We may have a fox grab infinite on our hands

daftatt

Grab, downthrow, immediate jab reset, regrab. If they SDI out of jab just regrab with dash grab.

My roommate and I tried all sorts of stuff but couldn't get out of it. Although it is really hard to space consistently since hitting Z too soon will do the second jab, I'm pretty sure it's an infinite. Trying to SDI until 300% a couple times was a no go.

EDIT2: Teching does work, kind of tricky though if the fox is on point.
EDIT: Teching was a no go either, the jab came out before we could tech and would reset us.

Last edited by a moderator:

NEWB

You actually can. This is common knowledge to most long time members here.

Either that, or you are the first people to be absolutely frame perfect, doing the jab the instant it is possible. It could also be that everyone here sucks at teching it. The devs have never said it was or wasn't a chain, though mech is in the back room so that may be clarification right there.

Thor

If it is like Melee, it can be teched before Fox can do any action (and if Fox jab is not frame 1, shine is faster for this anyway...). Or else you found someone with Falco dthrow and Fox on the receiving end type shenanigans, because in Melee Fox can't tech Falco dthrow (but he can escape followups, which would be different). Did you do this with all characters?

Incidentally, if you DI the throw properly, you can force Fox to pivot jab, which may help the situation/prevent the infinite. Unless that was also not taken from Melee.

P.S: Keep in mind that the teching window is 20/40 - you get to tech for the next twenty frames, but you can't input a tech for the next 40, so pressing the tech button, say, twice a second, will prevent you from teching at all. I don't know how teching works in Brawl-, but I will also ask if you/your friend was mashing tech instead of trying to time it.

Valravn

I am the aforementioned roommate, and I tried both mashing tech and trying to time it. I also tried to SDI the combo to no avail. (Even going so far as to try quarter-circle DI when regular SDI failed.)

We did a fair amount of testing this with Ganondorf, Sonic, and Donkey Kong. I don't know if we were frame-perfect with it, but we must have been close. Whenever there was even a little bit of a timing error on the side of Fox, the other character could break out with tech, but otherwise it was pretty brutal.

SAHunterMech

CQC Apprentice
Minus Backroom
I just tested this myself, and, there wasn't a single instance where I wasn't able to tech out. I was mashing A as Fox, and timing the tech as perfectly as I could with Bowser. Basically, as long as you tech as soon as you can, you'll be safe.

I tested it initially at 1/4 speed, and then at regular to make sure. I think the problem here is that the tech window for the throw is deceptively early. I will say this though: The scenario itself is at Fox's advantage. He can mash A to jab, and as Thor said, the opponent can't do the same with teching. It's... a little dubious, but if you practice teching that one move, you should be okay.

SAHunterMech

CQC Apprentice
Minus Backroom
At normal speed, not necessarily, but when you're at 1/4, trying to see if it's frame perfect, I think it's the best way to go.

Thor

Mashing... shouldn't really matter if one is buffering it properly...

but yeah, can still tech out of Fox dthrow. They didn't somehow make his dthrow grossly overpowered (it's annoying to tech out of in Wifi though).

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
Mashing... shouldn't really matter if one is buffering it properly...

but yeah, can still tech out of Fox dthrow. They didn't somehow make his dthrow grossly overpowered (it's annoying to tech out of in Wifi though).
Yeah, depending on the lag you may have to press L before he even grabs you. And yes, I tested this.

daftatt

Yeah it is techable, what was happening is my roommate couldn't figure out the tech window. But I had him doing it to me and I was able to tech it. Still, I got the timing down pat and its' super easy to get like 5-8 in a row

NEWB

Has to be practiced then? I know I don't see it happen. That is mostly due to lack of fox players though.

SAHunterMech

CQC Apprentice
Minus Backroom
Well, I picked him up a week ago, and he's definitely staying on my roster. I'll see if I can do it.

Thor

If you tech you tech out before Fox has any IASA frames (or before he's open), this infinite doesn't exist unless your opponent can't tech for their life, but it's not technically an infinite then.

Valravn

Yep, practiced it a bit more and it's not that hard to break out of. Main issue was trying to tech with L after setting L to function as A. It turns out that one cannot actually tech by attempting to jab while in hitstun. Annoying, but definitely not an infinite.