Brawl Minus Heartbreaker Results and Feedback!

Next tournament: Wifi or Netplay!

• Wifi deserves another chance

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Netplay, never want to touch wifi again

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Either or, same as before, man

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
First of all, a big thanks to all the participants in our first ever Netplay tournament. We're glad it worked out as well as it did!

Now for what you've all been waiting for, the results!

1st: Dusk ( :roy::gnw::ganon: )
2nd: Pin Clock ( :kirby::metaknight::ddd::mario::bowser::dk::olimar::falcon::falco:)
3rd: TheBigRedMachine ( :wario::samus: :ganon:)

What did you think of the netplay Tournament? Should we do that again? How about the stream layout? Or anything else you may want to comment on? Express your thoughts here!

Watch the tournament highlights here!

Watch the whole tournament here!

Last edited:

666DAMAGE

"SIX SIX SIX DAMAAAAGE!!"
I had a great time as usual and I'm looking forward to #4 which is hopefully coming soon, right?

On the stream side of things I cannot stress enough how much easier it is, how much better it makes the stream for viewers or how even on horrible connections you could tell there was straight up less input lag.

Do some people need to go back and make sure they're getting 60fps locally before joining online? Yes.

Even with Toon Link playing super lame time never even got close to running out unlike the first 2 because people weren't throwing up shield every 2 seconds for fear of getting hit in lag.

We saw more aggressive, smarter play on netplay for sure.

If you enjoy these I urge you to vote netplay. Make my life easier, make the stream look better and let the players play in an environment that is much much much closer to offline play.

Darxmarx

The Learning Star Warrior
This was a ton of fun to watch! Great way to pass the time when you're too sick to get out of bed.
Congrats to the top 3! Look at Pin moving on up in the world :')

Joeybeta

The birdcario community member
Playtester
Congrats to Vizro aka TheBigRedMachine for double eliminating me that tourney. I'm just glad SoCal got to shine this tourney. I had some great matches this netplay tourney. I don't think I've ever lost to anyone but Vizro so we'll see how the seeding will randomize me next tourney.

I also made this for funzies. I'm curious to how this will move in the future though by mixing ranks with multiple tourneys.
D59tJvv.png

Thor

Congratulations to Dusk. If there were recordings of the matches, I hope to be able to watch them!

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
I'm sure NetPlay is great, but not everyone has a computer powerful enough to run Dolphin. Don't drop WiFi. :/

Kymaera K1ng

A PMCC player
Please go back to WiFi! My computer sucks.

Also, why was the stream so awful this time around? At the WSB it was fine.

666DAMAGE

Please go back to WiFi! My computer sucks.

Also, why was the stream so awful this time around? At the WSB it was fine.
The VOD shows minimal dropped frames and a consistent framerate. What went wrong by you?

I know some players' computer and/or internet couldn't handle Netplay so it made things slow but the actual stream was flawless from the numbers I saw during and after.

Kymaera K1ng

A PMCC player
The VOD shows minimal dropped frames and a consistent framerate. What went wrong by you?

I know some players' computer and/or internet couldn't handle Netplay so it made things slow but the actual stream was flawless from the numbers I saw during and after.
Huh. Looks really laggy from my computer, skipping frames and such. Other VODs and streams are fine though. Maybe my computer doesn't like Brawl Minus.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
If the chief complaint against WiFi tourneys was "it wasn't good for streaming", then why not just run WiFi tourneys offstream, saving the replays of every match, and then edit the stream footage together at the end? You could ask participants to only share match results with tourney staff.

I see no reason why tourneys need to be recorded Live. It would be much easier to just compile it after it's all over, wouldn't it?

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
If the chief complaint against WiFi tourneys was "it wasn't good for streaming", then why not just run WiFi tourneys offstream, saving the replays of every match, and then edit the stream footage together at the end? You could ask participants to only share match results with tourney staff.

I see no reason why tourneys need to be recorded Live. It would be much easier to just compile it after it's all over, wouldn't it?
That would be much more tedious and demanding on our end than it would be to stream it live.

In addition, players are prone to not saving replays out of sheer habit. And then there's gathering them, organizing them, recording them...It's much more work than it sounds like.

Last edited:

666DAMAGE

It's a little more difficult/tedious (friend codes, suicides, etc) and I personally feel it's inferior to the point that I question why people bother but at the end of the day I'm just expressing my personal opinion.

That being said I never said I wouldn't do it if wifi won out. I'm a dedicated Minus Guy.

Huh. Looks really laggy from my computer, skipping frames and such. Other VODs and streams are fine though. Maybe my computer doesn't like Brawl Minus.
So I stream at a bitrate of 3500 kbps and it is a 720p 60fps stream. Unfortunately they aren't partnered on Twitch (neither am I, it's one tough nut to crack) so we don't get video quality options, it's likely your computer/internet couldn't keep up and I'm very sorry.

Can you go to speedof.me and run a test for me?

bizzozeron

Wi-fi may be more accessible but it's no gauge of skill when Brawl's wifi is and will always be a bag of trash - there's no point in having a tournament on it when it is as far from local gameplay as possible with the insane delay

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Laggy online is better than no online at all. More than a few of us can only play via WiFi, since we don't have PCs capable of running Dolphin.