[Custom] Boost-Powered Falcon! Featuring Falcon Finish and Raptor Rush.

Do you like Boost-Powered Falcon? Please actually try it out in-game before voting.

• YES! I like everything about this!

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • I like some of these tweaks, but not all of them.

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • I don't like any of this.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Bent 00's "Boost-Powered Falcon" Beta 1 (based off 4.0BC Falcon)

qQrDetU.jpg

Get ready to Show your Moves in Brawl Minus like never before! Captain Falcon is already an excellent fighter in version 4.0BC, but he's not quite Top Tier, thanks mostly to his predictable, easily-gimped recovery. Being a Falcon main, I had to try and tweak Falcon into the best Captain he can be! Now, after much fine-tuning, he's ready. 3, 2, 1, GO!

Neutral Special: Falcon Punch
Fearlessly leap into Flying Falcon Punches with more control and style than ever before!
  • Air Momentum has been tweaked. Falcon can now adjust his vertical position a bit by holding a direction. This is more noticeable when the Punch is Reversed.
  • The "Punch" SFX now sounds on frame 52 instead of frame 55, so that Falcon shouts "Punch" as he is throwing it, instead of having the SFX delayed by HitLag.
Neutral Special: Charged Falcon Punch
With Maximum Boost Power, press Special to perform a fast, armored Falcon Punch!
  • Using this immediately resets Boost Power to zero, even if it is interrupted and no HitBox comes out.
  • Air Momentum has been tweaked. Falcon can now adjust his vertical position a bit by holding a direction. This is more noticeable when the Punch is Reversed.
  • Frame Speed Multiplier (FSM) has been slowed from 3x to 2x (non-Reversed) / 2.51x (Reversed) to allow for new "Falcon" SFX. The "Punch" SFX sounds earlier, too.
  • Added 20% Damage-Based Armor to Charged Falcon Punch. It can now only be interrupted (wasting all of Falcon's Boost Power) by Grabs and very hard hits.
  • Thanks to Mawootad, the "Slow Motion Charged Falcon Punch" bug is fixed. Landing Charged Falcon Punch mid-move will now retain its speed and single HitBox.
  • Pro Tip: Map Up-Taunt to an unused Trigger or Bumper, and start holding it in the air. As long as it remains held, Neutral-Special will only trigger regular Falcon Punch, saving your Charge.
  • SFX Note: You might notice that Falcon says "Falcon Kick" if his Charged Falcon Punch is interrupted or slowed down. This can be fixed with a dedicated "Falcon" SFX later.
Side Special: Raptor Boost (grounded)
Plow through pesky projectiles and puny punches to combo the competition into oblivion! Just don't overheat.
  • Now deals 3% self-damage to Falcon with every use. As in most of the F-Zero games, Boosting costs Energy. This discourages Raptor Boost spam.
  • Made into more of a combo-starting move. Follow up with Up-Air, Knee, or Falcon Dive!
  • Grounded Raptor Boost can now Cancel into Jump or Grab. If you have Tap Jump on, it can easily Cancel into Up-Smash too.
  • Added 7.5% damage-based armor, which lets Falcon power through weak projectiles, without making him unstoppable. He still takes the damage, just not the KnockBack.
  • Now you can hold Special to not slide off ledges with grounded Raptor Boost. If you DO want to slide off ledges, do not hold Special.
  • Damage has been increased from 5% + 7% to 5% + 10%.
  • Shield Damage has been increased from 0 to 20.
  • Base KnockBack has been reduced from 105 to 80.
  • KnockBack Growth has been reduced from 82 to 52.
Side Special: Raptor Boost (aerial)
Raptor Boost Cancels give Falcon aerial mobility and flexibility worthy of his name, but power comes at a price...
  • Now deals 3% self-damage to Falcon with every use. As in most of the F-Zero games, Boosting costs Energy. This discourages Raptor Boost spam.
  • Aerial Raptor Boost can now Cancel into Air Jump, Air Dodge, any Aerial Attack, or any Special Attack except itself.
  • Unlike the grounded version, aerial Raptor Boost has no damage-based armor, because it can Cancel into more moves. It trades defense for flexibility.
  • Detection HitBoxes improved. Vertical range narrowed, so that Falcon doesn't Punch empty air. Horizontal range widened, so that Falcon doesn't miss point-blank foes.
  • Damage has been increased from 7% to 10%.
  • Shield Damage has been increased from 2 to 20.
  • SpecialAirSStart FSM at frame 36 increased from 1.3x to 1.8x, to speed up EndLag.
Side Special: Falcon Finish
With Maximum Boost Power, press Attack + Special while grounded to perform a stronger, Invincible Raptor Boost! Race to the Finish!
  • Activating Falcon Finish on frame 9 of grounded Raptor Boost immediately resets Boost Power to zero. This move cannot be interrupted.
  • Being a telegraphed, forward-rushing move, this Charged attack has Invincibility (starting on frame 9) instead of only Armor, so that it is not easily thwarted by Grabs.
  • This Charged Raptor Boost will deal 3% self-damage to Falcon with each use, just like the uncharged version. Boosting costs energy.
  • Unlike Raptor Rush, Falcon Finish cannot be Canceled, but it has a 5% HitBox that Raptor Rush lacks, and its upward KnockBack gives foes no chance of being saved by the ground.
  • New Attributes: 5% + 20% Damage, 40 Shield Damage, 105 Base KnockBack, 62 KnockBack Growth.
Side Special: Raptor Rush
With Maximum Boost Power, press Attack + Special while in the air to zoom forward like a F-Zero machine and deliver a stronger, Invincible Raptor Boost!
  • Activating Raptor Rush on frame 11 of aerial Raptor Boost immediately resets Boost Power to zero. This move cannot be interrupted.
  • Being a telegraphed, forward-flying move, this Charged attack has Invincibility (starting on frame 11) instead of only Armor, so that it is not easily thwarted by Grabs.
  • This Charged Raptor Boost will deal 3% self-damage to Falcon with each use, just like the uncharged version. Boosting costs energy.
  • Compared to Falcon Finish, this move deals 5% less damage, and launches aerial foes downward instead of upward. However, Raptor Rush flies much farther forward, and can be Canceled.
  • Raptor Rush retains all of aerial Raptor Boost's Cancelability, but try not to waste your Boost Power by Canceling too early, and be careful not to Rush into the Blast Zone!
  • New Attributes: 20% Damage, 40 Shield Damage.
Up-Special: Falcon Dive
  • HitBoxes made to better match the animation, giving them much better coverage. See here and here.
  • This move now ends sooner, as Falcon says "Moves". The "YES" SFX has been removed.
  • Hold "A" to go a little further horizontally at the apex of Falcon's flip kick. Falcon Dive Overdrive!
Down-Special: Falcon Kick
  • Removed the "on-hit only" requirement for the Falcon Kick Jump Cancel, which was added in 4.0b without being included in any changelogs.
Rapid Jab
  • Hold A + B after two Jabs to do the sliding version, or B + Z to do the non-sliding version. No more unintentional Rapid Jabs when you want a Grab!
Up-Smash
  • The X Offset on the first kick has been increased from 6 to 10, since I believe it was over-Nerfed.
Grab
  • "C'mon" SFX removed, because it overlapped with the SFX of Pummel and Throws, and because Falcon now says "C'mon" in three other moves. C'mon, that's enough!
Pummel
  • "YES" SFX replaced with "low voice clip" SFX, because it overlapped with itself, and because Falcon now says "YES" in three other moves. That's enough, yes?
Back-Throw
  • Now has two versions: Hold A or Z for the Minus-style drop, or don't hold either to get a more vBrawl-style fiery kick that kicks foes away instead of downward.
Up-Taunt: Boost Charge
You got Boost Power! Charge up to the Max to unleash the true power and speed of the Supersonic Slugger.
  • Trigger simplified -- now, instead of Up-Taunt, Down-Taunt, Up-Taunt, simply tap or hold Up-Taunt to Charge Boost Power, 1 or 3 levels at a time.
  • Tapping Up-Taunt performs a quick 1-level Charge, while holding Up-Taunt will Charge up Boost Power to the Max of 3 levels -- but this takes longer, so beware!
  • With each successful level of Boost Power that is Charged, Falcon is healed by 3%. This is a nod to how F-Zero racers must drive over Recharge Strips to regain energy.
  • SFX changed. Instead of "Show me, Show me, Show me ya Moves", the SFX is now one "Yess" (or "YES" at Max Charge) for each level of Charge started.
  • You'll know that Falcon Charged up a level when you see the healing GFX. He can not heal past 0%.
  • There is no benefit to having 1/3 or 2/3 Boost Power, other than being closer to having Max Charge.
  • Falcon starts flashing once he has Charged up Maximum Boost Power. The only way to reset Boost Power to 0/3 is to use one of Falcon's Charged Special Moves.
  • Boost Charge has 5% damage-based armor, so that it is not easily interrupted by lasers and other fast, weak attacks.
Side-Taunt: Falcon Force
Pull back foes you aren't done with -- save them only to Knee or PAWNCH them for a stylish K.O.!
  • Sped up via 2x FSM, Interrupt moved from frame 100 to 91, HitBox Size increased by 1.5x.
Down-Taunt
  • Hold Down-Taunt to put a funny 1% damage, high-KnockBack HitBox on Falcon's hand.
  • Don't want the HitBox? Tap Down-Taunt instead of holding it.
Notes
  • I recommend mapping an unused Trigger or Bumper to Up-Taunt, so you can Dash > Crouch Cancel > Boost Charge while sliding.
  • Notice how well Falcon Punch works offstage now. Falcon can go really deep for amazing flying Knees and PAWNCHes, then still make it back to the stage.
  • I plan to add some more GFX and SFX polish, but I figure I should get feedback on the core stuff first. No need to work on polish if the core is disliked.
  • If anything seems unbalanced, well... I wanted to start strong and whittle down things where necessary. I'm trying to Break some Limits!
Download and Installation

