Dual Maining.

MelonKeepR

Currently, I main ICs and occasionally swap between Fox/Falco/Peach, just for fun. I've gotten "pretty good" at the latter three and would like to pick one up as a secondary main.

Specifically, I'd like to play Fox - and I'd like to get better with Fox techskill. The scary part about all of this is that, I'm worried that if I practise Fox too much, my ICs game might suffer. I've never seriously dual mained in a Smash game before, so what's the best way to go about doing it?

May seem like a strange question, but please try to answer as best you can. Thanks, in advance.

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
Dual maining just requires learning how to balance practice between both. I "main" a few chars in smash 4 just fine, and each one requires different ways of playing, but the biggest benefit is learning to adapt to each play style for each char, and anything you learn could potentially benefit the other chars you use.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
I recommend having at least two mains. Ideally, your mains should cover each others' weaknesses.

I used to only main Falcon and 'Dorf, but I picked up Zelda to fight against zoners, since Falcon and 'Dorf struggle against them.

Green Hell Zone

Absolutely positively the best Sonic player ever.
I dual main Sonic and Sonic with a racing suit.

EpicNonBread

Malfunctioning Machinery
Minus Backroom
Playtester
Not about Minus, but I think this'll help. We have a Smash 4 player at college who is notable for not having a steady main. He's been switching from character to character since we met him freshmen year. There are two things he always seems to take into account first when he moves to the next character. For the character we wants to play next, he asks "what character do I have fun with the most or have fun playing? And when he looked into what secondary or other main to play, he asked, who is fun for me but ALSO covers the bad match ups of my now chosen main?

This is where the purpose of secondaries or additional mains came in, where if you were pit against a bad MU for your main, you would have a fall back option other than, choose the stage that helped you the most and struggle through game after game of a losing MU. Alternatively, it doesn't necessarily have to be about counter counters, and you might just want to main other characters that are fun to you and provide different gameplay.

So for an example, I duel main Meta Knight and ROB. My Meta Knight is mostly for competitive play, while ROB is the character that I have more fun with out of the two. They both handle the same MU's very differently, and allow for different mentalities and play styles.

I also have a whole bunch of secondaries, including IC's. With a character like IC's, you have a lot of room for choosing who you'd want to cover your bad MU's and a lot of character who would offer different game play. There isn't really a right or wrong answer for this though. Just check who you have fun with, and play them. If you're looking for new game play, look for a character who is very different from your main game play wise. If you're looking for a dual main for competitive reasons, look at your current main's poor MU's.

AGentleStar

Video Editor
OORRRR... You can do what I do and strive to master every character in the game. I started that goal back when Brawl was released and has helped me tremendously in every game I play!
but I'm still dead inside. :nesmk: