Roy 4.0bc Thread

ESC Artiste

The Pot is heavier than Ridley
Hello, everyone! I noticed there was no Roy thread for the latest release of Brawl-, so I decided to make one.

So, what got changed for Roy in 4.0bc? Not much really, other than everything that he needed to get buffed. I literally changed my main from Wolf to Roy upon a version change, which says a lot considering I still use Wolf (and Marth) at times. So, what happened to Roy? Well...
  • Up-Smash: It's f*cking beautiful. It has vertical hit-boxes just as high-if not higher than that of Ike's Up-Smash, and and they last surprisingly long in the end animation. Plus, it has hit-boxes behind Roy during the start-up. I get hits at times unintentionally because my opponent comes from behind to grab, and they end up getting tagged by the start-up hit-boxes. Not even mentioning how stupidly strong it is vertically, killing around 60-70 percent on some stages. There's also weird hit-boxes that send the opponent horizontally at scary speeds. Overall, this is, in my opinion, Roy's best KO option if the stage has a low ceiling blast zone.
  • F-Tilt: From what I can tell, it has less end lag, allowing Roy to get away quicker if he misses. However, the flame projectile is still short and somewhat slow compared to many other projectile users, so it's main use is for long-range poking and edge-guarding with follow-ups. It is now very good, but it could be better.
  • Tapped/C-Stick F-Air: Awkward to use, really. The F-Air is already difficult to pull of, though with some practice can be set-up to get some good combos. However, the Tapped (C-Stick) F-Tilt makes this move very frustrating, as the jump comes out too quick to follow up with something like a Neutral Air and become wide open for your opponent. If anything, I would suggest taking out the jump, and make the Tapped F-Air just have the second hit cancelled into another Aerial, thus allowing Roy to make his own variation of the Ken Combo. Otherwise, it's annoying and a needless bother.
  • Neutral-Air: My god, this Aerial is strangely powerful. Like, horizontal KO at 50 percent powerful. It's so good that it's too good. Whether that is fine with you depends on how much the N-Air hits you per match. >:)
  • Side-B: Still has the bullsh*t Spike at the 3rd Upper Swing. Though it's quite hard to land, so it can't be abused as much as it theoretically could. Otherwise, the rest of his Swings are fine.
  • Aerial Side-B: I. LOVE. THIS. MOVE. There are so many options you can take after executing this move. Along with the fact it can be done more than once as long as it's in the air (similar to Ike's Side-B), it's obscenely good, and I'm surprised nobody has figured out its potential. So, without further ado, let me introduce you to the RoyDash.
    • RoyDash/Fire Fart: Simply, Shorthop into Aerial Side-B. That is it. It's actually quite hard to execute in a match-especially with a GameCube controller (Y/X to B). However, once mastered, its applications are amazing. It acts like the Wavedash, where instead of inputting shield to slide, the Side-B does it for you, making it easier to combo. However, unlike the Wavedash, you can input Roy's aerials immediately afterwards, avoiding the risks from normally getting up close to your opponent to achieve a critical hit, allowing his aggressive fighting style to shine brighter than ever before. It also can be done twice as a follow-up on certain stages. The only downside to this is the player's control over it. Because of its behaviour similar to the Wavedash, it can lead to unwanted SD's (I have done it before, still learning to control better), so be wary of where you are on stage. Below are Roy's signature techniques with the RoyDash (all are recommended to use in a match):
      • Double Draw: RoyDash + F-Air. Edit: Not as hard to use as I thought previously, and has some nice appliactions such as racking up damage and edgeguarding. It does have limited utility, but nonetheless it works quite well for what it is. However, if the F-Air/Tapped F-Air gets adjusted like I mentioned above, this limited tech could turn into a very dangerous one (RoyDash + Ken Combo? YES PLEASE!!).
      • Critical Poke: RoyDash + U-Air. Still has limited utility like with the F-air, but is quite effective for upward poking and KGB. The Critical Poke is especially effective when juggling opponents dashing from side to side, so long as you have the control to do so. Roy's U-Air is also very strong, so you don't have to worry about not getting enough space from your opponent if their in the air. Again, limited, but is very useful for what it does, so utilize it with utmost possibility.
      • Juke Thrust: RoyDash + B-Air. Utilizing Roy's normally mediocre B-Air, the Juke Thrust creates an effective mix-up if your opponent expects an attack from the front. This is the only tech that allows for throwing your opponents off guard and making them panic, allowing you to read them like an open book. This tech is somewhat risky however, as it requires you to condition your opponent to expect a frontal attack. Nonetheless, once in your 'opponent's head', you can then read off of their panic inputs, and the payoff is huge.
      • Flame Dab: RoyDash + D-Air. Jokes aside, the Flame Dab makes his D-Air even more dangerous, as it allows him to cover more horizontal distance offstage to land a spike. Roy's fire trail also looks epic as an additional bonus. Most of the time you will be able to recover back on stage without much of a problem, even if you miss-just be wary using this tech. Nonetheless, this tech is very good offstage and on-stage as a mix-up. Not to mention Roy dabs while performing it. Edit: Upon pausing, Roy is not truly Dabbing. It's only a pseudo-dab, which I'm a little bit nettled about that-though his incredible forward momentum makes him look like he is. I'm not going to complain... ;_;
      • Quick Strike: RoyDash + N-Air. THIS IS HIS BEST TECH AS OF RIGHT NOW. Because of RoyDash's forward momentum increase, it allows for Roy's N-Air to cover more distance and if executed quick enough, can allow for both hitboxes on the N-Air to connect. Even better, your opponent is still in hitstun after the Quick Strike connects, and this tech is ridiculously fast. However, it's main drawback is N-Air's ridiculously big KGB, so follow-ups are quite difficult to perform properly. Negating that drawback, this tech is one that should be feared. Edit: this may be changed to allow for more combo potential in Quick Strike. But for the time being, USE THIS TECH.
Other than that, I believe that is all that I can cover. There are probably some things I missed, but as of now, I need some sleep. Please post in the comments below what you found on Roy to be changed, and what could be changed for the better. Thanks for reading, and remember:

