Marth needs some buffs...or not

einsteinsci

I've started to get used to the characters in Minus, and I've found a few of them to be ridiculously overpowered, and a few of the characters seemingly left to bite the dust. Marth seems like one of them. Besides the new neutral special, all of Marth's attacks seem to be just the same as in vBrawl, particularly his recovery, as nearly every character in the rosther had a massive buff there. Playing a character that once was fast and strong but now simply can't keep up is kind of saddening. While a few characters are a ton of fun to play, like Captain Falcon and Olimar, Marth doesn't seem to have kept up.

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
Quite the contrary. You must learn all of what Marth is capable of before you can pass judgment. For example, Marth's B has attack cancels from the air, a lingering hitbox, and provides much-needed horizontal recovery. On top of that, a lot of his attacks come out lightning quick, and some of his more beneficial changes aren't immediately known. Angling his fsmash up or down grants his a short bit of movement forward or back, extending the range of the attack. Dancing Blade was given some extra oomph as well. His aerial juggle game is equally powerful when you keep your opponent going with uair.

Take it from someone who has mastered Marth in minus. He's a great deal stronger than you give him credit for.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
The only thing I don't like about Marth is how he can only do the first part of Dancing Blade while in the air.

He should be able to combo into the next parts just like he can on the ground, IMO.

Gold_TSG

I disagree. Leaving it at one hit gives it different purpose, and doesn't lock him into the rest of the combo if you're a millisecond too quick on an attempt to recover offstage. It's quick and at early %s it combos better into fair than a double fair, and into dair spikes in certain situations.

NEWB

Also, that change was implemented because marth's 3rd hit of dancing blade angled down spikes. It was far too good at spiking foes and they wanted to keep it in when he used it on the ground.

His air sideb as is was tricky to get used to but it is good. Try sideb, footstool, dair :). I did that to someone a long time ago.

Gold_TSG

Not to mention, it's quicker to reverse side B in the air to turn yourself around for bair/dair shenanigans than just using bair, since the endlag is far less.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Nevermind what I said then. I don't play Marth much, so I didn't know why it was changed.

Doqtor Kirby

Resident Design Nitpicker
Minus Backroom
Marth air side-b has Melee fair physics. Makes it easier to land a Ken Combo for some people. Some people that isn't me.

You should watch some of my Marth videos to get a good feel on how good Marth is.

Greatest_Aether

Forum Reg of sorts
Side b only once in the air is a good thing. I self-destructed myself many times from doing it in the air then trying to do up b immediately to recover, only to continue the combo to my death.

Gold_TSG

Marth air side-b has Melee fair physics. Makes it easier to land a Ken Combo for some people. Some people that isn't me.

You should watch some of my Marth videos to get a good feel on how good Marth is.

He could watch mine too.

einsteinsci

Interesting. Just a couple of days ago I realized that Lucas' side-b can make you go forward (instead of back) if you hold it down. Looks like a lot of the overpoweredness of these characters is more hidden than Zelda's or Falco's.