A suggestion for new characters

Turk Injaydii

Brawl Zeus Bandwagon-Rider
Arguably the biggest disappointment with PM was the inability to finish the build that had 3 brand new characters COMPLETELY unique to the game. People were HYPED for Lyn, Knuckles, and Isaac. Additionally, many are ecstatic about Waluigi coming to Minus.

There's a lesson in that: COMPLETELY new characters will attract more attention to your game than rehashed ones. Characters such as Waluigi, King K Rool, Ridley, Bomberman, Crash Bandicoot, Rayman, and more all have large fan bases that have been begging for their inclusion.

And just to be realistic, who knows how long Minus development will be allowed to go on. Take advantage of the present and learn from PM's mistake of waiting too long to add unique characters. People will be much more excited over a character unique to Minus than the 3rd iteration of Doctor Mario or the 5th iteration of Mewtwo.

In closing, I hope development is going great and I can't wait to see what you all have in store!

Last edited:

Thor

I'm more hyped to see characters cut from Brawl [Roy Pichu Mewtwo], but I suppose I'm an exception.

Waluigi is also not the last character to be added. If that means Mewtwo, Raichu, or someone else... he might not be the last entirely new character, but for those of us who aren't in the backroom, only time will tell.

Also, at this point I think making a new character from scratch would take a very long time. Maybe they can make stuff faster than PM, but I recall reading PM Mewtwo took over 600 hours of combined effort [I think the total amount of time spent, aka the time each member spent all summed together, was over 600 hours].

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
Arguably the biggest disappointment with PM was the inability to finish the build that had 3 brand new characters COMPLETELY unique to the game. People were HYPED for Lynn, Knuckles, and Isaac. Additionally, many are ecstatic about Waluigi coming to Minus.

There's a lesson in that: COMPLETELY new characters will attract more attention to your game than rehashed ones. Characters such as Waluigi, King K Rool, Ridley, Bomberman, Crash Bandicoot, Rayman, and more all have large fan bases that have been begging for their inclusion.

And just to be realistic, who knows how long Minus development will be allowed to go on. Take advantage of the present and learn from PM's mistake of waiting too long to add unique characters. People will be much more excited over a character unique to Minus than the 3rd iteration of Doctor Mario or the 5th iteration or Mewtwo.

In closing, I hope development is going great and I can't wait to see what you all have in store!
I'm making "Minusified" Lyn and Knuckles Movesets for BrawlEX and I hope to release the Knuckles moveset by the end of this week. Hopefully that will tide you over.

Turk Injaydii

I'm more hyped to see characters cut from Brawl [Roy Pichu Mewtwo], but I suppose I'm an exception.

Waluigi is also not the last character to be added. If that means Mewtwo, Raichu, or someone else... he might not be the last entirely new character, but for those of us who aren't in the backroom, only time will tell.

Also, at this point I think making a new character from scratch would take a very long time. Maybe they can make stuff faster than PM, but I recall reading PM Mewtwo took over 600 hours of combined effort [I think the total amount of time spent, aka the time each member spent all summed together, was over 600 hours].

I wouldn't be surprised if Mewtwo took that long, creating characters from scratch is a lot of work; which is why clone characters exist, quick, easier way to buff a roster's size.

I know that the Minus team has respect for PM's work and doesn't want to be viewed as "vultures," but I wonder if they would consider approaching the former PM dev team to inquire about their thoughts of the work they put into Knuckles, Lyn, and Isaac being used in Minus. Right now, no build including the 3 of them is respected in tournament play...which means all that work is simply going to waste; and that includes the alt costumes that were made for ZSS and Roy. Can you imagine the HYPE the inclusion of official Minus versions of Knuckles, Lyn, and Isaac would bring? IT WOULD BLOW THE LID OFF!!! lol...

As I said though, I would definitely want the Minus team to check in with former PM devs and ask about it. They're cool people and fellow modders. I'm sure they would be happy to let a smaller dev team such as the Minus dev team get a head start on some new characters.

Last edited:

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
I wouldn't be surprised is Mewtwo took that long, creating characters from scratch is a lot of work; which is why clone characters exist, quick, easier way to buff a roster's size.

I know that the Minus team has respect for PM's work and doesn't want to be viewed as "vultures," but I wonder if they would consider approaching the former PM dev team to inquire about their thoughts of the work they put into Knuckles, Lyn, and Isaac being used in Minus. Right now, no build including the 3 of them is respected in tournament play...which means all that work is simply going to waste; and that includes the alt costumes that were made for ZSS and Roy. Can you imagine how HYPE the inclusion of official Minus versions of Knuckles, Lyn, and Isaac would bring? IT WOULD BLOW THE LID OFF!!! lol...

As I said though, I would definitely want the Minus team to check in with former PM devs and ask about it. They're cool people and fellow modders. I'm sure they would be happy to let a smaller dev team such as the Minus dev team get a head start on some new characters.
They did ask the PMDT for stuff although idk what came out of it. There are former PMDT members working on Minus so for all we know they are being included on the roster. Especially since all the hard parts are done (animation etc)

Turk Injaydii

They did ask the PMDT for stuff although idk what came out of it. There are former PmDT members working on Minus so for all we know they are being included on the roster. Especially since all the hard parts are done (animation etc)

YOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! GET HYPE!!!!! I won't go spreading around that Knuckles and the gang are coming in 4.0f, but I'm SOOOOOOOO praying of it now! lol

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
YOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! GET HYPE!!!!! I won't go spreading around that Knuckles and the gang are coming in 4.0f, but I'm SOOOOOOOO praying of it now! lol
I'm still planning on adding a Knuckles to the game but it will unfortunately be unnofficial.