ROY'S OUR BOY!!!

Addendum: I will also make an additional thread for RoyDash Tech submissions, so y'all can post some mind-blowing combo videos using RoyDash Techs and such.

Last edited:

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
Roy's sideB never got an official name but we in the BR list it as the Fire Fart when proposing changes. Not that it'd be an official name, it's just what we like to call it :p

ESC Artiste

Lol, Fire Fart. I love it.

I just called it the RoyDash because A) it's Roy dashing in air, and B) it acts similarly to Melee's Wavedash-both in appearance and in application. The only difference, as I've mentioned before, is that it tailors to Roy's aerials-his main specialty when it comes to combo potential. But Fire Fart works, too. xD

Last edited:

Dusk

Equals Trash
Playtester
Tapped/C-Stick F-Air: Awkward to use, really. The F-Air is already difficult to pull of, though with some practice can be set-up to get some good combos. However, the Tapped (C-Stick) F-Tilt makes this move very frustrating, as the jump comes out too quick to follow up with something like a Neutral Air and become wide open for your opponent. If anything, I would suggest taking out the jump, and make the Tapped F-Air just have the second hit cancelled into another Aerial, thus allowing Roy to make his own variation of the Ken Combo. Otherwise, it's annoying and a needless bother.

I'm confused on what you mean by "Tapped" no matter how you do F-air Roy can JC and follow up really well.

Neutral-Air: My god, this Aerial is strangely powerful. Like, horizontal KO at 50 percent powerful. If anything, I would have this slightly nerfed in KGB to allow for more combos. If anything, the second hit of the F-Tilt should have the KGB of Roy's current Neutral-Air. Is it fine as it is? I don't have a problem with it other than it being a bit too powerful. However, that's up to the devs. :)

SHHHH!!!

RoyDash: Simply, Shorthop into Aerial Side-B. That is it. It's actually quite hard to execute in a match-especially with a GameCube controller (Y/X to B). However, once mastered, its applications are amazing. It acts like the Wavedash, where instead of inputting shield to slide, the Side-B does it for you, making it easier to combo. However, unlike the Wavedash, you can input Roy's aerials immediately afterwards, avoiding the risks from normally getting up close to your opponent to achieve a critical hit, allowing his aggressive fighting style to shine brighter than ever before. It also can be done twice as a follow-up on certain stages. The only downside to this is the player's control over it. Because of its behaviour similar to the Wavedash, it can lead to unwanted SD's (I have done it before, still learning to control better), so be wary of where you are on stage. Below are Roy's signature techniques with the RoyDash (all are recommended to use in a match):

It also can be cancelled into a jump to mix up your approach and halt your forward momentum. You could FF(fire fart) Jump, FF away or forward to mix up your movement. It's a great movement option overall.

Double Draw: RoyDash + F-Air. Hard to use, and though it isn't as good as the other tech below, the Double Draw does have quite a bit of value once used properly. Nice for racking up damage and edgeguarding, but should only be used as such. Limited utility, but nonetheless it works quite well for what it is. However, if the F-Air/Tapped F-Air gets adjusted like I mentioned above, this limited tech could turn into a very dangerous one (RoyDash + Ken Combo? YES PLEASE!!).

I don't like any of the names you listed but for this one you could FF - Fair - JC first hit- Dair/Nair/Fair

ESC Artiste

I'm confused on what you mean by "Tapped" no matter how you do F-air Roy can JC and follow up really well.