DOWNLOAD Boost-Powered Falcon Beta 1.0
DOWNLOAD Boost-Powered Falcon Beta 1.01

To use, access your SD card (if you play on a Wii system) or sd.raw file (if you play on Dolphin).
Next, go to Minusery > Fighter > Captain.
You'll see a file labeled "FitCaptain.pac". This is the default 4.0BC Captain Falcon.
Rename that file -- something like "(4.0BC Default) FitCaptain.pac" will do -- and leave it there. Do not delete it!
Now download the "(Boost-Powered Falcon Beta 1) FitCaptain.pac" file I linked above.
Put this new file in the "Captain" folder, then rename it to "FitCaptain.pac". All done!
You'll need to switch the files back if you want to play online with others who have default 4.0BC Falcon. Otherwise, you will desync.

Be sure to leave me some feedback so I know how to proceed with the next version. Thanks!

Technical Info

I will add to this section later if anyone needs more technical information. I'm still a PSA Novice, so I'm sure my PSA work is not perfect... but these tweaks seem to work, and that's enough for now. This is just Beta 1.

Disclaimer

I made these tweaks for fun, and because I wasn't quite satisfied with default 4.0BC Falcon. I'm sharing them here in the Custom Mods section so others can try them out if they would like. I am not trying to push my changes onto anyone, or suggesting these tweaks should be made into Official changes. That said, if any of these tweaks do make it into official Minus, that would be great! Please try to keep any criticism constructive and polite. Comparison of Custom Mods to Official Brawl Minus is inevitable, but I ask that you not bash one or the other too much. Thank you.

Special Thanks
  • All Brawl Minus Devs, especially those who have worked on Captain Falcon
  • Dr., for helping me a lot with PSA
  • Mawootad, for sharing his fix for the Slow Motion Charged Falcon Punch bug
  • Mimsy, for early Beta Testing and Feedback
Video Demos

If anyone would like to re-record Demos 1-4 in HD and send them to me to publish over the ones I recorded off a HDTV screen, that would be appreciated. I don't know how to record in HD straight from Dolphin yet.

Last edited:

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
I tried to add this to the first post, but got this error:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /posts/22866/save-inline on this server.

Anyway, here's a demo video from Mimsy...

...and a pre-made sd.raw from snuffychris605:

If you would prefer to download a Brawl Minus 4.0BC sd.raw with the Boost-Powered Falcon Beta 1 FitFalcon.pac already added in, that is available below.

Brawl Minus 4.0BC sd.raw with Boost-Powered Falcon Beta 1 included

Simply switch out the above sd.raw with the official 4.0BC sd.raw, and you'll be ready to try out Boost-Powered Falcon in Netplay.

By the way, if anyone wants to make more demo videos of Boost-Powered Falcon, that would be appreciated. There are several elements not shown in Mimsy's footage, such as Falcon Finish and Raptor Rush, which are each triggered (on the ground or in the air, respectively) by pressing A+B simultaneously when Falcon has Maximum Boost Power.

Thanks to Mimsy and snuffychris605!

Last edited:

ESC Artiste

The Pot is heavier than Ridley
Okay, so messed around with this custom mod, and my verdict is...

Why in the HYEZZ isn't this in the official mod? This is fantastic and outperforms the current version of C. Falcon in almost every aspect!

Okay, let me get this out of the way. C. Falcon's Raptor Boost canceling into Falcon Dive is a MUCH NEEDED break for his recovery. Many of a time when I edgeguard offstage, he had little way to recover, and made him not only vulnerable but also caused himself to SD in many cases due to 4.0BC's nonexistence of a raptor boost cancel. Because in this custom mod he can do that, it allows him to edgeguard in so many different ways, and it makes him feel more 'Minusified' than 4.0BC C. Falcon.

Into the meat of this mod, I like how most moves were buffed enough to make him a more viable character as it gives him a better chance against spacies and projectile users, but not too much that he would have no one to challenge him. It also allows him to combo better as he was able to do so well in Melee and Brawl-, and to a larger degree at that. The permanent Jump Cancel from Falcon Kick is warmly welcomed, and cancelling his Raptor Boost gives him airial potential that I can't even describe. Overall, the things done to him to make him quicker and hit harder (at a price, which is a nice touch) not only make him better, but match his playstyle of "High Risk, High Reward". Overextending is safer and is honestly preferred since it's part of his aforementioned playstyle-it's what allows him to be so flashy and hype-centric, but the player still needs to have control over the situation or else things can go south quickly.

The additional aspects of things to 'Minusify' him are nice touches, such as the A+B combinations when activating Maximum Boost Power Specials (I especially love Max Boost Raptor Boost, just seeing Falcon dart across the screen like that is just so satisfying and hilarious to watch). The A+B/B+Z combination for the Jab slide can be a little cumbersome to perform, but I feel that with practice that it can be mastered quite well. The only issue that I have is how Falcon Kick still sends opponents up rather than spiking them While this is present in 4.0BC as well and I don't mind the combo potential, I would prefer the spike hitbox seeing as in this custom mod he can now safely jump cancel out of a successful hit.

Overall, this mod is how I expected C. Falcon to be Minusified from when I first played Brawl- back in October of 2016. Sure, in 4.0BC he does feel 'Minusified', and I will give the dev team credit where it's due-even going so far as to saying this custom mod wouldn't have happened if Minus wasn't so good to begin with. However, compared to the rest of the cast he feels like there's weight pulling him down from becoming what truly defines being Minusifed-breaking the limits-and it makes me sad with how much potential shown in this custom mod isn't present in the official mod. Bent 00 fulfills that role and then some, and I honestly prefer keeping this mod installed over the current version until something is done to make C. Falcon what he should be-the Hype, the Fast and The Furious, the Captain Falcon.

Thank you Bent 00, for making this become a realty. And thank you Minus developers for providing the framework to which Bent 00 could create such a fantastic mod. Have a great day, and always remember to BREAK THE LIMITS!!

I played this a while back and never wrote up my feedback. I have three points to make:

First, I'm pretty sure this makes him the best character in the game. I'm not a Falcon player, so maybe I'm not the best judge, but seriously, you took an A-tier character and gave him a bunch of huge buffs, a bunch of minor buffs, and only two nerfs. I would be happy to play a version of Brawl- where everyone was buffed to this level, but this doesn't belong in vBrawl-.

