twitch.tv/olympiasmashers stream going live when this post is 4.5 hours old

How slow?

• Too slow!

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Way too slow!

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Stop showing everyone my poll responses, Kevin!

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

Valravn

twitch.tv/olympiasmashers

My roommate daftatt and I will be playing some Brawl Minus this afternoon. (3 PM on the west coast, ~5 hours from this posting.) Characters you can expect to see:

Mine: Sonic, Lucario, Sanic, Dedede, Meta Knight, maybe Ganondorf, Peach, Ike.

Daftatt: Captain Falcon, Fox, Marth

Let us know if there's anything you want to see or find out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Valravn

I'm hoping to show that Sonic's Boost is not overpowered as it is, and should only be changed in minor ways. My roommate and I both agree that Sonic is an intimidating character to play against, but he doesn't have unlimited options to win a match and can be dealt with.

I'm also hoping to get some sicknasty Dive Kick spikes. (Which I think are powerful in a Falco's-Melee-Dair sort of way, and not impossible to evade if you DI properly.)

NEWB

May or may not be able to see it.

Part of the issue wkth it is that his boost has no commitment and he can make across the stage edgegaurds for free. I mean, I guess just play your usual way and we can judge. It would of course be best if the stream can be archived as this is important. His dmash is also virtually unpunishable.

Valravn

Part of the issue with it is that his boost has no commitment.

I feel like that's very akin to saying 'No defensive options stop Gandouken.' Sure, you can't roll away through it, you can't spot dodge it, and you can't shield through it. That's technically true, but doesn't tell the whole story. You can avoid Ganon's projectile or stuff the windup. Similarly, Sonic does have to commit. You cannot possibly win without approaching. If you fuck up your approach, you're going to get hit. If you manage to get out after failing to get in properly, the only thing you can do is approach again. If Sonic had any reason to play defensively and camp, I could see a problem. He doesn't have projectiles to poke with.

At least at Smash in the Woods, time-stalling has never been a problem. If people actually played for money, I could see a whole lot of problematic characters. There are tons of characters in Minus that can just run away for 8 minutes after landing a hit. I don't know why anyone would be motivated to stall an 8 minute timer. If someone made a habit of doing that in each of their matches, I'd DQ them.

I don't think anyone's good enough at Sonic to pull off a perfect evasion. You're going to get hit and die at some point if you never commit to attacking.

Anywho, we might start a bit early. (In ~10 minutes.)

Valravn

Stream's over for today, we'll probably do it again sometime. With that, I should have enough stuff to put together a video for Sonic and Captain Falcon. (With perhaps a few other clips thrown in. There were some Fox moments for sure.)

justadood

Just a dood with ideas
could you record a little and keep it in the OP? i don't think i'm able to see these streams live

Valravn

I'm editing down the video for some highlights. The whole video is ~3 hours with some downtime, so that'd be the most boring feature film of your life.