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
If you have skills, why not put them to use and help the Minus dev team? Were you involved previously and stopped?
I was once on the video producing team but I've never been on the dev team proper. If Knuckles goes well I'll apply with that on my resume.

snidbert63

Certified n00b
If they added Rayman, I'd forgive them for not adding Ganondorf.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
I can confirm that we were rejected in our efforts to have Lyn, Knuckles, and Isaac in our mod. As for creating characters from scratch, there's a lot of time involved yes, but at the same time it's also a manner of "does anyone feel like doing it?" It takes significantly longer to create a character when you have an entire team but no one really wants to create said character. That all said, I'd be most hype for Vaati (a popular, purple clad, magic using Zelda villain for those who don't know)

Farkus

Retired
I can confirm that we were rejected in our efforts to have Lyn, Knuckles, and Isaac in our mod. As for creating characters from scratch, there's a lot of time involved yes, but at the same time it's also a manner of "does anyone feel like doing it?" It takes significantly longer to create a character when you have an entire team but no one really wants to create said character. That all said, I'd be most hype for Vaati (a popular, purple clad, magic using Zelda villain for those who don't know)

If there was any Zelda villain that I would want in Minus, it would be Demon Lord Girihiam.

Turk Injaydii

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! Those dirty devils!!!!! Its just a ton of hard work that is going to waste, gathering dust, *insert another cliché saying implying uselessness here* ...technically since it's a mod...ya don't have to ask...but why would they care if you used it?...those jerks.. :'(

Well...I guess yall could make you're own versions of them. You've already got character models for Isaac and Lyn to work with thanks to their assist trophies, and Knuckles has his character trophy. Am I correct in assuming you all can use those as a base for a playable character? If so, seems like that would be the best starting point for choosing who to add to Minus since you'd already have a model...or you could just be awesome and warp a Knuckles model into CRASH BANDICOOT AND MAKE MY FLIPPING DREAMS COME TRUE!!!!!!!!!! :D lol

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
Technicalities don't really justify using someone else's work without permission for a somewhat large-scale mod (not large in PM's sense, but not just some random assortment you can find on brawlvault). They put the time and effort into coding and rigging those characters, and if they don't want others to use it, that's simply on them. We can't just go around their wishes.

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
Technicalities don't really justify using someone else's work without permission for a somewhat large-scale mod (not large in PM's sense, but not just some random assortment you can find on brawlvault). They put the time and effort into coding and rigging those characters, and if they don't want others to use it, that's simply on them. We can't just go around their wishes.
This pretty much. It's fine to use something if permission is granted but in PM's case permission can't or won't be given so it's case closed end of discussion.

Turk Injaydii

I already knew this and stated that I wouldn't want you all to used their work w/o their permission.

... I wonder if they would consider approaching the former PM dev team to inquire about their thoughts of the work they put into Knuckles, Lyn, and Isaac being used in Minus...As I said though, I would definitely want the Minus team to check in with former PM devs and ask about it.

^... Later I mentioned the technicality, but I was in no way serious... Which is why I followed that statement with an emoji and suggested yall make your own versions someday.

Last edited:

snidbert63

Certified n00b
If there was any Zelda villain that I would want in Minus, it would be Demon Lord Girihiam.
If there was any Zelda villain that I would want in Minus, it would be the Demon Lord Ganondorf. Ganondorf, contrary to popular belief, is not actually in Smash Bros. "Ganondorf" in Smash is actually an F-Zero character disguised as Ganondorf.

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
Turk if you want to call me a terrible person and want me to feel bad you should just come out and say it. Don't play around with my emotions like this! I can't handle the stress!

TheSocialZombie

I don't know about the community, but I would like to see Dr Mario, or Paper Mario. Perhaps Lucina or Roy too. Geno could be there, but I wouldn't really care for it. I'd really like to see these characters, as well as some others (*cough* Dragonite *cough*) in the next update of Brawl Minus.

Mergerman

I haven't really seen much about this on minus forums, I would LOVE just 1 Megaman Character, whether it be Megaman, Or X(for some reason I feel Like Megaman X would be fitting in this game)

I already have a pretty good idea for movesset for X

Aside from that, probably Ridley, as obvious as it is, and maybe Ryu would Be nice.

Buuuut, I know creating New Characters Take forever, so not necessarily expecting them anytime soon, especially with so little demand for the characters I want.

Last edited:

GJA

Spam Account Marked for Deletion
May I ask a question? Who thought it was a good idea not to include 658.png

Survivian

The Rando-Est of Brandos
Minus Backroom
Is there a good Greninja PSA out there?
Is there something that we can build on?
Greninja will probably never be in Brawl Minus.
There’s literally nothing except nothing to work with.

GJA

Spam Account Marked for Deletion
Is there a good Greninja PSA out there?
Is there something that we can build on?
Greninja will probably never be in Brawl Minus.
There’s literally nothing except nothing to work with.
I applied for [PSA Coder] can you help me make a PSA for Greninja.