Any Ike mains out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greatest_Aether

Forum Reg of sorts
If so, do you have any tips for Ike because I just realized something about my Ike:
I SUCK AS HIM.
I CAN'T EVEN BEAT 1 CPU.
AND HE'S SUPPOSED TO BE MY MAIN.
Guess I'll stick to Ness from now on...

NEWB

*checks if this is in the zues thread*

Okay! So I have a few things to point out.

Know his new attacks with eruption.

Know his helisword attack. Jump and Uair and keep holding A

Don't forget about his normal Uair! It's hitbox is kinda weird and catches people off gaurd.

Learn when to space with quick draw. Know when to cancel it or not.

Learn how to space with fairs.

Learn Nair strings/combos.

Learn the timing on his counter.

Abuse the flaming hurt boxes when NS mode is active.

Bair is his fastest aerial.

If you are going to use his down throw, learn to tech chase with it.

Otherwise, you are pretty much developing your own playstyle. He can rush down pretty well but you must not get caught whiffing moves and getting stick in endlag.

Greatest_Aether

Forum Reg of sorts
I do all of these (except tech chase dthrow-I use it for combos instead) and I STILL suck.
Good thing I'm pretty good with Ness...oh wait... Never mind.

BoltAscendent

I muck about with him, but I'm pretty terrible. Still, I have a few things.

NS Canceled Aether is bad. I can't find a use for it. It hits you hard and doesn't even hit them for much more.

D-Air, while a little odd, makes a pretty sweet meteor.

Your jab is not a bad set at all and can open to some stuff. The same for tilts.

It is possible, though not something I'd do a lot, to cancel Quickdraw into a smash, though I find jabs or f-tilt works acceptably.

As I said, I'm pretty terrible, so don't trust what I say too much, but that's a bit of help.

Greatest_Aether

Forum Reg of sorts
@BoltAscendent You're most likely better than me, and I use Aetheral Eruption sometimes like if I'm using it to recover and I also sometimes use dodge canceled QD. I used most of this stuff before you told me, but thanks anyway.

owo

protip: fight for your friends :cool:

owo

sorry man; can't really give much advice since there's no example footage or baseline of what you do know about Ike (mr. I can't even beat 1 CPU)

NEWB

Aetherial eruption is used to score late and easy kills since aether is easy to hit with.

Honestly, as I said previously, the most important thing to do with Ike is space. If you can spam well then you should not be bad at him. That would just mean you can't adapt to other people styles to space them or your combo game is a littl lack luster.

I tech chase with dthrow occasionally in order to score additional dthrows. Sometimes catches for off gaurd but kinda hard to do.

Glyph

The thing I watch for that separates good Ikes from great ones is what they do out of jab combos. The first two hits can combo into all sorts of tricky stuff, I've seen one do jab jab dtilt at the ledge for a super early kill.

Greatest_Aether

Forum Reg of sorts
Here's a replay (not a video, a bin file). Ike vs. Luigi, level 9, FD, no items and I lose.
Don't start with the irony of my name and the results.

Attachments

• New Compressed (zipped) Folder.zip
    10.2 KB · Views: 403

Glyph

I haven't watched your replay (I'm at work), but I think the best thing you can do to improve right now is play a TON of wifi games. We have some very skilled players here and even if you lose you'll start picking up new tricks every time.

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
Get wifi back and fight me again. Ike was my top main back in vBrawl.

NEWB

Well, he does seem to be able to do his trip dash attack thing but I mean I sometimes have trouble against the luigi AI when I'm playing random.

Thor

Avoid forming habits - if you always do the same thing over and over, you'll become easy to predict, bait, and be punished.

I don't know if you play Ike in vBrawl, but if you do, I find it helpful when picking up a character in Brawl- to just start by doing stuff I did in vBrawl, and slowly adding in some of the cool stuff. So if you played vBrawl Ike and were good at him, then just play him like vBrawl Ike who gets a power buff if he hard enough for now, and go from there (except of course, use his better recovery to recover safely).

More advice later if you say you never played vBrawl Ike.

Greatest_Aether

Forum Reg of sorts
Actually, I think I've gotten better with Ike. I have been training with Ike and have gotten better. I think.
Don't expect a replay, owo.
@Gold_TSG How should a 13-year-old kid like me possibly get enough money for wi-fi?

Last edited by a moderator:

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
Was just an offer lol

Status
Not open for further replies.