The future of Minus

CaptainEllipsis

Graphic/Character Designer
Looking through the forums, and chat, 3.Q seems to be somewhat divided; half good, and half bad. So I'd like to ask, y'all specifically, what changes do you want to see in the next minus release? I think it'd be easier to keep in here, so everyone can get a chance to debate on who actually needs nerfs, and who needs buffs. And also important, who could use a total rework or rebuild from an older version (I'm looking at you Samus). Suggestions such as global gameplay, stages, CSS design, etc, can go here as well.

Be sure to justify your reasons, and not just name a cool idea.
I may edit this to add generally approved suggestions, and make it easier to keep track.

AeroIncarnated

The Only Hero
I suggest a completely new CSS design the current design is just not as good as the rest of the game and can be unappealing to new players. Like sometimes when getting a new guy to play they would say "Why would I want to play this it already looks worse than brawl." A design similar to PM's rotating background or the Grid CSS made by Shun_One would be preferred to make the overall game look better. People will always judge a book by it's cover. It could be the next GOTY but it the game case is covered in shit I don't think anyone would want to play it..
L2lM4Mr.png
I choose these designs because they are the nicest looking and easiest to edit. The one we have now are similar with not having name tags but the character's face is simply doesn't look that good and it's obvious the picture was taken from in game. And in game pictures never look as a CSP on a icon. I only suggest this change cause it would make Minus as a whole look alot better and i'm sure others will agree the CSS could be better. This will probably be the only real suggestion on something other than the characters. :D

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
For starters...

Ganondorf:
Revert his Up Tilt and D-Smash to 3.5 versions.
I haven't given the new moves much of a chance yet, but I really liked them the way they were before 3.Q.
Make Warlock Punch and Gandouken useful offstage.
The second link in my sig leads to a balanced version with no cancels.

Pin, please don't ban me again for this Warlock Punch suggestion. Ellipsis asked for suggestions, and this is my biggest one. My intent is not to advertise the tweak I made, it's to make offstage Warlock Punches and Gandoukens useful offstage. It's really dumb IMO that they're suicide moves as-is. They should be more flashy, less reliable finishing moves. We all agree that Falcon should be able to do Flying Falcon Punches, right? Ganondorf should be able to as well. Come on, this is Minus! 'Dorf should have this.

If multiple devs (at least 2 serious 'Dorf mains) can give the "Safe Flying Warlock Punch (and Gandouken)" tweak a fair try, and honestly tell me that no form of it deserves a place in Minus, I'll shut up about it for good outside the Off-Topic subforum.

I'll post more suggestions later.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doqtor Kirby

Resident Design Nitpicker
Minus Backroom
Purin
  • Get rid of the downward momentum attributed to dair. Too awkward even for it's purpose (to cancel into other aerials, iirc)
  • Make upair actually hit upward. It's stupid that upair hit more downward than even dair does.
Global
  • Moonwalking. Can you guys do it?
More to come.

Bashdemears

Jiggs2stronk
Okayokokokokokok. My thoughts on the puff have been the same for awhile.I swear I will keep saying this until someone proves me wrong. Most of jigglypuffs moves are outclassed by fair, bair, nair, ftitl, dash attack, and fsmash. Maybe sing as well. Every other move she has only does what these moves do but worse. You guys keep saying utilt is good but I fail to understand why go for something so risky when you can stay safe with a bair, nair or fair. ( and get the job done just as good or even better.)

There are several characters that I feel were near perfect in 3.5 and only needed some minor tweaks or buffs to make them super solid. Though I can only list the ones I actually played.

Falco ( revert lazers to 3.5)
Lucario (Has alot of similar problems of ROB but takes alot of skill. Back throw on a ledge should not kill as early as it does.)
MK ( the removal of fthrow sword is gud news)
Marth (I mean he mostly got cosmetic changes so I guess hes fine.)
Fox
Wolf ( 3.5 lazers were a very good, not very spamable spacing tool. Great for following up on combos, gr8 4 evrythin m8. Wolf can't even auto cancel slow lasers. Shine isn't jump-cancelable which makes it a little hard to follow up on combos that involve shine. )
Olimar ( had some pikmin OP-ness going on. A good handful of characters couldn't shake the pikmin off very well.)
Link ( As far as I understand, Kien was the only one who wanted those link buffs. Pin and glyph told him no more than a few times.)
Zelda ( Am I the the only one who plays with a Zelda that two to three hit zero-deaths everyone? The distant hitboxes not only do crazy knockback but they hit towards Zelda. All in all I'd get rid of being able to teleport on shield, making the distant hitboxes to more damage but nerf hitstun and knockback. Give the hitstun and knockback to the upclose hitboxes while nerfing the damage. Otherwise, there would be no reason for a player to try and use the upclose hitboxes because the distant ones outclass them. Uptilt also has like insane range.)

