December 2015 Community Tier List Results! (And emoticons!)

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
MegaSaturn99 was not available to post it due to circumstances, so as he requested I will be posting the results in his steed.

Here are the results for the first Brawl Minus community Tier List! I must say there were some surprises!

A+::fox::metaknight::lucario::ddd:
A: :squirtle::falco::pichu::peach::wolf:
A-::falcon::sheik::pit::marth::sonic::toonlink::link::ivysaur::zss::snake::yoshi:
B+::gnw::diddy::pikachu::wario::mario::luigi::rob::dk::olimar::jigglypuff::roy::lucas::kirby:
B: :ike::samus::charizard: :ganon::bowser::zelda:
B-: :ness::iceclimbers:

Numbers are averaged based upon votes. A vote to place a character in S Tier would be 11 points, while a vote for D tier would be 1.

1.:fox: (10.49)
2.:metaknight: (9.93)
3.:lucario: (9.92)
4.:ddd: (9.53)
5.:squirtle: (9.46)
6.:falco: (8.93)
7. :pichu: (8.73)
8.:peach: (8.71)
9.:wolf: (8.57)
10.:falcon: (8.37)
11.:sheik: (8.3)
12.:pit: (8.23)
13. :marth: (8.18)
14. :sonic::toonlink: (8.13)
15. :link: (7.92)
16.:ivysaur: (7.91)
17.:zss: (7.83)
18.:snake: (7.66)
19.:yoshi: (7.57)
20.:gnw: (7.47)
21.:diddy: (7.33)
22.:pikachu: (7.20)
23.:wario: (7.07)
24.:mario: (7.06)
25.:luigi::rob: (7)
26.:dk:(6.84)
27.:olimar: (6.76)
28.:jigglypuff:(6.69)
29.:roy:(6.68)
30.:lucas:(6.64)
31.:kirby: (6.60)
32.:charizard:(6.38)
33.:ike:(6.33)
34.:samus:(6)
35.:ganon:(5.9)
36.:bowser:(5.8)
37.:zelda:(5.54)
38.:ness:(5.50)
39.:iceclimbers::nana:(4.73)

Remember that this is the community tier list assembled by popular vote, so it is popular opinion, which is subject to change and may not entirely accurately reflect the power of the characters in the game.

Oh also, there are now emoticons for the characters available for you to use. This will also apply for when you choose your main in your profile (with the exception of Nana).

This is only the first list, but I am curious as to how the results will change next time!

Last edited:

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
I'm gonna eloborate on how these scores were reached and the tiers made. If you look back at the Voting page, each tier was represented by a number. I averaged each vote together and removed the highest and lowest values for each characters so that results weren't skewed by someone randomly saying a character is F tier when everyone else was voting them to A tier for example. We'll definately be doing another one of these in the future when there are more tournaments under our belts and we have a better understanding of the competitive meta. I'm also looking into making a tier list team made up of the top players on these forums, again after we see some tournament placements. That's all I have to say on tier lists for right now. I'll make a post later analyzing the results we got so look out for that.

Xentas

Some Minus Fan Who Likes Criticism
Aside from Wolf, all my faves are surprisingly lower tier then I imagined, especially Snake. And Bowser isn't the worst char, it's Ness (something I honestly agree with), which makes my signature now irrelevant.

Either way this is pretty cool. I observe that only some characters are actually much different then their former vanilla selves in terms of how they rate on the tiers. For example, Mario's crew and Ness, Lucas and Ganondorf. However, Marth's place kind of... Irritates me.

Brb, gonna spam Bowser emotes on my sig now.

BC

Momentum Based Player
Playtester
This list is surprisingly mostly accurate, excluding a few weird placings. I was expecting Ivy and DK to be a little bit higher, and Yoshi's placing just baffles me. I was fully expecting him to be either high A or low A+. Oh well. At least all my other mains are placed correctly. XD

vanity.

Hardcore will never die, but you will.
Most of this makes a lot of a sense, but I do have a few complaints.

Just curious, why is Squirtle not in A+ tier? There isn't a large gap between D3 and Squirtle, and there's a gigantic gap between Squirtle and Falco. Looking at these numbers, I would assume that Squirtle is a dominant force in the metagame. If we're talking about the best characters in the game, Squirtle should be in that conversation.

IMO, Marth and Roy should be in the same tier, or at least closer than what they are now. The numbers don't reflect this, but I see Roy just as good as Marth. Roy's d-air is pretty ridiculous all things considered, and Marth doesn't have as many kill setups as Roy does. Marth is still great, and has a better and more reliable f-air and f-smash for that matter, but I don't see how Marth is THIS much better than Roy.

Ness is not the worst character in the game, or for that matter, he's not even in the conversation. Yes, he doesn't have a good recovery, but Lucas only has a better recovery by a tiny bit thanks to his PK Fire, and he's 1 point higher. Ness is very combo oriented, and has plenty good and reliable finishers. He is nowhere NEAR as bad as IC's or even Bowser.

