarily bad.

?0123456789?

No offense dude but I don't think you know how to play Link very well at all. In fact, even after the bomb nerf in the latest update, I think he is still easily in the top 10 best characters. His small arsenal of weapons combined with his sword attacks give him some of the best coverage seen in this game. For starters, his jab combo is insanely quick and has a lot of knockback for getting people out of your face, and his UpB has insane kill potential when used on the ground (great for when people are approaching) or as a follow-up in the air. His boomerang is a nightmare for characters without a reflect move, and his bombs/deku nuts still pack one hell of a punch. If you know how to play Link right, he has game against nearly every character.

BC

Momentum Based Player
Playtester
No offense dude but I don't think you know how to play Link very well at all. In fact, even after the bomb nerf in the latest update, I think he is still easily in the top 10 best characters. His small arsenal of weapons combined with his sword attacks give him some of the best coverage seen in this game. For starters, his jab combo is insanely quick and has a lot of knockback for getting people out of your face, and his UpB has insane kill potential when used on the ground (great for when people are approaching) or as a follow-up in the air. His boomerang is a nightmare for characters without a reflect move, and his bombs/deku nuts still pack one hell of a punch. If you know how to play Link right, he has game against nearly every character.
I get why you would assume that, but I assure you, I know my way around Link. Everything you have said is true, Link does have a decent game against most of the cast. But, that's just it. He merely has okay matchups for the majority of the cast, with a few bad matchups(spacies, Pit, Mario, Dedede), and a some good ones(most slow characters). He's a great character. Just... not as good as everyone else. That's all.

Thor

He's got slow up close options and kinda laggy aerials.

Reminds me of Melee Link if Melee Link were in a game where everyone was on Melee Fox level. He's... okay... likely not top 10.

I also don't know how bad his bad MUs actually are... I'd just have to guess. Gmae isn't well-optimized [not even close] and it's not sure if there are critical flaws we're missing... Link might actually be the best in the game, but on paper from what we know right now, Fox/Falco/DDD and several others are all just better.

Dusk

Equals Trash
Playtester
I know
But now he can chain grab
And fthrow up smash is super good
And blazer kills
People just don't understand

Blazer always was a kill option especially on halberd it was really noticeable due to the low ceiling but not its more guaranteed for whatever reason. Idc about chain grabbing he doesn't need it due to his fun aggro-hyper aggro style. In terms of placement on a tierlist I would put him pretty close to marth and theyd probably be in the 10-20 range. That's just me though a pleb who plays GnW too win ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Brawl Minus VS

In a world of ridiculously overpowered characters, some just aren't AS overpowered as others. That doesn't mean they aren't great, they just aren't AS great. So, yeah, while Link is certainly a great character by vBrawl standards, you need to remember that since 3 of his 4 specials are projectiles, they can be reflected / shielded, potentially putting Link more at risk than his opponent. Most of his Smash attacks are somewhat slow, his running speed is only average, if not lower, and he's overall just kinda slow. When looking at characters who can auto-cancel moves, set up nice combos, and so on, Link's just somewhat behind in the tier list. If you look at Toon Link, they compliment themselves very well. Toon Link set's up traps, hit's with a barrage of light attacks, and performs combos. Link, on the other hand, is more of a heavy-hitting character, being able to kill early with a grounded Up-B, hitting a couple good arrows, etc. That being said, a large part of Minus is the combo game, an aspect that Link is trailing in. Again, I'm not saying he's bad, I'm just saying he's not as good as the characters higher up on the tier list than him.

Farkus

Retired
In a world of ridiculously overpowered characters, some just aren't AS overpowered as others. That doesn't mean they aren't great, they just aren't AS great. So, yeah, while Link is certainly a great character by vBrawl standards, you need to remember that since 3 of his 4 specials are projectiles, they can be reflected / shielded, potentially putting Link more at risk than his opponent. Most of his Smash attacks are somewhat slow, his running speed is only average, if not lower, and he's overall just kinda slow. When looking at characters who can auto-cancel moves, set up nice combos, and so on, Link's just somewhat behind in the tier list. If you look at Toon Link, they compliment themselves very well. Toon Link set's up traps, hit's with a barrage of light attacks, and performs combos. Link, on the other hand, is more of a heavy-hitting character, being able to kill early with a grounded Up-B, hitting a couple good arrows, etc. That being said, a large part of Minus is the combo game, an aspect that Link is trailing in. Again, I'm not saying he's bad, I'm just saying he's not as good as the characters higher up on the tier list than him.

Exactly, he is too focused on killing, but struggles due to his poor speed and too much knock back on moves that should be for comboing.