#FixGanondorf

Turk Injaydii

Brawl Zeus Bandwagon-Rider
I'm gonna end up making a proof of concept build of this and having it get rejected, watch..

I dont think there's any denying that it would have more utility than gandouken. Balance may be an issue though. Flame Choke tech chasing with Dorf Train sounds devastating!

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
It doesn't even need to replace the Ganouken. Just get rid of the projectile and make the Dorf Train his B. And there's really no reason it couldn't move him in the air too. Considering how long it still takes the attack to come out, it doesn't serve much as a recovery, but it sure makes him harder to deal with if he uses it as a means of returning from up high.

The balance around this, of course, is that this move becomes incredibly risky when dealing with characters that have armor or a counter.

snidbert63

Certified n00b
Your statement about the clone debate is irrelevant in speaking of Flame Choke because it is completely unique to Ganon. He doesn't need a projectile. If you want him to have one, you can try advocating for it; despite the devs taking the time to explain why its never happened. But Smash is a game that Ganon is in, Just like an LoZ title, and Flame Choke has become a staple of the character. I promise you its not going anywhere. Even PM, the game you claim you're going to play instead of Minus, has Ganon with Flame Choke and no projectile.
At least they replace WP with an actual Zelda-inspired move! Also, PM adds an actual sword attack, which is two moves better than Minus. Ok, you know Crusade Toad? His neutral B and side B are pretty much made-up. And I doubt you like that.
I'm gonna end up making a proof of concept build of this and having it get rejected, watch.

"other dude"
As for spawning suit pieces, certain items can only be spawned if the character who they relate to is present.
So, for my idea, you'd have to replace one of the actual items (would the Broken Hammerhead work?) rather than a char-specific item. OK.

snidbert63

Certified n00b
This thread is not Ganon's moveset feedback thread. If you want one of those, you can make a separate thread.

Last edited:

Turk Injaydii

At least they replace WP with an actual Zelda-inspired move! Also, PM adds an actual sword attack, which is two moves better than Minus. Ok, you know Crusade Toad? His neutral B and side B are pretty much made-up. And I doubt you like that.

Idk why you speak of Toad so much. I could care less about him or his inclusion in any Smash, lol...As for PM Ganon, he gets to float, reflect, and has a useless secret taunt that was just made to replace WP. He's not that different. And Minus Ganon isn't going to change significantly due to the fact that literally all of the game's fan base is fine with him the way he is; outside of a few outliers such as yourself.

Only change Ganon needs is a new neutral B. Something that's actually useful. I don't care if they ripoff PM, do the Dorf Train suggested by Gold_TSG, or what. Just give him something that's not completely and utterly useless, and I'll be happy. lol

Gold_TSG

Choo choo muthaf**ka

snidbert63

Certified n00b
Ok, here's my suggested Ganondorf moveset:

Neutral B: Dead Man's Volley (replace the broken hammer with this attack's projectile)
Side B: A sword dash. If you mash B, it will break shields. Otherwise, you'll have super armor
Up B: Hover. When active, Dorf will be able move in any direction and gravity will not affect him. He will be able to use aerials, air dodge, etc. while hovering. If attacked, he will stop hovering, and will regain his double jump but not his up B.
Down B: Some sort of magic burst. Will electrify or paralyze opponents depending on charge level.

Jab: Same, except now it doubles as a reflector.
Ftilt: Will now trip victims.
Utilt: Some sort of sword attack
Dash: Grounded Wizard Foot moved here
Fsmash: WP moved here. Tilt up for Gandouken, or down for Dorf train.
Usmash: another sword attack
Dsmash: Utilt moved here. Quake hitbox is bigger depending on charge level and will cover nearly entire screen on full charge
Nair: Same, except aesthetically, he now uses his sword for the attack.
Fair: A lot quicker if tapped, the same if held; both variants now reflect projectiles
Dair: Aerial Wizard Foot moved to this move's held variant.
Zair: aerial Flame Choke moved here.
Dthrow: Grounded Flame Choke moved here
Dtaunt: Now a counter, if possible.

Who agrees?

Only me? Really?

Thor

Neutral B: Dead Man's Volley (replace the broken hammer with this attack's projectile)
Side B: A sword dash. If you mash B, it will break shields. Otherwise, you'll have super armor
Up B: Hover. When active, Dorf will be able move in any direction and gravity will not affect him. He will be able to use aerials, air dodge, etc. while hovering. If attacked, he will stop hovering, and will regain his double jump but not his up B.
Down B: Some sort of magic burst. Will electrify or paralyze opponents depending on charge level.

Dsmash: Utilt moved here. Quake hitbox is bigger depending on charge level and will cover nearly entire screen on full charge
Fair: A lot quicker if tapped, the same if held; both variants now reflect projectiles

Who agrees?

Only me? Really?