Second, he has too many secret button combinations. I get that you're trying to add depth, but you're adding complexity while you're at it. The Minus team is moving away from this sort of design, and with good reason.

Third, his charge taunt (both variations) would be really good even if the only thing it did was heal. Having it heal and buff Falcon is way too much. For comparison, Pichu does more self-damage and heals much slower, even with frame-perfect sleepwalking.

Last edited:

ESC Artiste

I played this a while back and never wrote up my feedback. I have three points to make:

First, I'm pretty sure this makes him the best character in the game. I'm not a Falcon player, so maybe I'm not the best judge, but seriously, you took an A-tier character and gave him a bunch of huge buffs, a bunch of minor buffs, and only two nerfs. I would be happy to play a version of Brawl- where everyone was buffed to this level, but this doesn't belong in vBrawl-.

Second, he has too many secret button combinations. I get that you're trying to add depth, but you're adding complexity while you're at it. The Minus team is moving away from this sort of design, and with good reason.

Third, his charge taunt (both variations) would be really good even if the only thing it did was heal. Having it heal and buff Falcon is way too much. For comparison, Pichu does more self-damage and heals much slower, even with frame-perfect sleepwalking.

I agree with your statement in general, especially with the buffs-though as you could tell by my analysis, I'm definitely not complaining. :D The complexity of it is also a valid argument, as some button combinations as I said before can be quite cumbersome to pull off. However, some of the combinations (Raptor Boost A+B, will love this one to death) feel natural to not only the character of C. Falcon, but also to Minus. While there are some other characters that have somewhat complex button combinations, they're still very far and few in between, and I can see where you're getting at in terms of complexity being "less is more", even going as far to say that if there were less button combinations to perform specific "hidden actions" it would make this custom mod better. I do see that Bent 00 had this in mind at some point, as instead of C. Falcon's Charged Up-Taunt being Up-Down-Up, only a hold of the Up-Taunt is required, and it makes things so much easier. The Heal-plus-Buff Up-Taunt did throw me off as being a bit too much for him, even if it does fit into his character/franchise. If anything, I would prefer a buff upon Up-Taunt being held only for Maximum Boost Power, and then when activating and successfully connecting with a special that uses said Maximum Boost Power does it give him the heal (high risk, high reward).

The one things that makes me so happy this exists is because just this mod shows what Minus could be (minus some of the complexity), and have every character truly break the limits. Even you said it yourself,"I would be happy to play a version of Brawl- where everyone was buffed to this level..." and I do believe this mod should be in Minus, but rather than just this mod specifically, all "mods" that would make characters overly powerful beyond comprehension should be what Minus should be comprised of. I understand balance is still a requirement, but the foundation for vBrawl- was to make everyone as OP as functionally possible, and thus making everyone balanced (If it's broken, break it more until it's fixed). The only exceptions to this are if it creates toxic playstyles (Counteruption) or if a character is turned into the Meta Knight of vBrawl- and no character(s) can be buffed further to circumvent this, thus a nerf is needed. I honestly don't mind it, but all I want is the full spirit of Minus to still be felt when playing vBrawl-. I want to feel like I am breaking the limits, and enjoy the absurdity that is doing so-it's why I enjoy over-the-top characters such as Roy and Pichu going at the competition. The last thing I want is to play a character who, after many versions of Minus, feels as though there are still limits still to be broken-see 4.0BC Captain Falcon with the over-nerf). This sole reason is why I will keep this mod installed onto my Wii until the devs do something to buff (maybe not overtly, but still noticeable) C. Falcon back into being the crazy fast and hype drive character that he is.

Addendum: I have no qualms against the Minus Dev Team-they've made such a great mod out of Vanilla Brawl and turned it into something fantastic. Hell, some characters fit the bill in terms of having the full spirit of Minus emanating from their very being. It's just that others feel lackluster in comparison, and this mod fixed what was missing in C. Falcon's moveset-a good recovery. This custom mod didn't need to have all the fancy bells and whistles it did, but it honestly helps the character of C. Falcon shine in terms of staying true to his franchise and being even more fun to play as. Other than that, keep up the great work guys, and remember to Break The Limits!!
(that never gets old, I swear. :D)

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Thanks for the feedback, you two!

I'm really glad you like Boost-Powered Falcon so much, ESC Artiste.

Here's what I have to say about player_03's points... Sorry this got rather long -- forgive me!

First, I'm pretty sure this makes him the best character in the game.
I tried not to Buff Falcon past the likes of our current S-Tiers in 4.0BC:

Mewtwo, Lucario, Falco, Meta-Knight, Sheik, Zero Suit Samus, and Wolf.

Would you say that Boost-Powered Falcon has exceeded all of those? Don't they still fare fairly well against Falcon?

The only move that really got major Buffs was Raptor Boost, and it seriously needed the overhaul. It is not very useful or safe in default 4.0BC.

I turned Raptor Boost into a proper combo-starting move, instead of a finisher by default, because Falcon needs help getting "in" against some foes. This move is now able to plow through weak projectiles -- up to 7.5%, which is how much damage Lucario's weakest Aura Sphere deals -- so that Falcon can actually deal with zoners. Without this, I believe he is much too weak against them.

Falcon was given some official help in this department once before, in the form of Intangibility on Raptor Boost. However, it was later revoked because it allowed him to get through disjointed attacks, when it was only intended to give Falcon some aid against projectile spam. That is not a problem (as far as I know) with the 7.5% damage-based armor I added to Raptor Boost.

Let me know if there are any attacks that deal less than or equal to 7.5% damage, which you think Falcon should not be able to Boost through. Maybe those attacks (if there are any) deserve a damage Buff, rather than reducing Falcon's damage-based armor?

The main reason the damage-based armor is 7.5% is Aura Sphere, an easily-spammed move belonging to a Top-Tier fighter. If the weakest form of that attack dealt less damage, Falcon's damage-based armor on Boost could be lowered to match. The things I think Falcon should be able to Boost through are fast, spammable attacks like Falco's and Wolf's lasers, Mario's Fireballs, Pit's arrows, Samus' Homing Missiles, and the first level or two of her Charge Beam. I made Falcon's Up-Taunt have 5% damage-based armor so that it is not so easily interrupted by moves like that.

I think it's safe to say that making base Raptor Boost into a combo-starter and giving it a means to muscle through projectile spam shouldn't be too much. Falcon still takes the damage, and can still be interrupted -- just not by weak moves. What about the other changes?

On the ground, the only other changes to base Raptor Boost are it being able to cancel into Jump, Grab, and Up-Smash.
The Jump Cancel helps Falcon make the most use of Raptor Boost's momentum-granting ability. The Grab Cancel and the Up-Smash Cancel help him get "in" quickly.

In the air, base Raptor Boost gets no damage-based armor, but can Cancel into many more moves. This allows Falcon to do some fancy stuff offstage, and the Cancel into Falcon Dive gives his recovery the help it desperately needed. It also nearly eliminates occurrences of suicide by Raptor Boost carrying the Captain too far underneath the stage.

With these Buffs, Falcon's tools for escaping Neutral and starting up an offensive aren't so limited or predictable anymore, and his offstage flexibility plus recovery ability are much-improved.

The price Falcon must pay for each Boost, 3% self-damage, is a fair trade-off that keeps the move from being used too much. However, I think Falcon should not be penalized for using a Special mobility move like this three times or less per stock, so that's why Up-Taunt heals 3-9%. The Captain should have enough time in-between K.O.s to recover enough percent to effectively make the Boosts he used free, as long as he didn't spam them. The other two Taunts only received minor Buffs to make them more fun to use. These Buffs aren't consistently useful, but they make Falcon Force and the Salute do an even better job at Taunting.

As for the Charged moves... Charged Falcon Punch is still the fast, lethal PAWNCH everyone loves -- just a little slower, to accommodate some improved SFX. It now has 20% damage-based armor to make up for the speed reduction, and to cut down on instances of Falcon's Boost Power getting wasted when the Charged Punch is interrupted by a weak attack. Only Grabs and powerful attacks should interrupt it now.

