Does ROB feel balanced compared to the rest of the cast?

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
....I'm starting to get the feeling that...this may have gotten out of hand..

Glyph

First things first, relax Lightning and Kien. That post was not a 'Glyph is great and ur bad' post. The issue is not player skill.

The problem is you guys don't know what to do against a ROB.

Kien said:
The trend here, is that you know how to go up against your 85 year main better than likely anyone else here and somehow, you think that makes him balanced.

And it does. Unbalance would be if it was absolutely impossible to consistently beat that character with two players of equal skill going at it. At this point, the reason you can't beat ROB boils down to the fact that you don't have the experience to know what changes to make to your own play. This will tie nicely into the whole 'cocky' thing though. Because yeah, I am super confident in my argument. Why?

Because I can back my case up. I needed some more words for these last few too but this counts I guess?.

These aren't videos of people new to the game, these are all either myself or the two other top players playing ROB. We get beaten by characters as low down the tier list as Pikachu, and soundly beaten by characters that can abuse how ROB functions. Mind you this is all against an even better version of ROB than the one I'm down with seeing released too, which is what always makes me inclined to push so hard to keep the old, very beatable version.

I'm also not going to address the 'ROB takes no skill' thing yet. But do note that I've mentioned it and will come back to it depending on the response to this.

Last edited by a moderator:

NEWB

Yes this has gotten just a little out of hand concept.

But yeah, that's what I thought you were getting at glyph.

Bashdemears

Jiggs2stronk
So glyph, replace ROB in your argument with vbrawl mk.

That's what I think they have a problem with.

Maybe we should just change his projectile game back to vbrawl

Glyph

vBrawl MK had no bad matchup due to overwhelming KO power, being able to live much longer than intended thanks to momentum canceling, and moves you couldn't trade with like tornado. Rob has none of those things, and has carried over all the same weaknesses that made him less threatening in brawl.

Rob is great, but so are all the A tier characters. There isn't a massive power difference between any of them, just matchup changes.

NEWB

I agree with that statement. Robs problems isn't his power, it's that he has far too much coverage and few bad matchups.

I'm not saying don't adjust rob, I'm just getting annoyed that now since all the haters (even me) have had a field day, they don't have the dignity to shut up about it and discuss things more calmly especially after learning that he will get nerfed.. This discussion turned into putting out fire.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
Regarding what glyph said about grabs, Game and Watch actually has really useless throws. None of them are guaranteed to combo with anything. Down throw can be teched and the other throws send people to far up. He can parachute on them at low percents, when it isn't lethal. Otherwise, all he can do is upb maybe or just push em up with Uair untill you can bait them into a parachute. I know he's a hard hitter, but he's a light weight. There are better glass cannons and there are better hard hitters that don't die in three hits. He is in the awkward position of not being as good as other characters at those two respects, so I think he could benefit from better throws.

That's something I needed to know. I have no experience with game & watch, but I'll test him out to find the best route to take with his throws.

First things first, relax Lightning and Kien. That post was not a 'Glyph is great and ur bad' post. The issue is not player skill.

The problem is you guys don't know what to do against a ROB.

You can say that it isn't player skill, yet you often use the argument that you're just plain better than we are (don't make me quote it). I'm plenty relaxed, just making sure that everything I say is as clear as ROBs advantages over 75% of the cast. I won't even say that I know what to do against ROB because he has so few weaknesses that only a few characters can exploit them. I hate to say it, but ROB is a completely matchup dependent character. If you aren't someone who can shut down his options you will lose 8 times out of 10. He was never too STRONG outside of lasers and Gyro's. He's kind of like Sonic in that he doesn't need power to get his kills. The fact that half of his moveset chains into fair should tell you something though.

Lightning

Ikesexual
Really..
I figured that hopefully that person would be able to see that my literal years of playing tournament level ROB were the problem he was seeing and not the character itself.
Instead we're now looking at a rework on ROB because they can't fathom that someone might be that much better than them.
People like this do not balance with gameplay in mind, they balance around what they can and cannot beat. If it were for gameplay, we'd see significant nerfs to ALL the top tiers, instead of a constant stream on only one and small touches on the others (if any at all). In a sense I guess I'm flattered, but actions show people's true intentions clearer than any words could.
.....?

And for the record, I was perfectly calm. You're last few paragraphs indicated that ROB was getting reworked because some people in the BR couldn't beat you. This is not true.
I called you cocky because of that reason. I didn't intend for it to be mean, but it had to be said because you were coming off that way. Especially when you make a statement like this:
Instead we're now looking at a rework on ROB because they can't fathom that someone might be that much better than them.
That sounded pretty cocky to me. I personally don't like it when someone is cocky.
I apologize if I offended you. That was not my intention.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
Lightning that whole block is pointed at one person only, its not a blanket statement

Which is kind of strange. Because if it's pointed at me, which it is, don't be afraid to use my name. Offending one is better than offending the masses. Luckily I won't get offended though.

Anyway, it SHOULD be a blanket statement, because I'm not the only one who thinks ROB is OP. As a matter of fact, yourself and Thunda are the only ones to say ROB may not need significant rebalancing. Though even Thunda knew that if ROB was too OP that it was his mistake.

The problem with ROBs design, is that his attacks work too well together. Standing alone each individual thing isn't OP, but when you apply all of those onto the same character you can see the problem. Imagine if Link was megabuffed to play like ROB (for those who dont know, he hasn't been buffed since the beta outside of hidden skills). At first it would look like I toned him down a bit. He'd have really fast attacks, that have good range and low endlag. He'd also have only decent KO power. But he'd be able to fire Arrows on full charge smashes (Link's NORMAL arrows kill offstage about 30% later than ROB's lasers) and when he fire's he'd be able to move immediately after effectively following his arrow. He would get his rang back the moment it was shielded, and his bombs would eat through attacks and projectiles until they blew up on their own. His bair would chain into his fair which would not KO as well but still dishes out great damage considering the low endlag and quick startup. His Dair would spike and have no landing lag... you see where this is going?

Baby_Sneak

I have thought of something while playing ROB. ROB, while better than most of the cast, plays like a dream, a mvc2 sentinel, etc... He's really like a paintbrush that you paint your playstyles onto the screen with and I really really REALLY like this feature. Same with MK, Wario, and some others. So, IMO the only thing that robs needs is tweaking, like one gyro and that's it. Then buff the rest of the cast.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
I have thought of something while playing ROB. ROB, while better than most of the cast, plays like a dream, a mvc2 sentinel, etc... He's really like a paintbrush that you paint your playstyles onto the screen with and I really really REALLY like this feature. Same with MK, Wario, and some others. So, IMO the only thing that robs needs is tweaking, like one gyro and that's it. Then buff the rest of the cast.

There are multiple reasons why we can't just buff the rest of the cast.