Luigi's Problematic Alt Costume in 4.0f

What should we do about Princess Luigi?

• Total voters

AGentleStar

Video Editor
Before I begin the thread, I must preface with this:
Welcome to the First Luigi Thread! YAAAAAY!!!
:luigi::luigi::luigi::luigi::luigi::luigi::luigi::luigi::luigi::luigi::luigi:
Now that that's out of the way, I would like to discuss Luigi's Alternate costume in Brawl Minus 4.0f. As shown in the Waluigi Trailer, Luigi was shown to have Princess Peach's dress as a potential reference to the Mario & Luigi RPG games or the Super Mario Bros. comic (I'm not sure about either as it could go either way). I don't really mind the costume all that much. If you don't find it that appealing, Bent 00 posted a thread about changing it here. However, this thread is going to be slightly different. My problem with it is it's use in tournaments.

Earlier today, I was watching KTAR 7 - JBand vs. ADHD in Brawl Singles and at the beginning of the video, I noticed the commentators were discussing whether or not custom textures should be allowed. The idea was that it could provide a disadvantage for characters like Snake who has to lay mines discreetly on the ground. It got me thinking about how the way Luigi's Alternate costume is modeled. I'm not sure if the costume was just meant as a joke, but let's assume that hypothetically it will be an official alternate costume for Luigi. The large skirt, puffed sleeves, gloves and wig make it difficult to see where Luigi's hurtbox is. Not only that, but Luigi would have a deceptive neutral-air, down-air and back-air because of how the dress overlaps itself. If someone were to pick this costume, I feel they would have a slight advantage over Luigi players that have the default costumes due to the meta being designed around Luigi's distinct hitboxes and hurtboxes in his overalls.

It's little changes in textures like Luigi's dress, or Snake's mines being visible on a stage with altered lighting, or alternate colored peanuts for Diddy Kong's Peanut Popgun that put players at unfair advantages and disadvantages. However, this is just speculation. It very well could be fixed so this is not an issue. The costume might not be included in the game at all. I'd like to see what everyone thinks of this. I posted a poll asking what you'd prefer, but please feel free to comment about any specifics on your opinion or bringing attention to things that I may have missed.

Darxmarx

The Learning Star Warrior
I feel that if any costumes become problematic in tourneys, the tournament admin could create a rule that bans them. Personally, I don't find Luigi's dresses to be that big of an issue, but I can see why some may have problems with the models' slight size increase.
Pretty sure that Luigi's dresses are gonna be in the official build, considering that Pin made some nice portraits for them (check out his artwork if you like it btw).

Last edited:

AGentleStar

Video Editor
Thanks for the feedback. I'm only speculating. From what I've seen in the Waluigi Trailer, it looks larger than his actual hurtbox. I made this thread to see what people think of this costume and if it needs adjusting.

AGentleStar

Video Editor
Okay, that's good to hear. I wasn't sure if it'd be unfixable and if the mod should be banned in tournaments.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
It was a nice try, AGentleStar. Unfortunately, anyone who doesn't like the costumes will just have to replace them manually.

That was the main reason I made the other topic: To make that process as easy as possible, for everyone. Copy & Paste a few things, done.

I plan to go back and finish that guide when I have time. But there are plenty of other things I'd rather be doing, honestly...