You're too weak!

QuestioningLogic

The Fastmaster
I'm a total newcomer to Minus, and, as you can probably tell from my profile pic, am a Sonic main.
I've mained him in vBrawl, PM, and Sm4sh, and I'm really excited to learn him all over again in Minus.

I was surprised to see the discussions revolving around Sonic on these forums, such as the down air argument, and the 4.0 Boost changes.
He doesn't seem to he very popular, or very high on any "tier lists" I've seen for Minus.

I know that his combo game is ridiculous, and that the speed of said combos are nigh-unmatched.
I also know that he doesn't have very good kill moves, which I have noticed already in the small time I've played his Minus version.

But in my small time playing him, Ive realized that he is a annoying character.
Not that he's annoying, per se, just that that's how you're supposed to play him.

I personally think Sonic works best as a rush-down character, not an annoying hit-and-run.
I was wondering if anyone had some really good ideas for changing him to make him feel on par with the others.
I have a few, but they're not fully formed yet.
I'm just curious, feel free to discuss!

Thor

He was low on tier lists because none of us had really realized how ridiculously hard he actually is to hit. You can rushdown, but just running away and poking forever is stupidly effective as Sonic [you can literally punish Ganondorf's Warlock Punch startup on reaction from almost anywhere on screen with good use of Boost and Spring, as an example].

Part of this low-ranking is due to Wi-Fi lag issues hampering the few Sonics we have, and they also were sometimes relatively inactive.

But as Marth, the sting of 200 fairs (or probably like 130 or something) will kill someone in Melee, so if you can land 200 fairs without getting hit and you choose not to, you're actually doing it wrong [since landing damage + not getting hit is literally the best way to win - it's just freaking hard to do that, and admittedly it's considered "boring" or "lame" by many people]. Sonic sort of has that option due to his obscene burst mobility [with both boost and spring] and toning boost down is actually a way to make him more rush-down oriented since it's not so easy to run away forever and ever vs slow characters, then punish them for committing to anything and proceeding to run away for the remainder of the match.

I'm not sure I actually answered the OP, but it feels tangentially related and I don't mind throwing my thoughts out there.

QuestioningLogic

The Fastmaster
Thank you, Thor!
I never really thought of it like that.
Probably should've, but I didn't.
Shows what I know, hehe.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
Talking about Sonic being bad? He's really not. The problem is, that his play style offers a ton of mixups but his KO options are stupid limited. So while you can use boost to start or extend combos, you can't reliably finish outside of bair, smashes, or bthrow/fthrow at an edge. Of course with the proper boost, bounce boosting, sonic can juggle with uair to score off the top KOs pretty easily, but that's about it. You can play it really safe and run around to try and land down smashes or up smashes, or you can just dupe someone into getting offstage. Homing attack true combos into all aerials from what I've seen. That includes dair.

Thor

I might slap together a combo video in a while. It'd just be me playing my roommate, probably, since I don't like playing Sonic on wifi.

I like Minus combo videos. Please do.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
To be fair, I haven't fought Valravn. He might be a better Sonic.

Gifted

The Mother Fucking Queen
No matter which Sonic I use.
Minus. Project M, Brawl DX. Balanced.
I always go with Full Throttle Sonic, myself made by Waveshocker Sigma.
The combo game and everything, matches on par with Minus, I believe. And feels more fluent.
Only main issue, is his Forward Air.
He does an Axe Kick spike and can kill at very low percentages, if off stage.
Besides that. I think FullThrottle is very good.
Has a boost, but does no damage. Though it allows me to rush behind the person, turn and give them a nice forward smash in the face.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
Aside of Minus Sonic, I've found Sdoom's Burst Sonic to be the most fun. Either that or Zeus Sonic.

Gifted

The Mother Fucking Queen
No lies. Burst Sonic is fun. But I don't like how there are a few times I go to recover by doing Forward B, and end up going to my death, to to the charge up.
Plus the Charge Up is extremely powerful. Well worth the charge.
But it would be better if instead of charging in Mid Air, to do the normal Forward B that Sonic has.
Just my thoughts.