I made Falcon Finish and Raptor Rush triggerable via A+B because it was too easy to use them by accident having them on B alone. If you think I've made these new moves too complicated to access, consider that it's the same input for the main three. A+B triggers Falcon Finish, Raptor Rush, and Rapid Jab. B+Z is just an alternate trigger that allows one to control whether Rapid Jab slides forward or not. Holding B to get the barely-noticeable horizontal boost on Falcon Dive is a bonus, a leftover from before Raptor Boost was Cancelable. Holding Up-Taunt to put the humorous HitBox on "Show me ya Moves" is not only a funny secret worth hiding, but it also makes the Taunt usable as a point-blank Taunt once again, without having to worry about freeing a foe from dizziness by accident. Holding Up-Taunt to use regular Falcon Punch when you have Maximum Boost Power may be the most obscure trick, but it sure is nice being able to save the Charge when you want to PAWNCH, but you don't need the speed or the damage-based armor!

Basically, just remember A+B and you're good. Not so complicated, right? The other stuff is so minor you're not missing out if you never use it -- but it's nice for more advanced players to have access to. I think you're underestimating Minus players if you limit them to strictly the simplest of inputs, like Tap/Hold variants only. Simplicity is nice, but taking just a few steps into "complex input" territory like this can be very rewarding, as long as it isn't too hard to explain. If I can answer the question "Woah, how did you do that?" with a simple "Use Up-Taunt to Charge, then hit A+B when Falcon is flashing", I think we're good. A+B is no more complicated than the old, official way of activating Boost Charge: Up-Taunt, Down-Taunt, Up-Taunt. Simplifying (while also expanding upon) that trigger is one of my favorite tweaks I made to Falcon. It's so much easier now -- as it should be, considering at least one Charged move is a major part of the Captain's Minus toolkit, which should be used often.

Third, his charge taunt (both variations) would be really good even if the only thing it did was heal. Having it heal and buff Falcon is way too much.
I believe the "Boost Charge" Up-Taunt should heal Falcon enough to allow him to use Raptor Boost up to three times per stock without any punishment. Base Raptor Boost is strong, but not so strong that it should always cost 3% self-damage with no way to offset that damage. It's a combo-starter, not a K.O. move, and it's still weak to Grabs and attacks that do more than 7.5% damage.

We know it's acceptable for Falcon to have one Charged move per stock. Falcon Finish and Raptor Rush are simply comparable alternatives to Charged Falcon Punch. Falcon Finish is the same speed as regular Raptor Boost -- it's just stronger and has Invincibility instead of damage-based armor. Raptor Rush has the same Invincibility, to prevent the awkward situation of Charged moves getting Grabbed, wasting all that buildup for nothing. Charged Falcon Punch only gets 20% damage-based armor instead of Invincibility because of its greater speed.

The Charged PAWNCH is still the most useful all-around, as it is faster and less telegraphed than the other two options. Falcon Finish can be used like a Counter to K.O. predictable opponents, and Raptor Rush is useful for quickly reaching foes who are far away. However, it's easy to Rush off into the Blast Zone with it -- remember to save your midair Jump.

For comparison, Pichu does more self-damage and heals much slower, even with frame-perfect sleepwalking.
Falcon's Up-Taunt may heal more at once, but Pichu has the advantage of being able to interrupt its Crouch immediately, while poor timing on Falcon's part will result in him getting punished. It's easy enough to slip in a Quick Charge here and there, but Falcon generally only has enough time for a Full Charge in-between K.O.s, particularly K.O.s off the top Blast Zone. You don't have to worry much about Falcon running away to heal, because 3-9% isn't enough to heal a major amount by the time enemies catch up to him... and they will, after they hear the many "Yess" / "YES" SFX. Even the Quick Charge opens a window of vulnerability wide enough for any nearby player to take advantage of. Also, choosing to keep away and heal means Falcon is passing up the opportunity to go on the offensive, which is a notable trade-off.

To end this long post, I'll leave off with some questions:

Players of other Top-Tiers, if you have a decent Falcon player to test against, how much of a difference do these tweaks make in your matchups? Would you say Falcon is now on the same level as the other S-Tiers? Has he surpassed them? Or is he still a cut below the best? I'd like to know more about how balanced Boost-Powered Falcon is in the hands of a Falcon main who plays against veteran Minus players. I did all my testing against the CPU, so any feedback in this department would be useful.

Last edited:

ESC Artiste

Players of other Top-Tiers, if you have a decent Falcon player to test against, how much of a difference do these tweaks make in your matchups? Would you say Falcon is now on the same level as the other S-Tiers? Has he surpassed them? Or is he still a cut below the best? I'd like to know more about how balanced Boost-Powered Falcon is in the hands of a Falcon main who plays against veteran Minus players. I did all my testing against the CPU, so any feedback in this department would be useful.

Screen_Shot_2017-03-05_at_7.50.47_PM.png

The buff definitely helped him, and made him a top tier character-though it's still only a buff compared to natural top tiers. Lucario, Mewtwo, and Falco can just outspace him with both projectile and stage control-Shiek and ZSS do the same to an ever-so-slightly less degree, while Meta Knight and Wolf's insane combo ability can just tear C. Falcon up like butter. If anything, I would put him at the front of A+ Tier. Everyone in A+ can still give C. Falcon a run for his money, while those in S tire makes him sweat just a bit more.

To be fair, he is a higher Tier character now, but that's what I would want from a game like vBrawl-. If all the characters from A-Tier and lower were to be given the same treatment as your custom mod, it would create so much more variance between each character while increasing the absurdity of every character's power at the same time, and I would love this to be implemented to shorten the gap even further on the tier list. In short, Boost Powered C. Falcon is fine in my eyes, and all characters A Tier and lower (maybe some characters in A+ Tier) should be given the same treatment.

ESC Artiste

Okay, so I did some testing with the AI against C. Falcon, and from what I can deduce, my assumptions were correct.

Any player who can use characters in the S Tier will give Falcon a very hard time. Combined with ranged attacks and quick combos, it can shut down him very quickly. Of course, with the custom mod, Falcon can still stand a chance with his quick rush-like attacks, but it still leaves him open if he whiffs. A+ tiers will be a fair match, and anything below Falcon will have the advantage, save for Zelda, Bowser, and Snake due to their unique playstyles being able to circumvent Falcon's rush tactics.

Of course, I have not played against actual players yet, but I plan to play against my friend who is a godlike Lucario main that I still have yet to best (The Win Ratio [Me:Friend] is usually 5:50 per day). Not to mention he can main a good portion of the cast quite well, so getting his take on Maximum Boost Falcon will be invaluable; getting a reference towards Falcon's placement on the Tier List via Player V. Player instead of Player V. AI even more so.

Will be back soon to give the results!

Addendum: If there was one thing I would change to make things more exciting/challenging, is to increase the self-inflicted damage on Raptor Boost from 3% to 5% per use. I feel 3% is too low with how often I use it.

ESC Artiste

Okay, so me and my friend (his name is Cody) played around with it, and he described it as "the best possible representation of Cpt. Falcon the dev team could ever give him without making him unfair, with some ever so light issues that could be fixed pretty easily. The complaints I'm seeing of him [he read this post] are a little unjust as there are some other characters in this game that have similar privileges, and that with enough practice, he can be heavily outspaced and edgeguarded." This seems like a lot, but I'll explain to y'all what he means like he did to me.