I mean Tapped as instead of holding right on the joystick, I tap it (which I do often in serious play), thus causing that wonky F-Air JC. It's quite annoying, to say the least. The full F-Air is great once you are able to connect, but the F-Air Hit-into-JC throws me off. I had some friends (a few of which were Roy mains) use it and they couldn't effectively follow-up mid-match, and it more than half of the time caused them to lose a stock.

Nuuuu!!

It also can be cancelled into a jump to mix up your approach and halt your forward momentum. You could FF(fire fart) Jump, FF away or forward to mix up your movement. It's a great movement option overall.

I....I really like that. RoyDash, Jump into RoyDash. God, its the beginning of the Rooy's version of multishine inputs (Jump, Side-B, Jump, Side-B, Jump, Side-B, etc.) Might just call it the Wave Leap. xD

I don't like any of the names you listed but for this one you could FF - Fair - JC first hit- Dair/Nair/Fair

Fire Fart works, as I mentioned before to Pin. I was mainly creating names as if I were Intelligent Studios making new Skill names for a Fire Emblem game. But, I guess that's just me. :p

Kymaera K1ng

A PMCC player
Hello, everyone! I noticed there was no Roy thread for the latest release of Brawl-, so I decided to make one.

So, what got changed for Roy in 4.0bc? Not much really, other than everything that he needed to get buffed. I literally changed my main from Wolf to Roy upon a version change, which says a lot considering I still use Wolf (and Marth) at times. So, what happened to Roy? Well...
  • Tapped/C-Stick F-Air: Awkward to use, really. The F-Air is already difficult to pull off, though with some practice can be set-up to get some good combos. However, the Tapped (C-Stick) F-Tilt makes this move very frustrating, as the jump comes out too quick to follow up with something like a Neutral Air and become wide open for your opponent. If anything, I would suggest taking out the jump and make the Tapped F-Air just have the second hit canceled into another Aerial, thus allowing Roy to make his own variation of the Ken Combo. Otherwise, it's annoying and a needless bother.
I think I helped in buffing Roy, he really needed it :p also these changes are beautiful except...

Don't make things C-Stick/A-button specific PLEASE! I play with claw grip since it hurts my hand any other way, and it would be super annoying. But what do you mean about the tapped F-Tilt/FAir? I don't really understand your point. C-Stick FAir and non-C-Stick FAir are exactly the same, no? IDK about the tapped F-tilt tho.

Last edited:

Dusk

Equals Trash
Playtester
I mean Tapped as instead of holding right on the joystick, I tap it (which I do often in serious play), thus causing that wonky F-Air JC. It's quite annoying, to say the least. The full F-Air is great once you are able to connect, but the F-Air Hit-into-JC throws me off. I had some friends (a few of which were Roy mains) use it and they couldn't effectively follow-up mid-match, and it more than half of the time caused them to lose a stock.

By any chance you wouldn't happen to play with tap jump on?

ESC Artiste

By any chance you wouldn't happen to play with tap jump on?

Nope. I have Tap Jump off.

I think I helped in buffing Roy, he really needed it :p also these changes are beautiful except...

Don't make things C-Stick/A-button specific PLEASE! I play with claw grip since it hurts my hand any other way, and it would be super annoying. But what do you mean about the tapped F-Tilt/FAir? I don't really understand your point. C-Stick FAir and non-C-Stick FAir are exactly the same, no? IDK about the tapped F-tilt tho.

Aww, thanks for buffing our boy Roy! :D

I don't play with claw-grip, so that might be why. Also, when you say C-Stick/A-button specific with claw-grip makes things super annoying, what do you mean specifically?

The Tapped (C-Stick) F-Air is, from my experience playing with Roy, his Aerial F-Tilt. It basically is Roy's first hit of F-Air, then jump cancelled (JC) automatically (without any input). Because of that JC, it makes things very annoying to make follow ups, especially when performing the RoyDash. If the JC was taken out, then his Aerial F-Tilt could have applications similar to Marth's Ken Combo, but in a more aggressive fashion. Hope that answers your question. :)

Kymaera K1ng

A PMCC player
Nope. I have Tap Jump off.

Aww, thanks for buffing our boy Roy! :D

I don't play with claw-grip, so that might be why. Also, when you say C-Stick/A-button specific with claw-grip makes things super annoying, what do you mean specifically?

The Tapped (C-Stick) F-Air is, from my experience playing with Roy, his Aerial F-Tilt. It basically is Roy's first hit of F-Air, then jump cancelled (JC) automatically (without any input). Because of that JC, it makes things very annoying to make follow ups, especially when performing the RoyDash. If the JC was taken out, then his Aerial F-Tilt could have applications similar to Marth's Ken Combo, but in a more aggressive fashion. Hope that answers your question. :)
Please stop calling it aerial ftilt its mad confusing
Also, this doesn't ever happen for me without manually jumping out of FAir. Are you absolutely sure this is the case for you?