It doesn't matter who agrees, a moveset revamp isn't gonna happen [aka the dev team doesn't agree].

I think reflector jab would be coo though. They'd need to tone down the IASA slightly though [that is, give it a little more endlag], to put it more in line with something like Mario cape.

Turk Injaydii

Who agrees?

Only me? Really?

They'll never do this. It would be too awesome, lol... won't lie man, that Dorf would be the most amazing iteration of the character. Props to you for thinking this up. Good stuff.

Gold_TSG

Whether or not the dev team agrees or not is kinda irrelevant. As sweet as the changes are (for the most part), accomplishing all of that would take a lot of time (especially the specials).

Turk Injaydii

I'm not a huge LoZ fan, so if this never happens, I'm good. But I'll say this: This would be the ultimate fan service for LoZ fans. No denying that Smash'dorf does the character almost no justice.

I've always liked the idea the PMDT proposed when they made a voting poll on Smashboards.com for new character ideas. They proposed that Smash'dorf's moveset be moved to Black Shadow from F-Zero, then make Ganondorf his own character. It would make so much more sense. Literally EVERY clone character in ALL of Smash is from the same series as the character he/she was cloned from EXCEPT Dorf, and every can be made happy by the idea the PMDT proposed. Smash'dorf fans would still have the moveset they've grown to love, and LoZ fans would get the Ganondorf they've always wanted.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Yeah but it wouldn't be Minus Dorf. Tbh I think completely overhauling 'dorf this late in the project is kind of silly.
What defines Minus 'Dorf to you? Minus-Style Flame Choke is the main thing for me.

We could port BGG's Fist/Sword 'Dorf, and add classic Minus elements to it. BGG's Fist 'Dorf is similar to Minus 'Dorf, so it seems feasible.

Last edited:

Turk Injaydii

Yeah but it wouldn't be Minus Dorf. Tbh I think completely overhauling 'dorf this late in the project is kind of silly.

In a perfect world, someone would do what the PMDT proposed. Makes SOOOOOOOO much more sense. Idk why no ones done it. Just put Black Shadow on the Minus dorf and declone Ganon.

P.S. I knew that about Ganon in Melee; that's pretty common knowledge. Doesn't change the fact that he's inaccurate to LoZ Ganondorf.

snidbert63

Certified n00b
Ganon wouldn't have been in Smash if he hadn't been a clone character lol. He was the last char added to Melee and they only did it because he was a clone.
Well, they probably would have added the real Ganondorf in Brawl if the fake Ganondorf was not in Melee.

Destructo

Failure Incarnate
I like Dorf the way he is. Every hit that lands is incredibly satisfying.

snidbert63

Certified n00b
I like Dorf the way he is. Every hit that lands is incredibly satisfying.
I don't like Dorf the way he is. Every hit he lands is either cloned from Captain Falcon, or completely made up. That's the point of this thread. Ganon needs a real moveset, not a made-up one.

Destructo

Failure Incarnate
I don't like Dorf the way he is. Every hit he lands is either cloned from Captain Falcon, or completely made up. That's the point of this thread. Ganon needs a real moveset, not a made-up one.
And what is Captain Falcon?
a) Every attack is taken from Dragon King: The Fighting Game (What Smash was before it had Nintendo characters in it) or
b) Completely made up.
What exactly is different here? They both take inspiration from something original. If you're argument is only those two points, how come no one complains about Falcon?

Turk Injaydii

And what is Captain Falcon?
a) Every attack is taken from Dragon King: The Fighting Game (What Smash was before it had Nintendo characters in it) or
b) Completely made up.
What exactly is different here? They both take inspiration from something original. If you're argument is only those two points, how come no one complains about Falcon?

Captain Falcon's main franchise puts him in a cockpit behind the wheel. He was not well-known by gamers for combat within the game from which he derived. Ganondorf , on th other hand, has been a combating the main character of his game since his conception. That is how the gaming community was introduced to him. And, with those games, comes LOADS of content from which to draw inspiration for a moveset. This is perfectly exemplified in Project Ganondorf.

snidbert63

Certified n00b
They'll never do this. It would be too awesome, lol... won't lie man, that Dorf would be the most amazing iteration of the character. Props to you for thinking this up. Good stuff.
I still think both of Project Ganondorf's Ganons are better than mine, really.

You serious, man? Do you even realize what you're saying here??? DORF WITH NO FLAME CHOKE?!?!?!? I think I speak for everyone (except you) in saying "SCREW THAT IDEA!!!" Lol...Dorf doesn't even need a projectile. He just needs a useful neutral B. That'll prolly never happen though due to the attachment the devs have to 666 WP... *disappointed sigh*
DUDE NEEDS TO LEARN ABOUT THE DORF. NO FLAME CHOKE TEC CHASES? EFF THAT!!!!