The "You got outplayed" Thread

Doqtor Kirby

Resident Design Nitpicker
Minus Backroom
Exactly what this thread is for. There are quite a few jank/cool/coincidental things in Minus that make it what it is (not really but it solidifies what Minus is), and here is where they all belong. Something happened to you or someone else? Mechanics? Characters? Anything!

I have a few of my own

If you get Wall-of-Pained, you got outplayed
If you get stage spiked by Marth's upsmash, you got outplayed
If you get Warlock Punched offstage...

...either the Ganon has no idea what he's doing, or you got outplayed. Badly.
All versions are viable. GO!

Darxmarx

The Learning Star Warrior
If Roy fully charges his Flare Blade and hits you with it, you got outplayed.
If a Waddle Dee gets hits by the lava in Lavaville/Norfair and is sent hurdling towards you, causing you to get launched sideways, you got outplayed.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
If you get Warlock Punched offstage...
...either the Ganon has no idea what he's doing, or you got outplayed. Badly.
Getting hit by the official Warlock Punch offstage, which is a guaranteed suicide if you miss, is beyond "disrespect" or "getting outplayed".

It's an insult. The Ganondorf player is so much better than you, he can throw away stocks carelessly and still win. A match in which this happens is probably a game between two players of vastly different skill levels. The target is wasting the Ganondorf player's time, and 'Dorf is throwing that fact in his face by even trying to land such a suicidal move. Ganondorf is wasting his foe's time as well; he's just trying to show off instead of actually teaching the other player something by fighting seriously. It's not even satisfying for the target if the Ganondorf player misses; he just dies instantly, leaving the opponent to contemplate how little you respect him while he waits for you to respawn. Awkward.

Relevant quote:
@BC and I played with the [non-suicidal flying Warlock Punch] for a while, and not only was it tremendous fun, but when one of us [...] used warlock punch [...] to attempt the KO, we didn't just SD, but managed to get dair'd for doing something stupid - much more satisfying on each end, really.

In my experience...

Landing a non-suicidal, viable flying Warlock Punch is cool, and elicits a "wow, that was awesome" reaction, the same way a flying Falcon Punch does. You threw out a move that was very unlikely to hit, but it wasn't an entirely unreasonable choice, being non-suicidal -- the possible OHKO and style factor made it worth the risk. If you did miss, the opponent wouldn't mind; Ganondorf just opened himself up to getting spiked or gimped, or at the very least, he gave his foe a free pass back to the stage.

Landing a suicidal-on-whiff, terribly-unviable flying Warlock Punch gets no applause at all. Everyone looks mortified at how you humiliated your poor opponent, who is likely to stop playing right then if he has any pride at all. If you show any sign of glee, even a little smirk, you look like an ass who's really full of himself.

In case it's not terribly obvious, all of the above post is an elaboration about:
How getting hit by flying Warlock Punch is "Getting Outplayed", the subject of this topic.

More examples of getting outplayed:
- Luigi spikes you with his taunt
- Mario gimps you with FLUDD or his Cape
- Falcon lands three sweetspotted Knees on you in a row
- Link lands reverse Mortal Draw after pulling you in with Gale Boomerang
- Falcon tells you to Show Him Your Moves, then immediately lands a flying Falcon Punch on you
- Zelda tricks you into getting hit by the second Din's Fire(ball) by getting you to dodge the first one
- Snake finishes you off with C4 off the top, a Nikita missile from the sky, his Box, or a Grenade he tricked you into catching

Bent 00 received a warning and ban threat for this post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Momurderer

Bazooka Koopa
If you have Dedede in a grab at the edge of the stage and a waddle dee walks off a platform and lands on you KOing you while you have a hold of D3. Basically anything with a waddle that gets you on it's own accord while you weren't paying attention.

BC

Momentum Based Player
Playtester
If D3 hits you with a Gordo in the first second of the game, you got outplayed.

Gold_TSG

Can't stop The Dorf Train.
True story: Fighting Sheik on FG in smash 4 as Dorf, baiting her dair, and responding with a WP for the match. That is how you outplay.

BC

Momentum Based Player
Playtester
If DK hits you with a barrel at any time, you got outplayed.
If DK's Fair sweetspots your shield and bounces him up, you got outplayed.
If DK hits you with a combo starter(over half of his moveset), you got outplayed.
Actually... I DK hits you with literally anything, you got outplayed, since you're most likely going to take upwards of 70-80%, or most likely lose a stock, because of how weirdly DK's KB works. XD

Lucis Perficio

Radiant Hero of Blue Flames
Some of these aren't really being "outplayed" like being hit with DK's barrel, or with his fair on shield.

If you catch DK's fair, burying you, and then catch another continuous string of fairs followed by a Giant Punch, you got outplayed.

If Ike nairs you across stage into his jab-cancel dtilt meteor, you got outplayed.

Mohl

Getting 3stocked by mario backthrow to fair means you got outplayed.

Then again, everyone I fight gets outplayed because I only fight computers.

Thor

This thread can easily be simplified to "If you got hit, you got outplayed." And some of this stuff isn't even being outplayed. It's just RNG or pseudo-RNG.

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
I remember this one from back in my day:
If Pit sends you offstage, and you try to recover, but Pit "cat-swipes" (dTilt) you, which 10 times out of 10 sends you to your immediate death, you were a victim. I'm unsure if you were outplayed, but you were a victim and I promise that I'm laughing at you.

Baby_Sneak

if you get hit in the neutral, you got outplayed

Takoy

If your opponent manages to tech a warlock punch and then win, you got outplayed HARD.

A buddy of mine managed to tech my Warlock Punch at temple, bringing him to 800%. He proceeded to jump off the right side to jump down to the caves of life, and proceeded to miss the input of his up-b and die.
He outplayed me, then outplayed himself

Demopot

Meme Rapper
If you get hit by the [9] after G&W locks you with a series of failed Judges, you got outplayed. Hard.