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Zelda ( Am I the the only one who plays with a Zelda that two to three hit zero-deaths everyone? The distant hitboxes not only do crazy knockback but they hit towards Zelda. All in all I'd get rid of being able to teleport on shield, making the distant hitboxes to more damage but nerf hitstun and knockback. Give the hitstun and knockback to the upclose hitboxes while nerfing the damage. Otherwise, there would be no reason for a player to try and use the upclose hitboxes because the distant ones outclass them. Uptilt also has like insane range.)
I may be biased, being a Zelda main, but I think she is GREAT as-is, and should certainly not be Nerfed. The only move of Zelda's that needs fixing is her ranged D-Tilt hitbox; it does not work properly when she is standing on a slope/incline/stairs/etc.

In my experience, newer Minus players have a harder time against Zelda than other opponents because they have to learn the character more in-depth. Her ranged hitboxes don't give any warning, so you're going to get abused by them if you don't memorize where they are. Versus other opponents, they rely on visuals to give them an idea of where a hitbox will appear. Many of my opponents don't have the patience to learn how to play against Zelda, but that doesn't mean she should be Nerfed. My best local player can handle her just fine as Mario, Luigi, or Falco.

Shield those ranged hitboxes and punish if she warps to you. Edgehog Zelda whenever possible, but don't stay below her.

There's a sweet spot where Zelda's ranged hitboxes can't hit you: Between the ranged Jab and Ranged F-Smash. Try to get in there and pressure Zelda into making a mistake you can punish. Don't let her put distance between you!

Zelda's close-ranged options are very limited. Predict that Up Smash or Down Smash and Punish.

NEWB

The problem with oetting Uair for Jiggs hit up is that it would allow rest combos. The devs don't want rest combos and neither do I. Rest is too strong for that. Devs also don't like true combo OHKOs and this would end up being one of them.

NEWB

As for my approach to minus, I'm very flexible. I don't see any reason to go back to old versions of fighters completely. I will look at some new moves though.

Ganon's utilt doesn't appear to be as useful as advertised. This needs tweaking but does not need reverting.

His new dsmash is good. I don't know why people would complain here. Dsmash is now a combo finisher and a better disrupting move. Ganon also gets a faster attack that hits behind him which is super good for someone who wants to get people off his back. The move is also hella strong so please keep this and tweak utilt. The only true complaint I have about it is that it makes no sense. How do spam your foot into the floor, creating a shockwave behind but not in front of you? While fully functional, this attack looks extremely stupid.

I like Ike in general, but razing eruption doesn't feel like it belongs. Not sure if I want to keep it or not.

I have no idea why wolf got a slow laser. I don't get how it's used yet either.

I like Mario's new fire brand. It is amazing cuz it has armor now.

I can usually get behind whatever the devs end up doing. I sound like I always think devs did the right thing but I'm never opposed to just reverting moves to the way they were.

Bashdemears

Jiggs2stronk
The problem with oetting Uair for Jiggs hit up is that it would allow rest combos. The devs don't want rest combos and neither do I. Rest is too strong for that. Devs also don't like true combo OHKOs and this would end up being one of them.

Well there needs to be like two or three percent-specific rest combos. Otherwise, its very hard to land it. Rest is meant to be an early KO option. The setups should be DIable and stop working after certain percents. I think one that works in the 30-40% range and another that works in the 70-90% range too. 70-90% I think is really great range to add a rest- KO option. She could use at least one onstage realiable KO. (fsmash, usmash, dash attack aren't very reliable imo.

Her jumps... god. I feel she could stand to lose two or three jumps. Maybe revert back to 5 in favor of faster horizontal and fastfall airspeed

You shouldn't be letting jiggs stay so close to you in the first place...

