Side-B still no good

Thanatoast

Grim Reaper in Training
First of all, props to the Minus crew for making the Side-B viable in the air with the jump-cancel
However... it's still not quite as good as it should be. I don't quite understand why side-B while in the air forces the Ice Climbers to fall into special tumble... Normally, I could understand if, say it entered into an infinite combo or something. But the problem is that the Ice Climbers' side-B doesn't really combo into much on the ground. The end-lag from this really just, well, doesn't allow them to do much. It might be able to set up a really slow combo if the end hit knocks the enemy into the air. But that is a serious maybe.
The Ice Climbers also have abysmal horizontal recovery period. Why punish the player as well by throwing in the special tumble? It's not like you could combo in the air easily with this. The Ice Climbers still feel high risk and high work with little reward. At the very least, make it so that they can recover in the air proper.
Popo and Nana gotta be able to recover horizontally. :(

Thor

First of all, props to the Minus crew for making the Side-B viable in the air with the jump-cancel
However... it's still not quite as good as it should be. I don't quite understand why side-B while in the air forces the Ice Climbers to fall into special tumble... Normally, I could understand if, say it entered into an infinite combo or something. But the problem is that the Ice Climbers' side-B doesn't really combo into much on the ground. The end-lag from this really just, well, doesn't allow them to do much. It might be able to set up a really slow combo if the end hit knocks the enemy into the air. But that is a serious maybe.
The Ice Climbers also have abysmal horizontal recovery period. Why punish the player as well by throwing in the special tumble? It's not like you could combo in the air easily with this. The Ice Climbers still feel high risk and high work with little reward. At the very least, make it so that they can recover in the air proper.
Popo and Nana gotta be able to recover horizontally. :(

I can't tell if you're trolling or just actually have never seen it ever, but if you mash B in the air while doing side+b, similar to Luigi Cyclone, you can height while using it.

You can gain a lot of height with this method. While it is PM [and this height gain might be higher than what is possible in Minus], here is an example of what I mean [watch until 2:38]:

Thanatoast

Grim Reaper in Training
.... I am a fool. I did not think to mash. I am trying to get out of the button mash mentality, so I never tried it... So
that answers one point.
But my other question still stands. Why do the Ice Climbers go into special tumble at the end of the animation?