Brawl Minus 4.0bc Feedback Thread

Lucis Perficio

Radiant Hero of Blue Flames
I dislike that changes which were made to Ike in 4.0B (which were not in the change list and were claimed to be added again in the following patch), were removed. For whatever reason Ike can't QD into QD on the ground like he was once able to, and can't cancel QD into eruption on the ground, which was something he was always able to do even without NSM.

I do like the dThrow trajectory being changed now, as dThrow>footstool combos are one of my favorite things about Sm4sh and it feels nice that it those things can translate into this game now.

ESC Artiste

The Pot is heavier than Ridley
Okay, so I'm making this feedback in a review-esque fashion as a non-baised Smash Bros. player. *INHALES*

To start off, Brawl- 4.0BC is just absolutely amazing. I have had more fun with it than any of the previous versions of Brawl-, and even other mods such as Project M and BB. But, it's not perfect. Now, I say that not in terms of perfecting a video game, no. I say that in terms of what Brawl- sorely needs more of. Before I get into that however, let's go over some of the reasons why this game is much better than the likes of its previous versions and other mods.

The intention of Brawl Minus, unlike Project M and BB, was to make a game that would intensify each character's traits to the Nth degree so that everything is broken and therefore balanced, and not like another attempt at making a Melee mod like Project M. It's like if you gave Brawl the freedom of GTAV along with some of its insanity, and you end up with characters having SF2 Turbo Akuma levels of power and abilities that can break dimensions. However, there was some issues in earlier versions of Brawl- that enabled certain characters to be too powerful for others, and thus becoming the Meta Knight of Brawl-. In 4.0 (not 3.0) and onward, this was primarily fixed, and the game finally showed some polish to make it feel like it's own game rather than just another Brawl mod that was attempting to gain fame like PM. 4.0BC, as the current version, is the best to date that the devs have to offer, allowing a entirely full roster with both Melee and Brawl characters in one game (finally caught up to PM in that regard). All characters feel unique in their own superpowered fashion, making the game feel like a neverending fun and wacky experience, while still feeling balanced and like a Smash game aesthetically. Even simple mechanics outside of the battle are refined and expanded to the Nth degree, making the game feel even more fluid and unique in this regard. However, there are a couple of things that the game needs in order for it to skyrocket past PM in terms of popularity-advertising and polish.

While Brawl- succeeds in being it's own game compared to both the main series and other Brawl mods, it sorely lacks the advertisement and the polish could be better. Certain characters may not play as optimally or unpredictably as they should in CPU, and the new addiction of Waluigi, while a dream come true, feels incomplete. The lack of advertisement and word of mouth accounts for Brawl- not being as known as PM or the main series, though that reason alone may also be its savior. PM was taken down in December of 2015, and support has only been coming from the fans and not the developers. With the resurgence of Nintendo allowing games to be shown online without the need for takedowns, as their new President is becoming more lenient with this, now may be the perfect time for Brawl- to come out of the woodworks and spring into action of surpassing PM. Though, this is difficult for the devs alone, as they are a small group compared to the likes of PM and HAL Labratories, making it slower for the game to make updates, whereas Smash4 and PM were pumping out updates almost monthly before they ended. On that note, since PM development was shut down, it would be a great idea to attract some of their developers to help with Brawl-, so long as they don't turn it into another PM (that's moreso for Brawl Zeus). Not only would this allow Brawl- (and Zeus inadvertently) to gain traction to add the rest of polish to the game, it would gain attention almost everywhere Smash Bros. related that PM developers are helping Brawl- developers. The hype would be insane, and the fan support would skyrocket. Unfortunately, that is only if PM developers agree to do this, or else achieving the support level that PM got may remain just a pipe dream.

Overall, 4.0BC is a solid mod every Smash Bros. fan needs to experience. It sets itself apart by not becoming a Melee mod of Brawl-, but rather a wacky and fun experience of Brawl induced with meth cranked up to 22 out of a possible 10. While there may be a slight lack of polish in some areas of the game, and developer support is small compared to other popular Brawl mods, it manages to become a unique game in itself that doesn't cater only to those who enjoy to Melee. With the promise of Brawl- 5 (or V, which I would prefer) fixing up the problems and adding the polish it needs, I cannot wait to see the heights the devs plan to take this game. It surpasses its motto with flying colors, and to this day it will always Break the Limits!

*EXHALES*
Okay, so with that out of the way, that's what I think of Brawl- 4.0BC. I'm thinking of making a logo for Brawl-5 (Brawl-V), if anyone is interested in wanting me doing it and seeing it. Otherwise, that's my review!

Last edited: