Brawl Minus 4.0 Character videos!

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
Last edited:

Thor

I like the videos, however... I think it'd be best if the combo video footage at the end was used with real people involved, not just AI. Although school is starting soonish, I'd be willing to volunteer to be beat up or beat up people, and I'd be willing to bet LB, BC, and some others would as well. Then we could just play around with the characters for a while and submit some clips.

I'm not saying this is necessarily the best idea either, but beating up AI usually impresses no one, and we generally have a large enough playerbase to where we could probably get some recordings. That said, given that this is using 4.0 characters, it makes sense that we'd either need an asterisk saying "*these are from 3.Q - expect even more devastation in 4.0!" or something.

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
I'm not saying this is necessarily the best idea either, but beating up AI usually impresses no one, and we generally have a large enough playerbase to where we could probably get some recordings. That said, given that this is using 4.0 characters, it makes sense that we'd either need an asterisk saying "*these are from 3.Q - expect even more devastation in 4.0!" or something.

The purpose is to show off combos possible in 4.0. In addition to me recording these on the spot, everyone's busy so I'd have no one to really play 4.0 with.

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
The purpose is to show off combos possible in 4.0. In addition to me recording these on the spot, everyone's busy so I'd have no one to really play 4.0 with.
The moment I'm home from Italy on Monday, I'm free for 3 weeks pretty much all day long. I'd be happy to play 4.0 with you.

Also, would the Pichu in the vid be our first look at 4.0 Pichu?

Last edited by a moderator:

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
I used to be free like you. Then I took a Warlock Punch to the Knee.

Mawootad

Minus Backroom
I think we did a bit of demonstration with Pichu in a dev stream, but since those are mia this is the first one on YouTube.

RetroStation

If it moves, SMASH IT.
Parts of Kien's Ganondorf are being implemented in 4.0, and Retro loves Kien's build [two examples being the reverted dsmash/utilt and the addition of Gerudo Dragon].

Exactly. I wasn't fond of 3.Q's dsmash/utilt, and the Gandouken was kinda meh compared to 4.0 (which, I feel, is more appropriate for him).

Thor

Exactly. I wasn't fond of 3.Q's dsmash/utilt, and the Gandouken was kinda meh compared to 4.0 (which, I feel, is more appropriate for him).

I still feel Gandouken too slow to be of any use outside of a few corner case characters (Sonic can punish the move on reaction to the startup with boost <_<) [useful against very very very slow characters on large stages, ex: Ganondorf dittos], but it's better in that it's a stronger move for edgeguarding [the wave of energy is arguably easier to avoid if you're in position to, but if you are falling in range it's harder to avoid, and unlike with the Gandouken you can't intentionally get hit by and SDI in order to up+B again] and looks cooler.

Darxmarx

The Learning Star Warrior
I still feel Gandouken too slow to be of any use outside of a few corner case characters (Sonic can punish the move on reaction to the startup with boost <_<) [useful against very very very slow characters on large stages, ex: Ganondorf dittos], but it's better in that it's a stronger move for edgeguarding [the wave of energy is arguably easier to avoid if you're in position to, but if you are falling in range it's harder to avoid, and unlike with the Gandouken you can't intentionally get hit by and SDI in order to up+B again] and looks cooler.
Also I'm pretty sure new Gandouken can't be reflected so :D

Mohl

After watching the vid, I realized something.

Gandouken has you hold B, but Gerudo Dragon is an alternate running attack. Why not have it be similar to the gandouken, only with flame choke instead? Hold B during the lunge to uppercut instead of dropping them forcefully. You could even split it a bit more from falcon's by making it uppercut even in the air.

Thor

After watching the vid, I realized something.

Gandouken has you hold B, but Gerudo Dragon is an alternate running attack. Why not have it be similar to the gandouken, only with flame choke instead? Hold B during the lunge to uppercut instead of dropping them forcefully. You could even split it a bit more from falcon's by making it uppercut even in the air.

I don't know why this command was chosen, BUT I will say your method would have two advantages:

1) There is no more "If I time this perfectly I benefit from Dash Attack's normal super armor but still get Gerudo Dragon" [this can and does happen from time to time.]

2) You wouldn't have to be mid-run or [if standing still] do a buffered dash attack [done by inputting a dash and hitting C-stick down or sideways] then quickly hold A for a Gerudo Dragon.

I will also comment that one or two times I've seen Gerudo Dragon be DI'd hard enough behind 'Dorf that he seems unable to follow up [via Bent's tweaks to Kien's build]... I may be just not using what IASA it has well enough, and it's DEFINITELY less common than the issue with utilt was, but I'll state it now just in case.

Mohl

I don't know why this command was chosen, BUT I will say your method would have two advantages:

1) There is no more "If I time this perfectly I benefit from Dash Attack's normal super armor but still get Gerudo Dragon" [this can and does happen from time to time.]

2) You wouldn't have to be mid-run or [if standing still] do a buffered dash attack [done by inputting a dash and hitting C-stick down or sideways] then quickly hold A for a Gerudo Dragon.

I will also comment that one or two times I've seen Gerudo Dragon be DI'd hard enough behind 'Dorf that he seems unable to follow up [via Bent's tweaks to Kien's build]... I may be just not using what IASA it has well enough, and it's DEFINITELY less common than the issue with utilt was, but I'll state it now just in case.
Also, you can't do dash attacks in the air. That's another one.

Mawootad

Minus Backroom
I believe we're planning on continuing to release videos, but right now we're busy prepping 4.0b for release.