WALUIGI WAVEALED!

Pin Clock

Project Leader
Minus Backroom
WAAA!

Waluigi
joins Brawl Minus! Swim in midair, breakdance on the ground, play tennis with attacks, and do so much more with our first new character, with huge props to Marioking64DS and KingJigglypuff for permission and assistance in the Minusification process of this character!

WAAtch Waluigi's trailer here!

And now, for the Minus artwork of some of the things shown in the trailer! This is my first time showing off finalized Minus portraits, so I hope you enjoy the new style! If you'd like to see more of my art you can follow my art blog here:
http://pinclock.tumblr.com/

61b30750df.png

4feb45160d.png

Stay tuned for more news

Last edited:

Mario3785

Enjoyer of Ironic Memes
I was so desperately hoping for this to happen. I was even contemplating making a poll here about who the community would prefer: Waluigi or Mewtwo.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Is "Break it until it's Better" the new official Minus slogan?

It went from "(If it's Broken,) Break it until it's Fixed" to "Break the Limits (of Brawl)" and now back to the original, save one word... Huh.

Doqtor Kirby

Resident Design Nitpicker
Minus Backroom

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
This is actually an abridged revision of the original slogan from the way back days when I was actively modding.

Source: http://web.archive.org/web/20100510042615/http://www.smashmods.com/forum/page/bmabout.html
"If it ain't broken, break it until it gets better. If it is broken, act like it isn't and break it until it gets better." That one was a mouthful.

Hmm. I think I liked "Break the Limits" better, for the current design philosophy anyway. Less subjective. and two words shorter. It implied that the devs are Breaking the Limits of Brawl, but not to a ridiculous degree (which is accurate). "Break it until it's Better" would be more appropriate if the devs were more generous with Buffs, but there hasn't been a major Power Creep in a long time. Not saying that's a bad thing, just that since the days of Brawl- MAX, we've seen much more Nerfing and Tweaking than we have Breaking. "Break it until it's Fixed" was a good fit for the original attitude of Minus, and it was a fun oxymoron -- but at some point the focus shifted from Fun Buffs to Serious Balance.

What we have now feels more like Brawl± to me, but I digress... Waa.

Thor

The original slogan was awesome. Our new one sounds like Cloud Strife waiting to happen.

Actually that might be awesome in Minus, but I also think it might actually put the mod at risk [or at least under scrutiny], given recent DLC.

I talked to some original devs recently [dude by the smash tag of Xyless, I may send him on FB to maybe message Brawl Minus his opinions if current devs are interested], and he liked some design choices I mentioned [giving him an overview of 4.0... he told me he's a real big fan of I think 2.1?], but didn't like others. I have no idea what he'd think about Waluigi, although if I had to guess it's his kind of thing [he plays Wii Fit Trainer and "Knuckles" in Smash 4 lol].

Destructo

Failure Incarnate
Soooo, where'd that Luigi skin come from? Is the Community cbliss project still alive? I've made so many Roy textures, it's not even funny. I digress, though. Waluigi looks fun to play. Is he gonna be the last character? Or...

Will there be others?

Also, did you draw those Minus portraits at McDonald's?
Cause I'm lovin' 'em.
Seriously, they're a huge step up from previous portraits. You even added textures for them! I'm sorta conflicted, though, because while I feel happy for you, I'm madder that I can't figured out how I could trace a pic of mine in MS Paint or somethings and put that in as a portrait.

Last edited:

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom

Neville

GG M8s
Minus Backroom
Did you mean to quote Pin? I wasn't on the team until 3.5/Q.
I could have sworn you were on the dev page on the old site waaaaaaaayyyy back. Mist've gotten you mixed up with someone else

Edit: It was Glitch.

Last edited:

Destructo

Failure Incarnate
I'm still waiting for Axl Rose Wario to be announced as an alt.

If Waluigi is getting an alternative outfit when he comes out, can we expect everyone else to get 1 other alternative outfits as well?

Destructo

Failure Incarnate
If Waluigi is getting an alternative outfit when he comes out, can we expect everyone else to get 1 other alternative outfits as well?
We're getting WAY more than that. We're making our own costumes to put in the next build via The Community cbliss Comp! Anyone can make their own skin and enter it, and provided it's good, it'll get into 4.0! Too bad it hasn't been updated in a while. I made a bunch of Roy skin that I worked hard to make beautiful.

