X Tournament Series :: The Farewell Chapter: Eirin

Doqtor Kirby

Resident Design Nitpicker
Minus Backroom
prqhgn.png
Source: http://forums.mcleodgaming.com/viewtopic.php?f=102&t=43184
Hey guys, it's Doq. This intro is going to be significantly longer than past ones, and for a good reason. After months of contemplation and regret I have finally gathered enough courage and determination to finally do what I've been wanting to do since the 2016 Season started...

The X Tournament Series is being discontinued. That one sentence alone was really hard to type. After having run 17 monthly events for SSF2, Eirin being the 18th, it's time to finally throw in the towel and send the Series off. Since the 2016 Season started I've had more than my fair share of issues maintaining it; and I can't keep up anymore. This being my only solo project; I ran the event, streamed the event, and even played my heart out. But as graduation approaches I know I can't keep doing this.

The X Tournament Series lost its spark. A long time ago, for that matter. After the 2015 Season ended it basically turned into a meme and people stopped playing. My aspirations in the community to have the premier tournament series was ruined. Or rather, I already lived that out and it's being replaced now by better-run events.

My time as the leading TO has ended. When I started the X Tournament Series, I just wanted to do a service for the community to guarantee at least one tournament per month; two alongside Smash Island. Because of that service, no monthly was cancelled since the Series started. Even when I couldn't personally run it myself (Kisume and Clownpiece), when I abandoned it halfway (Seiran), and even when I changed the format because few people joined (Satori), each and every monthly event ran until the end. But as more and more issues arise I start to question my position as a promient TO. And thus I decided to drop it.

I ruined the X Tournament Series. Everybody knows that. I started ruining it when I added Touhou Project characters as both tournament names and "mascots". But that's only the beginning of the stack. I began seriously enforcing the replays rule. I changed the stagelist 5 times. I changed the seeding method. I adopted new controversial rules. And above all I became one of the naziest TOs in the history of SSF2. I didn't want that but that's what it led to.

This is the last tournament in the Series. Additionally, the X Summer Bash will be rebranded. To what is still up in the air, but I'll think of something. Smash Island X: Act II will still be a thing, however.

Let's send this series off with one hell of a showdown.

Thanks for sticking around for so long. It meant a lot.
~Doq <3
X Tournament Series :: The Farewell Chapter: Eirin :: Brawl Minus Event
Saturday, 28 May, 2016 :: 11:47 AM PDT 2:47 PM EDT

Brax :: Chat :: Smash Flash 2 Event
_________________________________________________________________________________________________​

Basic rules:
  • 4 stocks
  • 7 minutes
  • No items
  • Dave's Stupid Ass Rule (DSAR): You can't pick a stage you won on in the set
  • Sets are best of 3 games, winners, losers, and grand finals are best of 5. Salty Suites are best of 7 unless specified otherwise.
  • Game 1 characters are double-blind. After game 1, the loser of the previous game announces the stage choice, the winner announces a character counterpick if desired.
  • f a desync occurs, the match is replayed. If continuous desyncs occur, the player with the most stocks and least percent wins. If there is a discrepancy, it's the TO's decision.
  • If timeout occurs, the player with most stocks/least percent wins. If there's same stocks and percent, see me.
  • In all cases of discrepancy, the ingame Results Screen decides the winner. If Sudden Death occurs, same stock/percent rules apply.
  • Stalling is banned. This should be pretty self-expanatory.
  • Gentleman's Clause is allowed. All rules can be thrown out the window if both players agree.

Stage Legality
3 Stage Bans in the counterpicking process
Starter:
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Pokemon Stadium 2
  • Smashville
  • Fountain of Dreams
Counterpick:
  • Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
  • Spear Pillar
  • Lavander Town
  • Castle Siege
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Halberd
  • Warioware

Send out the Series on a hype note for me. <3
_____

Bracket: http://x-series.challonge.com/eirin_m
Time: 28 May 2016, 11:47 PDT [GMT-08]
Congregation: irc.stormbit.net #brawlminus

Full details on bracket page.

Last edited:

Doqtor Kirby

Resident Design Nitpicker
Minus Backroom
Well. This is it.

This is the first Minus tournament where I ran into problems. Ideally this shouldn't happen but it did and I guess that's how it is. You guys gave me my happy ending, something Flash 2 couldn't do.

#ThankYouMinusCommunity