Bashdemears

Jiggs2stronk
Well its not like jiggs has trouble getting you offstage where she can kill you in five different ways at any percent. That's worse in terms of balancing. I find myself only using rest when I'm styling on you hoes. Rest, given its power and utility, needs like one or two combos. It's not like Jiggs doesn't die at 40% (with bad DI) and isn't outright demolished by anyone thats good at keepaway or has really fast attacks.

NEWB

But absolutely everyone in the cast is susceptible to her combos, barring Jiggs herself and I think wario cus his aerial movement.

Bent 00

Longtime Limit Breaker
Revisiting Ellipsis's TAS thread reminded me -- there is ONE change I'd like to see on Zelda, just for fun: Ranged grabs.
You could just have the ranged grab box in a very impractical spot, like wayy out in front of Zelda where none of her other moves reach...
I wouldn't want her to sacrifice anything to get them, though.

Oh yeah, I also hope to see her aerial Transform become cancellable, since Sheik's version is.

NEWB

Ranged grab boxes would be broken though. Otherwise, they would be put somewhere random that would just look weird.

NEWB

Also bent, you are supposed to back your suggestion properly not just throw out a buff because you think it's cool. That's what the op says.

DubLTeamz

Master of Arbitrary Opnions
Tried out the new Utilt with my brother, and found it isn't very useful (Granted, we aren't be the best, but still).

On Mario, it doesn't kill (without DI) until 150%, from the center of FD. So it isn't a kill move, considering its range.
At 0%, if Mario DI's behind Ganon, (Barring extremely bad play on Mario's part) there is no way for Ganon to follow up. Any higher damage, and Mario flies further, so no follow ups from 0% to 150%, which kills (If you don't DI). If Mario DI's away (Forward), Ganon can indeed follow up with Uairs and Fairs. Otherwise, characters lighter than Mario are pretty much safe from Ganon's Utilt. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

On Bowser, (The largest, heaviest character) it preformed exactly the same. At 0%, Bowser DI's behind Ganon, and it becomes impossible for Ganon to follow up. And Bowser doesn't die till 200% (Without DI, I believe).
So, Ganon can't combo out of Utilt on ANYBODY (Once again, barring bad plays on the part of the defender). While it does do 15% (With three hits I think), it has to short range to be a kill move either. Correct if I'm wrong, as I think it LOOKS cool, but is virtually useless.

Ganon's Dsmash.... It looks..... Weird. Maybe make the area it hits have a purple cloud of smoke or something, but right now, it just looks.... Bad. Sorry.

Bent, tried your flying Warlock Punch, I like it. Good job. (My opinions probably not worth much, but oh well :p)

REVERT ICE. I MUST HEADBUTT PEOPLE TO DEATH. <-- Just to clarify, Lucas Uair is less amazing now. It makes me sad.

Make Link slow again...... I hated fighting him before, but it got significantly worse..... Or nerf his projectiles, so he can't camp so well.....

An actual change, and not just gripes. Olimar's Pikmin. Instead of them being OP Spammy projectiles, (Which are awesome) what if they had set KBG? (Hope that's the right term) So instead of being direct KO tools, they would be for starting or finishing combos?

Thor

Was gonna post my own ideas, but I read the rest of the thread, and have some explaining to do to a certain Jigglypuff.

DubLTeamz said:
Tried out the new Utilt with my brother, and found it isn't very useful (Granted, we aren't be the best, but still).
On Mario, it doesn't kill (without DI) until 150%, from the center of FD. So it isn't a kill move, considering its range.
At 0%, if Mario DI's behind Ganon, (Barring extremely bad play on Mario's part) there is no way for Ganon to follow up. Any higher damage, and Mario flies further, so no follow ups from 0% to 150%, which kills (If you don't DI). If Mario DI's away (Forward), Ganon can indeed follow up with Uairs and Fairs. Otherwise, characters lighter than Mario are pretty much safe from Ganon's Utilt. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)
On Bowser, (The largest, heaviest character) it preformed exactly the same. At 0%, Bowser DI's behind Ganon, and it becomes impossible for Ganon to follow up. And Bowser doesn't die till 200% (Without DI, I believe).
So, Ganon can't combo out of Utilt on ANYBODY (Once again, barring bad plays on the part of the defender). While it does do 15% (With three hits I think), it has to short range to be a kill move either. Correct if I'm wrong, as I think it LOOKS cool, but is virtually useless.

This was my EXACT experience with utilt, and just on a level 3 AI in training, which usually has ZERO DI - this move is bad, and needs fixing.

In regards to your Olimar suggestions, I wouldn't mind seeing the KBG on those things go down - given how quickly they explode at high percents, I wouldn't mind seeing them not KO lighter characters until like 170%, and even higher on fatter characters (whites excluded from this of course, because the meteor should stay awesome). I would still like them to KO for Olimar though, but that's a personal thing, and the devs might like your idea.

Okayokokokokokok. My thoughts on the puff have been the same for awhile.I swear I will keep saying this until someone proves me wrong. Most of jigglypuffs moves are outclassed by fair, bair, nair, ftitl, dash attack, and fsmash. Maybe sing as well. Every other move she has only does what these moves do but worse. You guys keep saying utilt is good but I fail to understand why go for something so risky when you can stay safe with a bair, nair or fair. ( and get the job done just as good or even better.)

Said it before, I'll say it again; utilt is way good, it's one of her best moves (better than ftilt I'd say) - none of the moves you listed combo into rest nearly as quickly or with Jiggs facing backward - the only thing that arguably might is fsmash -> jab reset (so jab is not outclassed either) -> Rest, which I appear to be the only one who has ever pulled off in a match worth recording [my Jiggs versus Fe's Luigi - pretty amusing match as noted below] (and it's not consistent because fsmash has to be at very specific percents - but there is your early rest combo!). It also sets up for aerial bair or nair if you don't want the rest, and gives them more height so they can't try to fastfall/DI down and tech out as easily. So utilt is great, it's the only move that guarantees a KO if you read their DI at 40+%. Bair, nair, and fair do not give Jiggs those options as easily or efficiently as utilt. It's honestly not risky either (shieldgrabbing aerials/nair OoS isn't that hard either, and they do punish Jiggs aerials well). Or else show me your consistent nair/fair/bair -> rest combos, at which point I'll give you that Jiggs's utilt is outclassed (utilt to rest is consistent with little/no practice, which is why I emphasize the word consistent).

Dsmash has an amazing angle and it can hit lower than fsmash does, and it also is I think faster. It also leaves Jiggs WAY less risk if you want a roll read (if they don't roll and you fsmash at them, you're wide open - otherwise they have to close that distance). It's a tool you're not using properly.

Usmash can combo into Rest or into a move into rest, and can set up tech chases at very low percent, allowing you to tech-chase Sing -> stuff. It also KOs off the top with far less risk than Rest, and it's powerful for that use.

Rest heals, best KO move - nothing actually outclasses this move for what it does - only drawback is risk factor, which can be made negligible against most of the cast (Link and Ganondorf of course will OHKO you for a whiff [and Jiggs CAN if she wants to/worn down shield], but that's how they roll, and why one is more careful in that MU).

Jab is great for jab resets and a quick smack to knock people off - it's also not that bad on shields because double jab is possible, and if I'm not mistaken she can repeat it fairly quickly like Peach or Wario.

Dair lets you accelerate to catch up with fastfallers, and you can footstool cancel it if I'm not mistaken - restores jumps and also footstools opponent, leaving them in position where they must fall farther or jump into Jiggs aerial. This move is underused in my opinion, though it's tricky to use well (the other easy use is landing faster if you happen to need to bail a teammate out/get in the fray after a strong hit or are almost out of jumps, both of which are huge things for Jiggs).

I can't remember what Jiggs dtilt does, but if they make it like Kirby's it can advance under projectiles, which would be more than enough. Have to see what it does otherwise.

Uair combos into Rest if I'm not mistaken, and can KO off the top well at higher percents. I'd need to look at uair more to determine what else it's good for.

Pound has a great hitbox, the last hitbox can get reverse gimps hilariously early (see my match versus Fe here (note that my Jiggs is pretty lame and also I was bad at using certain moves well, and also that this version is older):
) and it can be used for recovery if low on jumps - a great move all-around.

Rollout lets one recover, can combo into rest if used properly for obscenely early KOs, and can allow mindgames. It also can KO on its own as well - a decent move, despite startup. Also a lot of characters have mediocre B moves, and sometimes more than just neutral b, so that's not a reason to fix this when they have bigger problems, while this still has some utility.