"First off, everything about this mod proves to me what the dev team could've done to Cpt. Falcon to make him fare much better in the meta without making him destroy everything. Not to say the dev team did him wrong, as all he needed tweaked was his recovery to be improved to avoid millions of gimps, but Cpt. Falcon should be this insanely good with weaknesses. He's even faster, giving him not only more combo potential, but approaching is made far more easier as he doesn't need to risk putting himself in danger of getting combo'd and potentially have a stock taken away from him. I love how by auto-cancelling his Side-B into anything other than itself not only fixes the recovery issue, but gives him combo game he hasn't seen since Lucario, Roy, or Wolf and thus makes him feel more like his character and from the game he came from. Not to mention, auto-cancelling a special into nearly anything isn't new-a prime representation for this is Lucario, whom I main on a daily basis and love the auto-cancelling aspect and wishes more characters could be privileged the same way. I could mention Ike's Side-B, Marth's Neutral-B, or to an extent Roy's Side-B, and some others, but by then it would be redundant. Complaining about his U-Taunt seems redundant, as there are some other characters that have a Taunt that buffs/heals/etc, and even if the heal is 3%, it's so small that it's nothing to complain about. Everything else is icing on the cake and honestly, this mod makes Cpt. Falcon feel like he should be in this Minus than 4.0BC does.

"Of course, he isn't without his faults-I'd be very upset if he didn't. His neutral game and recovery-while vastly improved, can still be taken advantage of. Due to the nature of Cpt. Falcon's playstyle, he needs to get in close in order to rack up damage and KO, making his approach game, while better, still vulnerable to characters with projectiles or longer range-none of which he has unless it's his specials, and even that's debatable. There's also the issue of his recovery still being lackluster, as gimping him is always an option due to all of his specials being offensive, leaving him vulnerable if he misses. This in turn does not make him a bad character, but an overpowered character with flaws-or in Lamen's Terms, 'Balanced'. He can finally give Lucario mains such as myself something to sweat over, as he can overpower Lucario with speed and combos, but the Aura-Sphere and U-Tilt give them something to fall back on. Roy mains however will be pleased to know that they have the best match-up against him, as Roy's neurtal game is one of-if not the best in Minus, and so is his punish/edgeguarding, allowing him to take out Cpt. Falcon easily after a whiff started or if Cpt. Falcon is off stage [to then I switch to Wolf to counter his Roy and give myself a better chance].

"The only things I would adjust is the priorities on some of his attacks-most notably his running grab and running jab. I say running because I think the speed buff somewhat makes his hitboxes or grabboxes prioritize over others, even when they shouldn't. For example, him successfully first-hit jabbing through Lucario's charged F-Smash and into Lucario himself-whist not getting hit by said F-Smash-shouldn't be happening, as the F-Smash is much stronger and thus should take priority over the first hit of Cpt. Falcon's jab. Also, his running grab somehow can extend over Ganondorf's Side-B, which is by definition a Command Grab, and grab Ganon without the Side-B ever making contact. If something like that happened in a tournament of any fighting game, not only would the crowd/commentators lose their shit in both awe and disgust, but your opponent would not be happy with what just happened. There are also tidbits of unnecessary prioritization, but those are something I can look over since they aren't too major. A lesser issue I would have is Cpt. Falcon having super armour on the beginning of his Side-B, as it gives him too much safety to what is-and was buffed to be, a good special move. Super armour in the majority of it is fine, but the beginning of it is too much to not warrant some attention.

"I mean other than that, I feel that this should be in the main game. It gives Cpt. Falcon a better fight in some match-ups while at the same time giving others a better time against him. It makes him feel more 'Minusified', as you all call it, and would certainly shake up the metagame in a positive way. It definitely gives me trouble, which I like because playing as Lucario and loving him made me realize how overpowered he was, and thus sad to how most of the cast can't compete well with him, so this kind of challenge is a change of pace that I humbly welcome. Of course, there are still some issues with Cpt. Falcon that I would like to be fixed-still can't believe that a normal grab can out-do a command grab, but other than that it's nigh on perfect. Shout outs to Bent 00 and everyone else who made this a reality, and more importantly, than you for giving my friend even more reason to main a character that he already loves and adores."

Jesus my fingers hurt, lol. But that's my friend's opinion about it. What do you all think?

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
If there was one thing I would change to make things more exciting/challenging, is to increase the self-inflicted damage on Raptor Boost from 3% to 5% per use. I feel 3% is too low with how often I use it.
Maybe if Lucario's double ExtremeSpeed had some sort of disincentive to overusing it, upping the self-damage on Raptor Boost to 4% would be considerable. However, as long as "ExtremeCheese" can be spammed as freely as it currently can be in 4.0BC with no punishment, I don't think Raptor Boost should self-damage more than 3%.

"The only things I would adjust is the priorities on some of his attacks-most notably his running grab and running jab. I say running because I think the speed buff somewhat makes his hitboxes or grabboxes prioritize over others, even when they shouldn't. For example, him successfully first-hit jabbing through Lucario's charged F-Smash and into Lucario himself-whist not getting hit by said F-Smash-shouldn't be happening, as the F-Smash is much stronger and thus should take priority over the first hit of Cpt. Falcon's jab. Also, his running grab somehow can extend over Ganondorf's Side-B, which is by definition a Command Grab, and grab Ganon without the Side-B ever making contact. If something like that happened in a tournament of any fighting game, not only would the crowd/commentators lose their shit in both awe and disgust, but your opponent would not be happy with what just happened.
I did not intentionally change any kind of "priority" with the Boost-Powered Falcon tweaks. I don't even know how to mess with priority, ha.

If there's a problem with Rapid Jab, the same problem is present in 4.0BC -- it's just easier to do sliding Rapid Jab with Boost-Powered Falcon. Only its inputs were modified; all the HitBoxes/Damage/KnockBack/etc. are untouched.

When you say "running Grab", do you mean Dash Grab? Or a Raptor Boost Canceled into a sliding Grab? Because I didn't change anything about Falcon's Dash Grab, I only made it so that he can Cancel Raptor Boost into Grab. I did not change anything on Grab other than reverting the "YES" SFX back into the "low voice clip" SFX. This problem where Falcon can Grab through Flame Choke... Haven't run into that yet, personally. I wonder what the best way to fix it would be. I could look at Ganondorf's HitBox on Flame Choke, but I don't know how to edit priority yet.

A lesser issue I would have is Cpt. Falcon having super armour on the beginning of his Side-B, as it gives him too much safety to what is-and was buffed to be, a good special move. Super armour in the majority of it is fine, but the beginning of it is too much to not warrant some attention.
Do you mean the 7.5% damage-based armor on Raptor Boost? Or the Invincibility on Falcon Finish and Raptor Rush? Neither of these kick in until frame 9 (or frame 11 in Raptor Rush's case). The 7.5% damage-based armor is there to allow Falcon to Boost through projectile spam and weak moves. If Lucario's weakest Aura Sphere was Nerfed by 1-2.5%, the damage-based armor could be decreased to match. If we're talking about Raptor Boost: Are there any moves that should stop this move in its tracks, but do not because they only deal 7.5% damage or less?

If it's the Invincibility on Falcon Finish and Raptor Rush that's bugging you, consider that without Invincibility, these Charged moves could simply be Grabbed, wasting Falcon's full Charge. That seems anticlimactic and lame to me... I made it possible to do this to Charged Falcon Punch because it's faster and less-telegraphed, so Grabbing a Falcon out of that feels more risky, and thus fair. Aerial Charged Falcon Punch can actually be positioned mid-windup, making it harder to predict exactly where it's going to land, while Falcon Finish and Raptor Rush always shoot Falcon forward at the same two predictable speeds -- all the foe would have to do is bait them out, stand still, and Grab Falcon out of them.

Just to be clear, please let me know if any specific problems are caused by changes I made, or if they are leftover problems from Brawl Minus 4.0BC.

Thanks for all the feedback, ESC Artiste and Cody!

By the way, if you happen to have saved any Replays of Boost-Powered Falcon in action, I'd be happy to see them! Not counting my own matches against the CPU, I've only seen the footage posted by Mimsy so far.

Last edited:

ESC Artiste

Okay, I see what you mean by the 3% self-damage being the most appropriate.

