Won't Leave Stage Builder

Hey, I am having trouble loading Brawl- 4.0b. I have a 2 GB SanDisk SD card that I have been using for both Brawl- 3.5 and Project M (hackless for both). When I load Brawl and go to the stage builder, nothing happens. There are no stages, and the screen shows an SD card is visible. I am not sure what the problem is, and I do not have enough experience to know how to fix it. I downloaded Brawl Minus today.
This is what I have been doing:
1. I download Brawl- 4.0b
2. Unzip and copy contents to empty SD card.
Am I missing something? What else do I need to do? These are the same steps I followed for getting both Minus 3.5 and PM to work. Thank you for your assistance, and I apologize if this is a super easy fix.

Mawootad

Minus Backroom
Couple of things to check, first make sure you have the right file structure. When you open up your sd card you should have the folders apps, private, and codes plus some other files. If you only have a folder called brawl Minus you extracted the files wrong, extract the files in the brawl Minus folder to the root of your sd card. If you only have the private folder you downloaded the hotfix instead of 4.0b. If you have all three folders try applying the hotfix in the download link and trying again.

Thank you for your response. The file was extracted correctly based on your reply. For the hotfix, I am not experienced in this type of thing, so pardon me for asking...How do I apply the patch? Do I just replace the Codes and Private folders on the SD card with the folders from the Hotpatch? Also, is .DS_Store important?

Thank you! So is the patch set up where I can just paste right onto the root level of the SD card, or do I need to go into each folder/file and overwrite manually?

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Thank you! So is the patch set up where I can just paste right onto the root level of the SD card, or do I need to go into each folder/file and overwrite manually?
You should be able to just Copy and Paste the hotpatch files straight onto the root of the SD card, and overwrite the pre-existing files.

Mawootad

Minus Backroom
If you're using a Mac then you'll need to jump through hoops because lolmacs, but otherwise you can just drag and drop the entire folders.

Optronixprime

Yeah I'm having a similar problem. Can't get past stage builder and this is what my root of SD card looks like. Its a 2gb SD card btw. I ran the SD card with project M before and it was fine. Also downloaded Brawl - around 1 week ago so Not sure what I am missing or what happened in between.
upload_2015-10-31_18-57-55.png

Optronixprime

I downloaded the 4.0b version. Also I thought the hotfix was already in it, since it said to download the hotpatch if you downloaded before (insert date here). Yeah I tried the hotfix, it still didnt work apparently