We're not discussing throw games because Falco's is worse than Jiggs - bthrow gives them either a ton of height or a ton of time since DIing lasers, uthrow is questionable at best, dthrow doesn't actually combo into anything, and neither does fthrow - and none of these KO at reasonable percents, either. I could over why each of Jigg's throws outclass Falco's [ex: bthrow has a much better angle], but we're not going there more (and if you did get others to agree that Jiggs throws need buffs (they don't, they have better angles for gimping than Falco throws), it would be a reason to buff his throws as well).

Your problems with Jiggs seem to be because you want her to have an entire moveset composed of all-purpose/obvious moves - and most characters don't have as many all-purpose moves as Jiggs does in the first place - if you used her other moves more creatively, I think you'd appreciate her moveset more, and using her moveset more effectively might improve your Jiggs too.

Like I said, I'll post my own thoughts later, since this post is long.

DubLTeamz

Master of Arbitrary Opnions
Well, then leave White Pikmin alone. Everything else can be used for spacing/combo starters/guards, and the most reliable kill is the spike.
Though the only way to kill onstage would be stage spiking with White Pikmin..... Maybe boost Purple Pikmin's KBG slightly so they kill, since they are slower and fly the least distance?

Razing Eruption should be tweaked:
Since it is kinda useless, and Ike is fine without it, make it his Final Smash. His current one is to much like Link's.
It would act more like Ganon's, and he would return to where he started it with his entry animation, sped up if its to slow.
(I know Final Smashes are low priority, but its cool to think about everyone having a unique Final Smash.)

Ness.... I suck with him and all, but does his recovery need a little help? Tried playing him and basically couldn't risk offstage, so easy to get gimped....
Also, Why can't Ness JC PK Pulse? Lucas can JC his PK Stun, (Should change the visual effect on it, is misleading) so why can't Ness?

Though I love Roy (New Main :p), his AirSideB is kinda, short. It also doesn't carry momentum properly. If I jump forward --> Nair --> Forward Flare Dash, it doesn't go as as far as Jump --> Forward Flare Dash? Also miss the reliable angle of the old AirSideB.

NEWB

The reason why bash wouldn't know how to use those moves is possibly because he doesn't tech chase, since he insists Jiggs should just stay in the air constantly.

Dtilt chains with fsmash well and hits at roughly the same angle as down smash, making it a very good fast attack, especially when smacking people near the edge like dsmash.

NEWB

Pk pulse is obscenely powerful. There should be no JC here. The only JC he needs to keep is the one on his downb which is where all the magic is.

SonicBrawler

Minus Backroom
Remove all stages, Final Destination only. Spiderman will be added, and everyone will be their correct sizes, bowser will be 20x taller, olimar will be an inch, etc. Trust me, im a minus dev.

Kien

A Meaningless Circle
Minus Backroom
SonicBrawler knows what he's talking about. We had 5 hours to get everything organized and sorted out.

Link ( As far as I understand, Kien was the only one who wanted those link buffs. Pin and glyph told him no more than a few times.)
Zelda ( Am I the the only one who plays with a Zelda that two to three hit zero-deaths everyone?

Regarding Link- Glyph never told me no because he left the BR far before I even thought to make those changes. Don't believe everything you hear.
Regarding Zelda- probably. Not sure if you realized but she can only spike with Dair and Farore's Wind now. If you're dying in 3 hits for reasons other than that, it's error on your part.

The Concept

Philosopher & Assassin
Zelda ( Am I the the only one who plays with a Zelda that two to three hit zero-deaths everyone?
I've been fighting Zelda since I started minus. I main Sheik and my roommate mains Zelda. Very epic fights on the N64 Final Destination.
Bash....who is this Zelda that's giving you so much trouble?
The only forum Zeldas I've faced are Lightning's and Kien's. They are both tough, and have beaten me their fair share of times.
NO ONE KILLS ME IN THREE HITS. Not Kien, not Glyph, not Gold. No one. These people I've named have beaten me a lot. And I mean numerous times. They're good. Still, three hits!? C'mon, Bash. You're not a bad player. You're my skill, if not slightly better, so I'm assuming it's the Zelda player and not you. Giving you the benefit of the doubt here. Bring him to me and we'll see if your words are validated.