The running jab situation that me and Cody witnessed was when I, playing as Cpt. Falcon, ran up to his Lucario in an attempt to rush him. At first, I thought I wasn't going to manage it, as he fully charged his F-Smash when I ran towards him. I expected to get launched pretty far, but what ended up happening was that Cpt. Falcon's jab not only beat out Lucario's fully charged F-Smash, but then hit Lucario himself, and I was able to combo Lucario and take a stock off of him. Needless to say, that should not have happened whatsoever. What didn't happened that should have was Cpt. Falcon's jab should not have been able to beat out Lucario's fully charged F-Smash, let alone going through it to make contact with Lucario himself. I would have raised an eyebrow if the jab met with the fully charged F-Smash and was able to neutralize the blow, resulting in the "CLING" sound normally heard when two attacks of around the same damage ratio connect, but dismissed it as long as it wouldn't happen to often. Cpt. Falcon's standing jab is also a big issue, but that's less of the mod and more of 4.0BC doing (as you said yourself) giving him hitboxes way behind his body, an area where they shouldn't even exist.

Cpt. Falcon's running grab also has a similar issue, but in a different circumstance. He was able to, out of a standstill, run and grab through Ganon's Flame Choke-A Command Grab. I do believe you in that it may have been the game being a derp, but how in the hell does Grab Boxes prioritize of Command Grab Boxes?? Cody literally flipped a shit about that, and that was when he told me about the whole "If people saw that at a major tournament" discussion. Not giving flak to you or anything of the like, but it's something that unanimously befuddles us...

To be honest, the more I think about it, the more I feel it really is 4.0BC Falcon that these issues originate from, but because of his abysmal approach compared to the rest of the cast-along with a recovery that just plain sucks in the vanilla, we haven't been able to see these problems come to light (which makes me want this mod to be in the vanilla even more).

The Raptor Boost early invincibility issue only happens on just the Raptor Boost itself, and none of its variants. I do believe this question sums it up quite nicely:
If we're talking about Raptor Boost: Are there any moves that should stop this move in its tracks, but do not because they only deal 7.5% damage or less?
From what I remember, some of Lucario's tilt's were connecting, but didn't make Cpt. Falcon flinch whatsoever. The most notable one-by which I mean the only one I can remember at the moment, lol-is his U-Tilt, one of the very few moves that give Lucario a speed priority over Maximum Boost Cpt. Falcon. Cody noticed this, and raised an eyebrow, letting me know what just happened. I took a moment to consider it, and I believe that he is right in that it is one of the few things that gives Lucario an edge in speed over Cpt. Falcon, and thus should have the ability to use it. When I go back to his house to play some more Brawl-, I will ask to see which moves are affected by the 7.5% damage based armour.

Other than that, I think that hopefully clears things up.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Try asking a Minus Dev about those issues with Falcon's running Jab and running Grab. If they are both present in vanilla 4.0BC, a Dev can probably tell you more about them than I can -- I don't know much about priority yet.

I'll look into Boost-Powered Falcon VS Lucario (his Tilts, specifically) when I have time.

As for this...
The Raptor Boost early invincibility issue only happens on just the Raptor Boost itself, and none of its variants.

There is no Invincibility on base Raptor Boost. There is only 7.5% damage-based armor that begins on frame 9 (grounded) or frame 11 (aerial). Only Falcon Finish and Raptor Rush have Invincibility.