ESC Artiste

Please stop calling it aerial ftilt its mad confusing
Also, this doesn't ever happen for me without manually jumping out of FAir. Are you absolutely sure this is the case for you?

I've had it happen before every time I activate it, and I sure it's the case because I don't have tap jump set as "On" for my controls.

It's not Roy's F-Air, so either its his Aerial F-Tilt, or his F-Air Automatic Jump Cancel (AJC). The latter is too lengthy, so I just call it Roy's Aerial F-Tilt because you activate it with the C-Stick or by tapping the joystick really quick. As I've said for quite a bit now, serious matches tend to make my hands go into hyperdrive, so an accidental Aerial F-Tilt that could cost a stock is quite annoying. Just saying. :)

Edit: New Find in the post below!!

Last edited:

ESC Artiste

NEW FIND: The Automatic Jump Cancel only happens when Roy hasn't double-jumped. If Roy has, then he will execute a normal F-Air. Plus, when the AJC activates, Roy cannot jump in the air, as the AJC counts as a double-jump. In other words, never use the C-Stick in the air. EVER.

Last edited:

ESC Artiste

I'll see what I can do. I can't run Dolphin on this computer, as it bogs up the memory and processor really quick (had to uninstall it). I do have some replays on the Wii, so I might use a video camera positioned so that it y'all can view it. For now, don't use the C-Stick in the air.

Dusk

Equals Trash
Playtester
I only use OP when falcon doesn't cut it... *cough cough* 24/7
Falcon's OP *cough cough*. Roy is pretty good he's on the cusp of being OP. His grab could be adjusted but I think his nairs KO power is okay especially seeing that there is other ridiculous things that kill early. Besides you generally have to go offstage to get early kills with nair. Even then most stages except like Yoshi's story and Warioware they don't work until ~60% but most of the time it isn't until ~90%+ that it kills.

Mariosonicman1

the only changes id want on roy are just cosmedic ones. like his standing animation in smash 4. its such a neat looking animation.

ESC Artiste

Have you tried it with tilt stick?

*I know this post isn't directed towards me, but I like to say things so...*

Yeah, the main issue was with the tilt-stick. Very few times it will happen with the joystick, but that's only when I tap so fast that it registers as that glitch. I'm still looking into it to see if it's just me that has the glitch, or if anyone else might have the same issue.

It isn't just you. Here's what I get when I perform fair with the tilt stick:

The final one only works because I'm out of midair jumps. I also found that Roy doesn't jump if I release the tilt stick really quickly.

ESC Artiste

Seriously, I don't understand why that's a glitch, but it is. It's annoying too, as I've said before mainly because once that glitch is performed, you don't regain your double-jump, thus SD's could happen on accident. Very frustrating. However, it only glitches before the double jump, and not after.

I think what's going on is that if you press the tilt stick during a move, it buffers a jump. But the buffer only lasts 10 frames, and most tilts/aerials can't be jump-canceled that quickly, so you only notice it with Roy's fair.

What I don't understand is, why doesn't Roy's fair "use up" the input? Normally when a move starts, it clears the buffer, but apparently not in this case. Either that, or the tilt stick can register multiple inputs in one motion.

My hypothesis is, when you start pushing the stick to the left/right, it registers and starts fair. This clears the buffer, but then you keep pushing it in that direction for at least one more frame, because you aren't a literal robot. Maybe continuing to push the stick causes it to register again, and this input goes in the buffer.

ESC Artiste

It isn't just you. Here's what I get when I perform fair with the tilt stick:

The final one only works because I'm out of midair jumps. I also found that Roy doesn't jump if I release the tilt stick really quickly.

I think what's going on is that if you press the tilt stick during a move, it buffers a jump. But the buffer only lasts 10 frames, and most tilts/aerials can't be jump-canceled that quickly, so you only notice it with Roy's fair.

What I don't understand is, why doesn't Roy's fair "use up" the input? Normally when a move starts, it clears the buffer, but apparently not in this case. Either that, or the tilt stick can register multiple inputs in one motion.

My hypothesis is, when you start pushing the stick to the left/right, it registers and starts fair. This clears the buffer, but then you keep pushing it in that direction for at least one more frame, because you aren't a literal robot. Maybe continuing to push the stick causes it to register again, and this input goes in the buffer.

Most likely that's the situation. If everyone was Mew2King, this wouldn't be a problem, buuuuuut.... :p
But yeah, this glitch is just weird. My question is, why of all things would the tilt stick buffer a jump?