4.0b Yoshi. Still here, still qu.. Yoshi.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
The changes made to Yoshi in 4.0b were to put some of his ridiculous power in check. I don't believe that he was overnerfed by any means as he's still a serious force to be reckoned with. That said, I'd like to know the majority's opinion on the character, because he isn't used by many.

Kymaera K1ng

A PMCC player
I find him really boring to play since 3.Q tbh. If his FAir put aerial opponents into a "flinch" state like Melee/PM Falco's Dair, that would help.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
I played Yoshi for a while, some time ago... All I have to say right now is that he feels too "flow chart-y" to me.

Egg Roll is a little too useful, thanks to it being cancellable into so many things.

Egg Roll > Up Smash > Jump > Up Air > Double Jump > Up Air = Stock (IIRC)

Not saying that Yoshi can't be played in an interesting way (he can) -- just that his Egg Roll combos tend to get used too much (since they're so effective), and it gets old playing against Egg Roll the character. Bouncing Egg Roll is annoying to deal with, too.

My favorite thing about Yoshi is (obviously) the "Yoshi Foot".

Did you know that Yoshi's Up B Eggs can reflect things when they explode? I'm sure I had one of them spin a (New) Gandouken around once.

Last edited:

Kymaera K1ng

A PMCC player
I played Yoshi for a while, some time ago... All I have to say right now is that he feels too "flow chart-ey" to me.

Egg Roll is a little too useful, thanks to it being cancellable into so many things.

Egg Roll > Up Smash > Jump > Up Air > Double Jump > Up Air = Stock (IIRC)

Not saying that Yoshi can't be played in an interesting way (he can) -- just that his Egg Roll combos tend to get used too much (since they're so effective), and it gets old playing against Egg Roll the character. Bouncing Egg Roll is annoying to deal with, too.

My favorite thing about Yoshi is (obviously) the "Yoshi Foot".

Did you know that Yoshi's Up B Eggs can reflect things when they explode? I'm sure I had one of them spin a (New) Gandouken around once.
Wait... You're back???

Thor

Anybody else remember when that PowerUp dude thought Yoshi wasn't very good and needed armor on Egg Roll?

I find him really boring to play since 3.Q tbh. If his FAir put aerial opponents into a "flinch" state like Melee/PM Falco's Dair, that would help.

Wait is it like negative on hit at low percents on grounded opponents, or what? I doubt that's the case, and even if it is, the move is still really useful airborne and grounded at high percents... I guess this is an option, but I don't think this thread was asking for buff ideas. >_>

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
Reminder that Yoshi's dthrow combos into everything and Yoshi's usmash is impossible to beat out (maybe trade with) due to the fact he has invulnerability on his head. You know the thing that actually grows in size when he upsmashes. I'm off to see what the frame speed modifier on this move is.

Edit: the answer is 1.8 FSM. Due to the fact that the hitbox and invulnurability come out frame 3 (in reality more like frame one due to fsm not accounting for the charge up animation) this move is fucking insane. Like holy shit guys what were you thinking?

Edit 2: Yoshi's usmash startup is 8 frames which means his usmash comes out frame 8-9 (I'm not 100% sure how fsm works but to play it safe I'm saying frame 9) has invulnerability on his head and it does 16%. And it is a kill move. Plz fix.

Edit 3: after asking Thunda-Moo it comes out frame 9 or 10. Still stupid plz fix.

Last edited:

Thor

Reminder that Yoshi's dthrow combos into everything and Yoshi's usmash is impossible to beat out (maybe trade with) due to the fact he has invulnerability on his head. You know the thing that actually grows in size when he upsmashes. I'm off to see what the frame speed modifier on this move is.

Edit: the answer is 1.8 FSM. Due to the fact that the hitbox and invulnurability come out frame 3 (in reality more like frame one due to fsm not accounting for the charge up animation) this move is fucking insane. Like holy shit guys what were you thinking?

Edit 2: Yoshi's usmash startup is 8 frames which means his usmash comes out frame 8-9 (I'm not 100% sure how fsm works but to play it safe I'm saying frame 9) has invulnerability on his head and it does 16%. And it is a kill move. Plz fix.

Edit 3: after asking Thunda-Moo it comes out frame 9 or 10. Still stupid plz fix.

All of the stuff you listed about Yoshi usmash doesn't bother me to be honest.

What bothers me is all the stuff you listed PLUS I believe the move is plus on shield [unless that was nerfed in 4.0b], that is, Yoshi has frame advantage for usmashing your shield... WHY!?

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
All of the stuff you listed about Yoshi usmash doesn't bother me to be honest.

What bothers me is all the stuff you listed PLUS I believe the move is plus on shield [unless that was nerfed in 4.0b], that is, Yoshi has frame advantage for usmashing your shield... WHY!?
He does.

Turk Injaydii

Brawl Zeus Bandwagon-Rider
I'm about to start putting serious time into Yoshi because he's so fun...but UpSmash on shield should definitely not give Yoshi frame advantage; nor should any smash grant that on shield.

Thor

I'm about to start putting serious time into Yoshi because he's so fun...but UpSmash on shield should definitely not give Yoshi frame advantage; nor should any smash grant that on shield.

I would be fine with Ganondorf's usmash being plus on block as long as it has sufficient shield pushback. Most smashes, not so much.

Turk Injaydii

So I've just started labbing wth Yoshi and one of the first thing's I notice is he can't jump out of shield...unlike every other member of the cast...I'm assuming this is an oversight made by the devs of vBrawl. Can we expect to see this corrected in Minus 4.0f? Pin Clock

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
This wasn't an oversight, but an intentional thing done by Sakurai and his team, as Yoshi can't do it in any official game except 3DS/WiiU. We're considering letting him jump out of shield.

Turk Injaydii

This wasn't an oversight, but an intentional thing done by Sakurai and his team, as Yoshi can't do it in any official game except 3DS/WiiU. We're considering letting him jump out of shield.

Silly Sakurai. Crippling a member of the cast for years for no good reason. Yoshi currently struggles a bit with pressure since he can't jc into nair (a very optimal option for other characters with sex kicks). Glad Sakurai took the hindrance away in Smash 4 and I hope you all do the same in 4.0f.

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
If the decision to jump out of shield is made, I hope usmash gets a nerf since that means he can usmash out of shield. (But really though, Yoshi should be able to jump out of shield)

BC

Momentum Based Player
Playtester
Yoshi jump out of shield... Best thing I could ask for as a Yoshi main.

Also, seriously, nerf Usmash plz. I don't want to have to rely on that move for kills in close games. Lookin at my wins against Thor back in the first wifi tourney, if anyone remembers that. XD

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
Yoshi jump out of shield... Best thing I could ask for as a Yoshi main.

Also, seriously, nerf Usmash plz. I don't want to have to rely on that move for kills in close games. Lookin at my wins against Thor back in the first wifi tourney, if anyone remembers that. XD
Didn't you almost beat Thor once using only upsmash?

Thor

He can jump out of shield in 64.

Eeyup... Brought his Falco down to 1 stock and around 70% using only Usmashes. From what I remember, he was both impressed and pissed.

Because Falco is a fastfaller, the move combo'd into itself 3 or 4 times doing 60-80% the first time I'd get hit, then two or three more would seal the deal, so if I messed up like 15 times across 4 stocks, GG. The other issue was that it was safe on block, so even if I knew it was coming, I couldn't reliably punish it except with lasers or trying to time an attack against it [kinda risky].

I'm impressed the move is that useful on its own, but when you factor in that he has eggs, fair, Yoshi foot, egg roll, and every other move in his arsenal, it's kind of obnoxious lol.