See for yourself:
Bit Variable Clear: LA-Float[252] = false
Asynchronous Timer: frames=8
Heavy/Super Armor: 0-3, 1-6DDD0,
If Bit is Set: LA-Float[255]
If Button Pressed: E
Bit Variable Clear: LA-Float[255] = false
Bit Variable Set: LA-Float[252] = true
Body Collision: status=Invincible
Set Edge Slide: 0-2,
End If:
End If:
Asynchronous Timer: frames=15
Add/Subtract Damage: 3
Special Offensive Collision: Id=0, Bone=0, Damage=0, ShieldDamage=0, Direction=361, BaseKnockback=0, WeightKnockback=0, KnockbackGrowth=0, Size=4.8, Z Offset=0, Y Offset=12, X Offset=8.5, TripRate=0%, HitlagMultiplier=x1, SDIMultiplier=x1, Flags=31030201
Special Offensive Collision: Id=1, Bone=0, Damage=0, ShieldDamage=0, Direction=361, BaseKnockback=0, WeightKnockback=0, KnockbackGrowth=0, Size=4.8, Z Offset=0, Y Offset=8, X Offset=8.5, TripRate=0%, HitlagMultiplier=x1, SDIMultiplier=x1, Flags=31030201
Special Offensive Collision: Id=2, Bone=0, Damage=0, ShieldDamage=0, Direction=361, BaseKnockback=0, WeightKnockback=0, KnockbackGrowth=0, Size=4.8, Z Offset=0, Y Offset=4, X Offset=8.5, TripRate=0%, HitlagMultiplier=x1, SDIMultiplier=x1, Flags=31030201
Bit Variable Set: RA-Bit[17] = true
If Not Bit is Set: LA-Float[252]
Or Button Not Pressed: 1
Bit Variable Set: RA-Bit[18] = true
End If:
Asynchronous Timer: frames=17
Allow Specific Interrupt: 0-3,
Allow Specific Interrupt: 0-7,
End If:
Asynchronous Timer: frames=35
Terminate Collisions:
Body Collision: status=Normal
Heavy/Super Armor: 0-0, 1-0,
Change Action action=118, requirement=On Ground
Bit Variable Clear: RA-Bit[17] = false
Bit Variable Clear: RA-Bit[18] = false
If Bit is Set: LA-Float[252]
Else:
Heavy/Super Armor: 0-3, 1-6DDD0,
End If:
Asynchronous Timer: frames=3
Offensive Collision: Id=0, Bone=22, Damage=5, ShieldDamage=0, Direction=130, BaseKnockback=30, WeightKnockback=50, KnockbackGrowth=100, Size=5, Z Offset=-1, Y Offset=0, X Offset=0, TripRate=0%, HitlagMultiplier=x1.5, SDIMultiplier=x0, Flags=29031085
Asynchronous Timer: frames=5
Terminate Collisions:
Asynchronous Timer: frames=6
Offensive Collision: Id=0, Bone=20, Damage=20, ShieldDamage=40, Direction=80, BaseKnockback=105, WeightKnockback=0, KnockbackGrowth=62, Size=7, Z Offset=0, Y Offset=2, X Offset=-8, TripRate=0%, HitlagMultiplier=x2.7, SDIMultiplier=x0.7, Flags=29031085
Offensive Collision: Id=1, Bone=20, Damage=20, ShieldDamage=40, Direction=80, BaseKnockback=105, WeightKnockback=0, KnockbackGrowth=62, Size=7, Z Offset=0, Y Offset=4, X Offset=-4, TripRate=0%, HitlagMultiplier=x2.7, SDIMultiplier=x0.7, Flags=29031085
Offensive Collision: Id=2, Bone=22, Damage=20, ShieldDamage=40, Direction=80, BaseKnockback=105, WeightKnockback=0, KnockbackGrowth=62, Size=7, Z Offset=0, Y Offset=0, X Offset=0, TripRate=0%, HitlagMultiplier=x2.7, SDIMultiplier=x0.7, Flags=29031085
Else:
Offensive Collision: Id=0, Bone=20, Damage=10, ShieldDamage=20, Direction=80, BaseKnockback=80, WeightKnockback=0, KnockbackGrowth=52, Size=7, Z Offset=0, Y Offset=2, X Offset=-8, TripRate=0%, HitlagMultiplier=x2.7, SDIMultiplier=x0.7, Flags=29031085
Offensive Collision: Id=1, Bone=20, Damage=10, ShieldDamage=20, Direction=80, BaseKnockback=80, WeightKnockback=0, KnockbackGrowth=52, Size=7, Z Offset=0, Y Offset=4, X Offset=-4, TripRate=0%, HitlagMultiplier=x2.7, SDIMultiplier=x0.7, Flags=29031085
Offensive Collision: Id=2, Bone=22, Damage=10, ShieldDamage=20, Direction=80, BaseKnockback=80, WeightKnockback=0, KnockbackGrowth=52, Size=7, Z Offset=0, Y Offset=0, X Offset=0, TripRate=0%, HitlagMultiplier=x2.7, SDIMultiplier=x0.7, Flags=29031085
End If:
Asynchronous Timer: frames=12
Terminate Collisions:
Heavy/Super Armor: 0-0, 1-0,
Asynchronous Timer: frames=19
Allow Interrupt:
Asynchronous Timer: frames=10
If Bit is Set: LA-Float[255]
If Button Pressed: E
Bit Variable Clear: LA-Float[255] = false
Bit Variable Set: LA-Float[252] = true
End If:
End If:
Asynchronous Timer: frames=18
Add/Subtract Damage: 3
Allow Specific Interrupt: 0-11,
Change Action Value action=112, requirement=Button Press: 1
Additional Change Action Requirement Comparison Compare: IC-Basic[251] < IC-Basic[114]
Additional Change Action Requirement Comparison Compare: IC-Basic[245] < IC-Basic[113]
Change Action Value action=114, requirement=Button Press: 1
Additional Change Action Requirement Comparison Compare: IC-Basic[250] >= IC-Basic[114]
Change Action Value action=115, requirement=Button Press: 1
Additional Change Action Requirement Comparison Compare: IC-Basic[252] >= IC-Basic[114]
Allow Specific Interrupt: 0-E,
Allow Specific Interrupt: 0-F,
Allow Specific Interrupt: 0-12,
Set/Add Momentum: Horizontal=1, Vertical=0, Add/Set Horiz=0, Add/Set Vert=0
Special Offensive Collision: Id=0, Bone=0, Damage=0, ShieldDamage=0, Direction=361, BaseKnockback=0, WeightKnockback=0, KnockbackGrowth=0, Size=7, Z Offset=0, Y Offset=7, X Offset=11, TripRate=0%, HitlagMultiplier=x1, SDIMultiplier=x1, Flags=39030201
Special Offensive Collision: Id=1, Bone=0, Damage=0, ShieldDamage=0, Direction=361, BaseKnockback=0, WeightKnockback=0, KnockbackGrowth=0, Size=4.8, Z Offset=0, Y Offset=13, X Offset=20, TripRate=0%, HitlagMultiplier=x1, SDIMultiplier=x1, Flags=39030201
Special Offensive Collision: Id=2, Bone=0, Damage=0, ShieldDamage=0, Direction=361, BaseKnockback=0, WeightKnockback=0, KnockbackGrowth=0, Size=4.8, Z Offset=0, Y Offset=7, X Offset=20, TripRate=0%, HitlagMultiplier=x1, SDIMultiplier=x1, Flags=39030201
Special Offensive Collision: Id=3, Bone=0, Damage=0, ShieldDamage=0, Direction=361, BaseKnockback=0, WeightKnockback=0, KnockbackGrowth=0, Size=4.8, Z Offset=0, Y Offset=1, X Offset=20, TripRate=0%, HitlagMultiplier=x1, SDIMultiplier=x1, Flags=39030201
Else:
Frame Speed Modifier: Multiplier=0.6x
Set/Add Momentum: Horizontal=7, Vertical=0, Add/Set Horiz=0, Add/Set Vert=0
Special Offensive Collision: Id=0, Bone=0, Damage=0, ShieldDamage=0, Direction=361, BaseKnockback=0, WeightKnockback=0, KnockbackGrowth=0, Size=7, Z Offset=0, Y Offset=7, X Offset=11, TripRate=0%, HitlagMultiplier=x1, SDIMultiplier=x1, Flags=39030201
Special Offensive Collision: Id=1, Bone=0, Damage=0, ShieldDamage=0, Direction=361, BaseKnockback=0, WeightKnockback=0, KnockbackGrowth=0, Size=4.8, Z Offset=0, Y Offset=13, X Offset=20, TripRate=0%, HitlagMultiplier=x1, SDIMultiplier=x1, Flags=39030201
Special Offensive Collision: Id=2, Bone=0, Damage=0, ShieldDamage=0, Direction=361, BaseKnockback=0, WeightKnockback=0, KnockbackGrowth=0, Size=4.8, Z Offset=0, Y Offset=7, X Offset=20, TripRate=0%, HitlagMultiplier=x1, SDIMultiplier=x1, Flags=39030201
Special Offensive Collision: Id=3, Bone=0, Damage=0, ShieldDamage=0, Direction=361, BaseKnockback=0, WeightKnockback=0, KnockbackGrowth=0, Size=4.8, Z Offset=0, Y Offset=1, X Offset=20, TripRate=0%, HitlagMultiplier=x1, SDIMultiplier=x1, Flags=39030201
End If:
Bit Variable Set: RA-Bit[17] = true
Bit Variable Set: RA-Bit[18] = true
Asynchronous Timer: frames=30
Bit Variable Set: RA-Bit[19] = true
Asynchronous Timer: frames=35
Set/Add Momentum: Horizontal=0.1, Vertical=0, Add/Set Horiz=1, Add/Set Vert=0
Bit Variable Clear: RA-Bit[17] = false
Bit Variable Clear: RA-Bit[18] = false
Terminate Collisions:
Frame Speed Modifier: Multiplier=1.8x
End If:
Asynchronous Timer: frames=3
Special Offensive Collision: Id=0, Bone=21, Damage=20, ShieldDamage=40, Direction=270, BaseKnockback=60, WeightKnockback=0, KnockbackGrowth=70, Size=8, Z Offset=8, Y Offset=0, X Offset=0, TripRate=0%, HitlagMultiplier=x1, SDIMultiplier=x1, Flags=29021085
Special Offensive Collision: Id=1, Bone=21, Damage=20, ShieldDamage=40, Direction=270, BaseKnockback=60, WeightKnockback=0, KnockbackGrowth=70, Size=4, Z Offset=-2, Y Offset=0, X Offset=0, TripRate=0%, HitlagMultiplier=x1, SDIMultiplier=x1, Flags=29021085
Special Offensive Collision: Id=2, Bone=21, Damage=20, ShieldDamage=40, Direction=60, BaseKnockback=60, WeightKnockback=0, KnockbackGrowth=80, Size=8, Z Offset=8, Y Offset=0, X Offset=0, TripRate=0%, HitlagMultiplier=x1, SDIMultiplier=x1, Flags=29011085
Special Offensive Collision: Id=3, Bone=21, Damage=20, ShieldDamage=40, Direction=60, BaseKnockback=60, WeightKnockback=0, KnockbackGrowth=80, Size=4, Z Offset=-2, Y Offset=0, X Offset=0, TripRate=0%, HitlagMultiplier=x1, SDIMultiplier=x1, Flags=29011085
Else:
Special Offensive Collision: Id=0, Bone=21, Damage=10, ShieldDamage=20, Direction=270, BaseKnockback=60, WeightKnockback=0, KnockbackGrowth=70, Size=8, Z Offset=8, Y Offset=0, X Offset=0, TripRate=0%, HitlagMultiplier=x1, SDIMultiplier=x1, Flags=29021085
Special Offensive Collision: Id=1, Bone=21, Damage=10, ShieldDamage=20, Direction=270, BaseKnockback=60, WeightKnockback=0, KnockbackGrowth=70, Size=4, Z Offset=-2, Y Offset=0, X Offset=0, TripRate=0%, HitlagMultiplier=x1, SDIMultiplier=x1, Flags=29021085
Special Offensive Collision: Id=2, Bone=21, Damage=10, ShieldDamage=20, Direction=60, BaseKnockback=60, WeightKnockback=0, KnockbackGrowth=80, Size=8, Z Offset=8, Y Offset=0, X Offset=0, TripRate=0%, HitlagMultiplier=x1, SDIMultiplier=x1, Flags=29011085
Special Offensive Collision: Id=3, Bone=21, Damage=10, ShieldDamage=20, Direction=60, BaseKnockback=60, WeightKnockback=0, KnockbackGrowth=80, Size=4, Z Offset=-2, Y Offset=0, X Offset=0, TripRate=0%, HitlagMultiplier=x1, SDIMultiplier=x1, Flags=29011085
End If:
Asynchronous Timer: frames=5
Allow Specific Interrupt: 0-11,
Add/Subtract Character Momentum: 1-0, 1-249F0,
Asynchronous Timer: frames=8
Terminate Collisions:
Frame Speed Modifier: Multiplier=1.8x
Asynchronous Timer: frames=24
Allow Interrupt:

Remember, posting video or at least Replay files when discussing gameplay problems lets everyone else see them in action, instead of having to imagine them, allowing us to understand much better what you're talking about.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
UPDATE: I added a "Video Demos" section to the bottom of the first post in this thread, with 4 new videos and a short bonus clip.

