3.Q Pichu Feedback Thread

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Some observations:
- Pikachu can Up B twice in the same direction, but Pichu can't. Intentional?
- Up Taunt and Side Taunt have no audio.
- One of Pichu's ears twitches rapidly during Up Taunt.
- There are dark blotches on the left side of Pichu's face.
- Pichu's body looks... flabby, now.
3KU3dUj.jpg

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
Down B Hit
Will now connect with Pichu on the ground and in the air! Quote from changelog.
This isn't true from my tests.

Thor

Why we still commenting on 3.5 Pichu when the current version is 3.Q?

Just kidding. The Concept, does the down+B not connect on say flat stages like FD, or does it only not connect on slopes, OR does it not connect when Pichu is falling (obviously it won't connect when Pichu is jumping side to side - it doesn't always connect for Pikachu either)?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
A couple more observations:
- The fur texture on Pichu's face looks weird. It should be smooth.
T7aph1i.jpg
- Pichu's feet still detach from his body during some moves. D-Tilt mainly.
534FSbX.jpg

nsi4zSD.jpg

FHLPFco.jpg

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
I don't remember, Thor. When I get to my files I'll retest. If it doesn't work it'd be better, supported by statements above.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
Grraaaah dudes. This is not the Pichu bug thread. Feedback like, how could Pichu be buffed in a reasonably, Minusy way. Or... what moves work well with his kit, changes you don't like, etc. The bugs go in the bugs thread.

Thor

Ok... well, we don't like the fact that his body now looks like a yellow garbage bag. Is that better?

I still stand by putting it back to Electro-mines that don't move, but they never dissipate except when Pichu is KO'd, kind of like Stealth Rock, because as it is Pichu's thunderjolt is high risk (added percent guaranteed), low reward, which makes it not worth using.

NEWB

How much self damage do they do? They shouldn't do much self damage since they are that good anymore. Granted they were kinda broken before.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
They are still pretty good... Not sure how well you guys use Pichu but you're basically sitting hitconfirms and combo extenders around the stage.

And sure that's better. It has to do with the lighting on his model. For some reason ( I wish I knew) Pichu's thunder was hitting him as it was supposed to when I used him. Also, I think we can make them last not until he's KO'd but at least much longer.

RoboTek

I have played Pichu for a bit now. Bear in mind I am not terribly skilled. I am good enough to beat tournament-competitive players on occasion, and most the people I play with nowadays are a similar level below me. They are the sort that will practice highly technical movements on their own, but I am the sort that focuses one ideal positioning and solid basic gameplay.

For me the issue with Pichu right now is that he feels insufficient as a Minus character. His moves are not flashy or particularly powerful in any specific way. He seems highly technical without anything else backing him up. Take fox as an example, he has a range of additional gimmicks that make him interesting for all players. Pichu right now just has a notable disadvantage and nothing paired with it.

He has less mobility than Pikachu, but is lighter.

He has a mine, but it is the worst mine in the game - way below Toon link or charizard.

His down B is buggy, but even if it wasn't it wouldn't be very interesting. He lacks sufficient mobility to safely use it off-stage.

Most distressingly, he doesn't have any particularly interesting gameplay abilities at all.

He doesn't charge electricity to release in attacks, he takes self damage but isn't deadly. He cannot engage enemies particularly well. He has no real projectile play. He is not mobile.

Personally, I don't care much about appearance, but this Pichu just isn't interesting, and doesn't fit in very well with Minus in my opinion.

RoboTek

Playing Pichu a bit more I have more specific criticisms.

His jab extends significantly beyond the visual attack. Meanwhile both of his forward smash and down smash are very short ranged. This makes it very frustrating to try to play him and deal real damage.

Additionally, he takes roughly half as much damage as he deals, and he deals damage like an average character. More thought needs to be put into his self-damage mechanics, because they aren't interesting they are just damaging. His self-damaging moves are almost always so short range and ineffective that you feel bad playing him regardless of what options you choose.

His down B lacks any interesting elements beyond Pikachu's and is simply buggier.

Really he requires significant work in many ways to be a fun and interesting character.

Thor

Imo, Pichu should only self-damage on specials and not every move.

And don't add self-damage to Agility please - if that was readded it should be re-removed.

I also think Wild Charge should only do self-damage when it hits (Which is both accurate to the game, and it means Pichu doesn't have to take damage to recover, which is a good thing).

Thunder and t-jolt can do self-damage, I also wouldn't mind fsmash doing self-damage. But I like the idea of removing most self-damage (can leave on dsmash if it keeps the "false aura" or whatever it is that powers it up).

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
I wanted to ask if anyone else has any comments on 4.0b Pichu, continuing from this post:
Bent 00 said:
Is it just me, or does Pichu have...
- too many options / cancellable moves,
- too little ending lag / landing lag / openings in defense, and
- too few telegraphed moves?

It feels annoying to fight Pichu because you can't predict what it's going to do very well, and it's hard to punish it because it is so small, and rarely leaves itself open. I think the idea of "Risk VS Reward" is not strong enough in Pichu -- all of it's attacks are good, and there aren't enough drawbacks to them. Too much Reward, not enough Risk.

I still say Pichu should be a character that is challenging to win as. Mid-Tier at best...

Pichu's model still needs work, too.

However, this is the only topic in the Pichu subforum that will let me post in it. So, let's talk about it here, I guess?

Whenever I try to post in one of the other Pichu threads, the text box never loads, and I get an "Unspecified Error".

k1TUwXv.jpg

Pichu still has Pikachu's shadow, BTW.

Thor

Falcon losing to Pichu is just kind of an MU balance thing... he's a decently strong character with amazing mobility and combos, so Pichu being short seems almost necessary [he dies so easily].

If what LB said is true, all Falcon aerials are plus on shield [even strong knee? It doesn't feel that way sometimes, although that's probably the massive hitlag talking], so you could do a lot of stomp and then force a defensive option by mixing up jab vs grab. You can also air-to-air with nair [his legs are bigger than Pichu's whole body, I assume], but it's probably not an easy MU [but everyone has a hard MU or two (or is supposed to), that's usually what happens in a reasonably well-balanced game].

We should see about posting elsewhere [getting that fixed], as you pointed out.