WINK
WINK
NUDGE
NUDGE
PUT MY STUFF IN PLEASE I HABE A CANCER BOSS

Destructo

Failure Incarnate
I just noticed it now, and it seems no one else mentioned it, but CHARIZARD HAS AN ACTUAL DOWN B OH YESH

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Some people aren't going to like Luigi's 4 Dress costumes. Will they be able to replace them with more classic Luigi costumes, and still be able to play with people using vanilla 4.0f without causing desyncs in WiFi or Netplay?

Mawootad

Minus Backroom
If you don't like skins in Minus you can replace them as you normally would with any other skin without causing desyncs in Wifi. Netplay is a bit more finnicky, as differences in skins can cause or make more likely desyncs, but you can always just not use the skins; they don't replace any skins Luigi currently has.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Personally, I don't want Drag Luigi in the game at all, because I don't think any costume slots should be of a character pretending to be a completely different character. Wearing only another (related) character's colors on your own model is one thing, but that Peach outfit is like giving one of Luigi's costume slots to Peach -- are you also going to give Peach a Luigi outfit?

If you ask me, every costume slot a character has should be a costume that represents a Classic version of that character. Anyone even remotely familiar with video games should be able to look at it and say "Yep, that's classic Luigi". Not, "Eh? Why is Luigi dressed like Peach? Is he...?"

I also think the Minus Dev Team should stick to their "NO MODEL SWAPS / heavy vertexing" rule for costumes.
Any suggestions or advice?
Definitely. Textures based on the character's source, Nintendo, or video games in general are a good idea of what to aim for. Failing that, making textures that simply look awesome will work just fine. Also, this is important, but NO MODEL SWAPS. Only retextures and little vertexing, at the very most. Think the Koopalings and Alph in SSB4, and that's how far we'd go.

Pin said you don't want "Brawl Vault Quality" in Minus, but Drag Luigi looks like he came straight from there (no offense to Brawl Vault). This is an example of Breaking the Limits on Silliness. Is that really what you want Minus to be known for? Being silly? I thought we were (mostly) past that.

Besides, Princess Luigi just doesn't translate well to a 3D model. In both the Super Mario Adventures and the SuperStar Saga appearances, Luigi's Peach disguise was good enough to fool Bowser & the Koopalings / Bowletta & Fawful, but the version you're planning to include in 4.0f wouldn't fool anyone.

Also, consider this: Making it into Smash Bros. is like being invited into the grandest tournament ever. If you were invited to such an event, and were told you can bring 10 outfits, you'd want each outfit to represent YOU at your best, wouldn't you? Would you bring along an old Halloween costume? To Luigi, that Peach costume was just a means to an end. It was a disguise he used to trick the enemy out of necessity. Even if he ended up enjoying the cosplay session, Luigi only dressed up in drag twice (in canon): once in SuperStar Saga, and once in Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door. Both times were done out of necessity, not because Luigi wanted to. I think it's safe to say that Luigi would not bring along the Peach disguise to a Super Smash Bros. Tournament -- not even the Minus version, which gets goofy quite often.

Last edited:

Sammi-husky

Scientist #1
Minus Backroom
Cross posted because whoops i shoulda replied to this one

Dress Luigi isn't just thrown in for no reason. It's a nod to a well known glitch in brawl that resulted in Luigi looking like he was wearing peach's dress. On another note entirely, Bent, we put in Luigi's alt costume because we as developers wanted it. If you don't like it, im truly sorry. Make your opinion known and move on.

We love everyone's feedback, but unless there are legitimate gameplay concerns, it's not going to be changed. The game is made by us first and foremost, because we love making this game. The community developed around that because they liked it, not because we catered to them. You can't expect to agree with everything we do, and we can't expect you to like everything we do either. We love feedback, and we go out of our way to make sure as many people are happy as possible, but we've already made our decision long ago on this matter.

I realize this is the custom mods section and not specifically related to minus, but you are coming off slightly condescending and felt the need to respond.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Here's a Cross-Reply for your Cross-Post:
On another note entirely, Bent, we put in Luigi's alt costume because we as developers wanted it. If you don't like it, im truly sorry. Make your opinion known and move on.

We love everyone's feedback, but unless there are legitimate gameplay concerns, it's not going to be changed. The game is made by us first and foremost, because we love making this game. The community developed around that because they liked it, not because we catered to them. You can't expect to agree with everything we do, and we can't expect you to like everything we do either. We love feedback, and we go out of our way to make sure as many people are happy as possible, but we've already made our decision long ago on this matter.
"Brawl Minus: BY the Devs, FOR the Devs". That should be the new slogan. Har har.

I realize this is the custom mods section and not specifically related to minus, but you are coming off slightly condescending and felt the need to respond.
Kindly point out where I was condescending? I tried to keep my points fact-based.