They were all made by recording a HDTV screen with a camera, so the video quality is poor, but at least you can see them now. :)

Thor

As someone who can't really play this [no CRT at the moment] but read and watched the gameplay videos, my feedback:

Assuming you want some amount of this put into vanilla Brawl Minus (aka Brawl Minus 4.0):
- Up special and Down Special changes are gladly welcomed. They can just go right in imo, even if none of the other stuff makes it. [I'm not as fond of the changes to how up special sounds/looks on hit, but I can get over it].
- Raptor Boost doesn't need to do shield damage >_> and it REALLY shouldn't be grab-cancellable q_q
- Falcon's recovery is supposed to be somewhat flawed, because he's a fast, strong, heavy character... so in light of that:
> I don't like the fact that he can jump out of side+b at will, even if he's taking damage while doing it. I'd remove that.
> I do like the idea of him being able to use boost to cancel out of raptor boost however [as well as power it up].
> I would suggest that raptor boost deals self-damage of 5% on boost use, but not regular use [no damage there].
> I would suggest regular raptor boost [grounded/aerial] only has a walljump cancel, while aerial raptor boost using boost has all the
cancels mentioned. Grounded boost raptor boost can retain the jump cancel, but should not have a grab cancel [plz no PLZ NO PLZ]
- I think a taunt that heals 3% is way too much, especially with how quickly he can do it. It should heal 1% at most [for the nod to the games].
- The taunt also should not have armor [literally doesn't need it and might get people messed up for frankly no good reason... why are you taunting when they can hit you!?]
- Indifferent to grab/pummel/jab/other taunt changes, if they work, great, but I don't think they affect much.
- I only like the new bthrow if it has average/high BKG and very low KBG, because Falcon has no business whatsoever having a KO throw [he can already tech chase or combo with dthrow and KO with fthrow just fine]. I actually like how it looks more than the old bthrow by a lot, but I don't want to see anyone getting KO'd below like 175% from his throw tbh [except on walkoffs cuz then it's funny]
- I have literally no opinion on the up smash change because IDK what it means except more horizontal range, like I don't know what that actually does balance-wise [and frankly, the move isn't exactly great so I don't particularly care either].

I think these changes [or a removal of boost entirely] would make it much more likely to get into the full version, because this seems out of line with what most of the devs seem to be pushing, and frankly very, very powerful on a character who already has an extremely potent punish game. What I've suggested seems like a somewhat more fair middle ground.

Assuming you DON'T care if little/none of this is put into the next version of Minus:

I don't see a reason to change anything, it looks great! The only thing I might consider is giving him 64 usmash since it's just a better move, or making his usmash switch to 64 usmash as a boost option! [You could also let him store two or 3 boosts, potentially, but that might get REALLY crazy...]

AGentleStar

Video Editor
If anyone would like to re-record Demos 1-4 in HD and send them to me to publish over the ones I recorded off a HDTV screen, that would be appreciated. I don't know how to record in HD straight from Dolphin yet.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/iqe2jji0effymgw/rp_170512_1516.bin
http://www.mediafire.com/file/3e8ais7ilh9e4sr/rp_170512_0933.bin
http://www.mediafire.com/file/kcwcueatdvqb7cu/rp_170512_1548.bin
http://www.mediafire.com/file/argg3e2mwbh792p/rp_170512_1553.bin

I may be able to rerecord these for you, but I'll have to get back with you on that. I'm pretty busy juggling work, college and YouTube.

ESC Artiste

Here's some videos of me fighting Lv.9 AI of multiple varieties. Enjoy!

So....Jab->Grab/Down Throw (x4)->Knee can K.O. Lucario at 25%...Also Cpt. Falcon can chaingrab. x_x

Hey, uh, Bent00. Could you give Daddy Ganon the same treatment as you did with Cpt. Falcon? Pretty please??

This ain't no Melee, Fox.

I can't even fathom how I did this two months ago. What the hell kind of drugs was I on!?

Seriously, Link of all characters made me sweat...

I'll have some videos up of me playing against Cody sometime this weekend. Otherwise, hope you all got some insight to how awesome Cpt. Falcon is. Now if you will excuse me, I need some coffee.

Addendum: if anyone would like to give out some pro tips to help see what I can do to improve my game, that would be much appreciated.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
So....Jab->Grab/Down Throw (x4)->Knee can K.O. Lucario at 25%...Also Cpt. Falcon can chaingrab. x_x
Falcon could do that even before my tweaks. IIRC, one can D.I. out of them to avoid getting chaingrabbed.

Could you give Daddy Ganon the same treatment as you did with Cpt. Falcon? Pretty please??
I'm working on it. You won't be disappointed. :)

Addendum: if anyone would like to give out some pro tips to help see what I can do to improve my game, that would be much appreciated.
Just a few tips for now, more later...

Try canceling Falcon Kick into Up-Smash or aerials.

Remember, when you have max Boost Power, you can hit A+B to use Falcon Finish on the ground or Raptor Rush in the air.

When using Falcon Dive at the ledge, you can hold Down on the Control Stick to not auto-grab the ledge, and grab an opponent standing on it instead. This is even more useful when playing as Ganondorf.

Learn how to jump and then reverse Falcon Punch so you can control Falcon's aerial movement during the windup.
What I do to make it easy is map GC X to Special, hit Y with the tip of my thumb, then hit X with the middle of my thumb, then reverse.
Try standing at the ledge, facing away from it, then doing what I just mentioned above.
You now have much more control over where the PAWNCH comes out!

If you watch the replays I posted, I tried to demonstrate most of (if not all) of the techniques I use as Falcon at least once.

Last edited:

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
So, now that Brawl Minus 4.1 is out, what do Falcon players think about the official approach VS my approach on these things?

Up-Taunt
Many less features in 4.1, and is no longer used to Charge Boost Power.

F-Air
Reverse HitBox added in 4.1. Is it useful, or a hindrance?

Neutral Special:
In 4.1, Falcon Punch is Charged via mashing Special, which IMO isn't a better solution than the old Up-Taunt > Down-Taunt > Up-Taunt method. It actually seems more prone to failure. With my Boost-Powered Falcon, you just hold Up-Taunt, and there's even two "checkpoints" in case you get interrupted. The only complaint I've heard is that someone didn't like the repetitive SFX ("Yess, yess, yess").
There's also a bug with the 4.1 Charged Falcon Punch: You can not reverse it on the ground.

Raptor Boost
4.1 Changelog:
- Damage increased to 15% total.
- KBG reduced 82 -> 62 to compensate for damage increase.
- Shield Damage increased from 0-10.

This official version is really underwhelming compared to the combo-starter setup I made, IMO.
Does anyone like anything about 4.1's version better than BPF's?

I plan to add the ability to B-Reverse Falcon Kick, like 4.1 Falcon can, and I'm going to try the new "charging" SFX and "YOU GOT BOOST POWER!!" SFX on Up-Taunt... unless anyone prefers the existing SFX? I still need to add visual polish to Falcon Finish and Raptor Rush... and I might try adding Falcon's 64 Up-Smash in... Is there anything else you'd like to see, Falcon fans?

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Here's a tiny GFX and SFX update to let you see how Elliot's new "YOU GOT BOOST POWER" line works on Up-Taunt.

Boost-Powered Falcon Beta 1.01

I think it's an overall improvement over "Yess, yess, yess", and a big improvement over "Show me, show me, show me ya moves".

I'm still looking for feedback! Replays of skilled Falcon players against skilled players of Top-Tiers would be especially useful.

Both versions of Boost-Powered Falcon (Beta 1 and Beta 1.01) work in Brawl Minus 4.0BC, 4.1, and 4.2.

By the way, thanks to all the players for 120+ downloads of Boost-Powered Falcon so far! :)

Last edited: