Float toggle, maybe?

Thanatoast

Grim Reaper in Training
Yo, so I kind of think that maybe Peach could use a toggle for her floating shenanigans. Maybe, like, if you hold down the air-dodge after the animation, she toggles into her floating stance? Or maybe taunt in the air and she toggles to it? I remember that Ness had a secondary "bat set" where you broke the taunt where he pulled out his bat, and then he had a second move set. Maybe Peach could have that? Folks using certain controllers like the GameCube controller could use something like that so they don't have to constantly hold Up on the stick and suffer from lack of horizontal mobility, especially when her aerial attacks are so essential.

Thor

Yo, so I kind of think that maybe Peach could use a toggle for her floating shenanigans. Maybe, like, if you hold down the air-dodge after the animation, she toggles into her floating stance? Or maybe taunt in the air and she toggles to it? I remember that Ness had a secondary "bat set" where you broke the taunt where he pulled out his bat, and then he had a second move set. Maybe Peach could have that? Folks using certain controllers like the GameCube controller could use something like that so they don't have to constantly hold Up on the stick and suffer from lack of horizontal mobility, especially when her aerial attacks are so essential.

You can hold the jump button to float on the Gamecube controller. That's how guys like Armada are able to float back and forth - they hold a jump button, not up.

A float mode shouldn't be necessary.

Thor

I find jumping and holding down is the best way to float closest to the ground.

If you hold down, then hold jump. you'll float as low to the ground as possible.

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
I personally use Y for floating. Far easier than holding up.

Doqtor Kirby

Resident Design Nitpicker
Minus Backroom
Or git gud and use the jump button.

e~ quadruple ninja'd
You can hold the jump button to float on the Gamecube controller. That's how guys like Armada are able to float back and forth - they hold a jump button, not up.

I find jumping and holding down is the best way to float closest to the ground.
If you want an easy way of maintaining your float just map jump to L. Then hold L to float.
I personally use Y for floating. Far easier than holding up.

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
Peach main here. I use the stick for jumping and the x button (plus down) for floating. But I used to use R as a jump so I could press down + R and float but I don't use that anymore. In other news, did you know Peach has two floats? There has to be an action between using the second one (Peach bomber, jump etc) but you can totally float twice in one air time.

NEWB

Really? I'm pretty positive both floats work back to back because I see the animation loop but you are the peach main.

Thor

It's possible I 've never seen the animation loop but Kien told me there needs to be an action in between.

Does getting hit count as an action? If so, that *might* be the loop NEWB's thinking of [and it might not].

Thanatoast

Grim Reaper in Training

I mean, if we're gonna talk stuff not being necessary, a lot of things in Minus shouldn't be, but we have them because it either a) makes it a lot easier to do things, or b) it makes it fun(ny). I just figured that maybe for casuals it could be an option, since Brawl Minus is kind of intended for that. At least, that's the vibe I got from it initially. I could be wrong, and it is, in fact, for s00per l33t MLG and not filthy casuals.

As for holding the jump button, never knew you could do that. That seems really awkward, having to hold it with part of your thumb while also trying to maneuver around and hit A for stuff (too used to using C-stick, I guess). Also let button mapping slip my mind. I don't know why, because I had to go in and disable tap-jump because I am a godless heathen.
Of course, since my GameCube controller broke (circuit board cracked after one too many drops), shouldn't be an issue anymore. .-.;

Anyways, notes and advice have been taken.

Or git gud and use the jump button.

e~ quadruple ninja'd

Not sure if I should be insulted or applaud the signature reference. I've got my eye on you.

Thor

I mean, if we're gonna talk stuff not being necessary, a lot of things in Minus shouldn't be, but we have them because it either a) makes it a lot easier to do things, or b) it makes it fun(ny). I just figured that maybe for casuals it could be an option, since Brawl Minus is kind of intended for that. At least, that's the vibe I got from it initially. I could be wrong, and it is, in fact, for s00per l33t MLG and not filthy casuals.

As for holding the jump button, never knew you could do that. That seems really awkward, having to hold it with part of your thumb while also trying to maneuver around and hit A for stuff (too used to using C-stick, I guess). Also let button mapping slip my mind. I don't know why, because I had to go in and disable tap-jump because I am a godless heathen.
Of course, since my GameCube controller broke (circuit board cracked after one too many drops), shouldn't be an issue anymore. .-.;

Anyways, notes and advice have been taken.

Not sure if I should be insulted or applaud the signature reference. I've got my eye on you.

I don't know if you mean I c-stick too much, but I use A for all my aerials. And I float.

I use X, and I just sort of slide part of my thumb over to press A. It's not exactly easy to do at first, but it becomes basically second nature [in my opinion] with some practice. It's also very workable if things are remapped.

I think a float mode doesn't make much sense because she already has an extremely fast way to access float AND it's the same method used in all other smash games. We could do an alt input [I guess], but I'd hope to at least retain the original input method, or new players who played Peach elsewhere would be very confused.

Disabling tap jump is more common than not if they aren't a Melee player first and foremost [and some Melee players do it anyway when they play PM/other smash games with mapping].

Hopefully float aerials are easier from now on.

You should probably applaud Doqk, I don't think he ever actually means ill, and the reference is pretty clever.

Thor

Totally unrelated but how did you take a picture with both your hands on the controller?

Would guess either face or another person. Or a camera with a timer, so using hands and held by head/chin. Or a see-through surface polished cleanly, and using his forehead.

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
Would guess either face or another person. Or a camera with a timer, so using hands and held by head/chin. Or a see-through surface polished cleanly, and using his forehead.
My head tech is too strong. But really, I hung the camera end of my phone off the edge of my desk and used a timer.

Thanatoast

Grim Reaper in Training
I don't know if you mean I c-stick too much, but I use A for all my aerials. And I float.

I use X, and I just sort of slide part of my thumb over to press A. It's not exactly easy to do at first, but it becomes basically second nature [in my opinion] with some practice. It's also very workable if things are remapped.

I think a float mode doesn't make much sense because she already has an extremely fast way to access float AND it's the same method used in all other smash games. We could do an alt input [I guess], but I'd hope to at least retain the original input method, or new players who played Peach elsewhere would be very confused.

Disabling tap jump is more common than not if they aren't a Melee player first and foremost [and some Melee players do it anyway when they play PM/other smash games with mapping].

Hopefully float aerials are easier from now on.

You should probably applaud Doqk, I don't think he ever actually means ill, and the reference is pretty clever.

Make sense. I've been experimenting, and I've gotten it down to access the float mode a lot easier (Nunchuck c-button). Granted, still can't quite figure out how to be as fast as I'd like to be, but I suppose that'll come with practice.

As for an alt mode, if it is implemented, I agree with that. Definitely keep the original input method.

But yes, they are very much easier now. Thank y'all kindly for your inputs!

Finally, as for Doqk, I didn't think he meant any ill, but you can never be too sure. :3