A few more nitpicks, at least for me:
  • Zelda might be a little too low? Not lower than Bowser and Ganondorf for sure. She has a lot of potential. A couple buffs might make her real scary.
  • Toon Link's a bit high, and definitely not better than Link
  • Sonic is very low. I don't know if people think his kill potential is garbage or what, but Sonic is definitely one of the most powerful characters in the game.
  • Jigglypuff is a little too high, or at least for me. Can't really tell what's off. Definitely not better than Kirby.
  • Charizard is fairly low. Charizard can be very scary in a lot of ways.
Rest is pretty accurate from what I'm seeing.

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
Most of this makes a lot of a sense, but I do have a few complaints.

Just curious, why is Squirtle not in A+ tier? There isn't a large gap between D3 and Squirtle, and there's a gigantic gap between Squirtle and Falco. Looking at these numbers, I would assume that Squirtle is a dominant force in the metagame. If we're talking about the best characters in the game, Squirtle should be in that conversation.

Squirtle fell just below the requirement to be in A+ (9.51), but scored well enough to still be top 5.

Ness is not the worst character in the game, or for that matter, he's not even in the conversation. Yes, he doesn't have a good recovery, but Lucas only has a better recovery by a tiny bit thanks to his PK Fire, and he's 1 point higher. Ness is very combo oriented, and has plenty good and reliable finishers. He is nowhere NEAR as bad as IC's or even Bowser.

Not entirely true. Lucas has the Zap Jump glitch that can double his second jump height, retains his PK Fire momentum when using PSI Magnet, has Rope Snake to tether, and lastly, PK Thunder doesn't go away when a foe runs into it. Lucas' recovery is far better than Ness'.

Momurderer

Bazooka Koopa
Looks snazzy. I do agree with vanity that Charizard can get scary. Maybe when he gets a proper down B then he will move up quite a bit. Also him losing his super armor on f smash for 4.0 settles him down a bit.
I think Toon Link edges out Link mainly because of his trap arrows and the stage control that they can give him. If it wasn't for arrows I'd think that Link would beat out TL.
I think Bowser should be a bit higher and Wario a bit lower but in minus being a low B tier is still nothing to scoff at. It will be interesting to retake this poll in a couple months with hopefully more people to chime in. Also I didn't vote so I shouldn't really have anything to say about anything.

vanity.

Not entirely true. Lucas has the Zap Jump glitch that can double his second jump height, retains his PK Fire momentum when using PSI Magnet, has Rope Snake to tether, and lastly, PK Thunder doesn't go away when a foe runs into it. Lucas' recovery is far better than Ness'.

Zap Jump really isn't safe offstage, and is a really tough trick, even with b-sticking. Especially with it being a 1 frame trick, that doesn't hold much weight. His tether also kills all of his momentum if it barely misses the ledge. I will say that Lucas has a better recovery, but I wouldn't say it's "far better".

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
This list is ordered based on the number of fighters each fighter was ranked over.
What does this mean?

Edit: nvm answered.

Just to drive it home, I'm assembling an Official Minus Tier List team made up of the top players here so go out and do well at tournaments since it will pretty much be based on results only.

Zap Jump really isn't safe offstage, and is a really tough trick, even with b-sticking. Especially with it being a 1 frame trick, that doesn't hold much weight.
I can zap jump 100% of the time. It was so easy I wasn't actually aware it is a one frame input. Also, Lucas can go at more angles than Ness can with up B due to how maneuverable the projectile is and a Pk Fire into Magnet allows him to fly horizontally across the stage. Just trust me as a Lucas main. It's way better than Ness's recovery.

Last edited:

Mawootad

Minus Backroom
So doing my own analysis of the data using ranking statistics I came up with this list

S: :fox::metaknight:
A+: :lucario::ddd::squirtle:
A: :falco::pichu::peach::wolf::sonic::sheik::pit:
A-: :toonlink::falcon::ivysaur::zss::marth::link::yoshi:
B+: :dk::diddy::wario::gnw::snake::pikachu::rob::mario::luigi::olimar::jigglypuff::charizard::lucas::roy::ike:
B: :kirby::samus::ganon::bowser:
B-: :zelda::ness::iceclimbers:

Might be a little bit more accurate for the sample size, but not sure.

vanity.

I can zap jump 100% of the time. It was so easy I wasn't actually aware it is a one frame input. Also, Lucas can go at more angles than Ness can with up B due to how maneuverable the projectile is and a Pk Fire into Magnet allows him to fly horizontally across the stage. Just trust me as a Lucas main. It's way better than Ness's recovery.

I'm more experienced with Ness, who can't Zap Jump due to changes to his jumping. From what I tried, I can't Zap Jump consistently, even with B-sticking. You won't always have a second jump offstage anyways. But, okay, sure. His recovery is certainly better. I'm still not on board with the "way better" or "much better" part, but it is certainly better. I feel as if recovery is not very relevant when addressing Ness and Lucas as characters anyways.

I'm also not on board with him being one of the worst characters, which was the core of that section, not my lack of character knowledge. PK Fire is still a great projectile, he has great throws, and has really great aerials. I still wouldn't agree with Lucas being a whole point higher than Ness, but Ness is certainly much more gimpable than Lucas and Lucas does have more kill potential.

Mawootad, I feel as if that list in general is more accurate as a whole, though I still may take issue with a few things, including Ness' position. But that's statistics, not much I can do to persuade the people that Ness isn't that bad.

Last edited:

Baby_Sneak

diddy kong is so underdeveloped i'm very tempted to main him