Lack of Depth != Lack of Power

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
I used to main our two-dimensional friend back in vBrawl and he was my wild card in Melee.
I've considered picking him up again in Minus and I have some questions:
1. Why are 3/4 of his throws uThrow?
2. Can I get some combo advice/cancels?

Baby_Sneak

1. Dthrow is da bomb. use it and abuse it.
2. Utilt, Dtilt, Nair, Bair, Dair, and Uair are awesome combo starters.

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
I've noticed that he's an aerial fighter. That parachute is fun. And he has a Dair meteor. That'll be fun.

Baby_Sneak

yea, he's my go-to fun secondary.

he can transition very wel between both. his dtilt is his best ground move as it has good range, speed, and allows for some unorthodox tech chasing. In the air, though he really is in his element though.

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
Ah dTilt, the floorboard mover, aka, Retiling the floor. I just need practice fighting skilled players with him. I've played against CPUs, who I destroy, and Kien once....who...destroyed me and proved to me that I need more training.

NEWB

As for his throws, his down one can lead to jabs, dtilt, dsmash, or if you tech chase, another throw even. As for his three up throws.... They chain with the chute at early percents.... And you can use Uair to keep them airborne or smack them with upb. I don't like the throws either.

You know that his sideb has long endlag and cancels with A moves or a double jump. Also, if you time it right and use sideb as he lands, the move will have normal endlag, allowing it to chain it with itself, though that is tricky to do, for me at least.

Other things notable are his amazing dtilt that needs no explanation, as well as his super fast utilt. His ftilt is also decent since it's now fast and has small endlag, so it chains with itself a bit. His chute has great range above him, and it beats most dairs of the entire cast. His regular Nair retains it's vbrawl use, and it's still good for that, as is his fair and bair.

His fair might actually be worse than his vbrawl version. Normaly, the hitbox stayed out for a long time, but that benefitted him a lot in minus since he his really fast. Now, it requires that you time it more carefully since it's hitbox doesn't stay out as long. I personaly feel that this nerfed him a lot, which is really lame since he is a c tier character at best anyway. There is also the fact, that the animation doesn't end when the hitbox is gone, so you can't visually see when the hitbox is gone.

His dash attack is only good for hitting people that spot dodge. It's really weird having a fast character with such a slow dash attack. That's why you will be throwing out sliding smashes and grabbing from his dash half the time. This is okay for him since his attacks are really fast, so you can smack people that try to dodge you. Thing is, he gets walled by shields easily. Outside of his Usmash, dsmash, and certain judge hammers, he can't inflict shield pressure at all with his attacks, so learn how to dash and grab people, even though his throws aren't that great.

Also, his final smash is a freaking octopus, and he dies in a few hits and gets juggled easily. Did I miss anything?

Oh yeah, his dair is a great spike and cancels early with a double jump or into upb easier. It also combos with the cute super easy when it hits grounded foes.

His upb doesn't give him as much invincibility on startup as it does in vbrawl. I'm also not sure it goes higher than in vbrawl, so this move may be worse than vbrawl a upb.

Back to his dash attack, it has a weird cancel where if you do certain A attacks, like his smashes, near the end of the move, he will do the attack and slide super far. I can't get the timing down for this.

Also, his rolls and dodges are bad. Be careful.

That pretty much covers him.

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
Nice guide, NEWB. I'll take it to heart.

Bashdemears

Jiggs2stronk
G&W has a complex supersmashbros.wikia.com/wiki/Game_and_Watch_Complex

I have yet to find a smash game without it.

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
I read it. Hm...I'll change that.

NEWB

I actually DID forget a couple things.

Game and Watch has one thing that no one else in smash has, and that is his strange dair interaction with platforms. Because his dair shoots him up slightly, it's hard to reliably dair after ducking under. He will simply fire dair on the platform in place. This is interesting since it allows game and watch to shutdown approaches from beneath him. This also means that he can't do a down move after ducking... So it may or may not be a fair trade.

Game and Watch's biggest problem is, unfortunately, that he is outclassed by other characters. Jigglypuff does everything game and watch can do better plus better throws, better dodges, more jumps, better shield, and she can't be juggled as easily, and a recovery move. She even has great shield pressure. You can't compete with the queen of the skies. Lucas and ness are also much better glass cannons, putting him in an awkward position. Currently, his air game is outclassed and he has many properties that are bad for light weights and glass cannons. Did I forget to mention that other characters don't get hurt by their own projectiles unassisted either?

Play around with him if you want dude, but you will probably come to the same conclusion that I have. There just better and more fun characters. He is my vbrawl main, and I'm sorry to say I dropped him a long time ago in minus.

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
GW takes pretty good advantage of DCCG as well because of his running speed and slide. His dthrow acts exactly like Fox's if you can grab/slide to the very edge, in that it will send them straight down.

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
Hm....perhaps he can be reworked, if the devs have time.
In the mean time, I don't plan on giving up on him. I got used to Sheik's jumps, then I can play Game & Watch.

Sammi-husky

Scientist #1
Minus Backroom
Don't forget! when in doubt spam the heck out of D-smash! :p

All joking aside, it has massive range and is actually fairly disjointed from gnw's hammer models. It's also blazingly fast. On the edge, it's VERY good for keeping people off as it's so disjointed it's hard to get him away from the edge.

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
After playing some with Gold, I realized that all I need with G&W is more practice.
I'll bring him to the top of tier lists.

Thor

The Concept said:
After playing some with Gold, I realized that all I need with G&W is more practice.
I'll bring him to the top of tier lists.

Falco and I will be waiting up there for ya.

As will my Pikachu and sort-of fraudulent Lucario/Ganondorf/Kirby.

Tybis

Resident Minusaur
Minus Backroom
Oh I forgot to mention, always "buffer" Judge.
The way Judge works is that it takes a number out of nine, however, it never picks the last two numbers you pulled (this is why you never see any number appear in a row). So, by that logic, assuming you've already used Judge twice at least, then it's no longer a 1/9 chance to get any given number, but a 1/7 chance.
In practice, as soon as I toss out a #9, I retreat so I can toss out 2 empty hammers, allowing #9 the chance to be chosen again.

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
Hmm...quite helpful. Thank you.